Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
But our big PM will pay million's so that does not happen! We are already 1.2 Trillion in dept! What the hell? Take care of us here! IN CANADA!
We here in Canada have a huge homeless problem that appears to be growing every year…we can’t even get that fixed up a bit…I agree with ya on all your post but we don’t get much say other than write letters, then write some more letters
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-07-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
So tell me, what would be an acceptable world population number where the entire planet could enjoy a decent standard of living and life expectancy ? We have cities of 30 m where the people are packed in like sardines that they never leave, don't even know anything else. We on the other hand are still fortunate enough to have the elbow room our species was intended to have. You're saying the same for everyone and we need to aspire to that ?
10 % of the worlds people are not sure where their next meal is coming from. The Covid epidemic is a warning from Ma Nature that we need to pay attention, this is just the preview.

Grizz
When in the history of the world has the standard of living been better?

Has anyone been on a plane recently? Look out the window. The space in the world is enormous.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
But our big PM will pay million's so that does not happen! We are already 1.2 Trillion in dept! What the hell? Take care of us here! IN CANADA!
What’s another trillion or two? Not his money anyway…. Should be illegal to run a deficit.

Wonder if he’s given Toronto our hard earned “bail out” money yet.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
In Africa? Simple- HUNT!
About the only places animals thrive in Africa are on the hunt farms and concessions we see on tv and pay money to hunt and preserves and national parks or where few people live. Could get shot trying to poach in those places. Pretty much everywhere else game is pretty scarce and most has been poached and eaten already. Most ordinary peasants in Africa don't even have guns let alone a place to hunt or transportation to get there.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
The potato farmer's input costs basically doubled this year. The transport of that bag of potatoes increased significantly this year. The heat and power at your local grocer also increased this year.
The local grocers profit has also doubled and in some cases tripled, so there is that!!
Old 12-07-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
The local grocers profit has also doubled and in some cases tripled, so there is that!!
You should look a little closer at your claims. If you’re right, why haven’t you invested in them and raked in those record profits and dividends?
Old 12-07-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The reason food is so expensive here is people are really gullible and believe anything they are told. The only reason prices continue to go up is the greed for the shareholders.

Much of our farmable land with good soils are used for growing oil seed and oil seeds have no nutritional value. Corporate farming isn't interested in supplying actual food. Instead, we import grown foods from other countries when we really could use our lands to grow our own nutritional foods. There would be less transportation needed and less costs involved.

If third world countries can feed a person for a dollar or two a day logic would suggest we could feed a person for the same amount or even a little more.
So I have a buddy that started six years ago by renting one quarter and over the next five seasons has grown to 5 quarters. I help him with harvest for free originally, now he pays me. He had to take almost half a million dollars in loans to buy old equipment to start with. So he grows canola because of greed you are saying? Canola sells for basically twice the price of wheat and maybe has an additional 10-20% of inputs. If you had one or two quarters to farm to pay half a million dollars of loan payments would you avoid canola? Whether it’s 2 quarters, or 2 townships any farmer is going to maximize what their land can provide them. And they all rotate the canola to try and avoid clubroot. Canola is what keeps most farms solvent, it has nothing to do with greed.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
In Africa? Simple- HUNT!
Africa is experiencing the worlds fastest urban growth so I doubt your guess is accurate. Lol

Food costs suck right now and there are countless factors. I’m just glad we don’t buy meat and I grow a huge garden.

On another note, it’s mystifying to me that people can’t accept human overpopulation . It took until roughly 1800 to hit a billion. Then another 120 to hit 2 million, then in in the next 100 years, roughly 8 billion. “Nothing to see here, it’s all good, ignore all of those infectious diseases we work so hard to minimize “ , while accepting Mother Nature throws things like mange at coyotes when they get over populated is indeed weird to me.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
So I have a buddy that started six years ago by renting one quarter and over the next five seasons has grown to 5 quarters. I help him with harvest for free originally, now he pays me. He had to take almost half a million dollars in loans to buy old equipment to start with. So he grows canola because of greed you are saying? Canola sells for basically twice the price of wheat and maybe has an additional 10-20% of inputs. If you had one or two quarters to farm to pay half a million dollars of loan payments would you avoid canola? Whether it’s 2 quarters, or 2 townships any farmer is going to maximize what their land can provide them. And they all rotate the canola to try and avoid clubroot. Canola is what keeps most farms solvent, it has nothing to do with greed.
It could also be due to the fact that the Canola Growers association makes funds very available for people who want to grow Canola. My dad is a farmer and I didn’t even know this sadly and actually learned it from a relative on my wife’s side who just went into farming so to speak and I asked him how it was even possible. I learned some very interesting things from him, such as how much interest free cash is available and things like “intended seeding cash advances”. This knowledge completely made me restructure my thoughts on what I’m going to do when I inherit farm land.

Last edited by Rvsask; 12-08-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:29 AM

i under stand where you are coming from prices are going up but so are our wages So when you asked for a dollar rise for five years in a row it took that bag of potatoes to finally up there price. Lol
Where I work they doubled the shop rate form $100 to $200 an hr over the last 10 years just like my wage has doubled over the last 10 years
So I guess if we all want that bag of potatoes
to drop we need to drop our wages and that will never happen lol
Life sucks.
I sure miss buying a case of beer for $5.00 and fill filling up my truck for $20 when I started hunting instead of $200. y
Old 12-08-2022, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
It wont be us starving, we can always find the money to pay for the bag of spuds. There are people in other countries that will starve.
I'm thinking you might want to take a serious look at the current financial situation in this country and also take into account how fast it's changing!
Old 12-08-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
It could also be due to the fact that the Canola Growers association makes funds very available for people who want to grow Canola. My dad is a farmer and I didn’t even know this sadly and actually learned it from a relative on my wife’s side who just went into farming so to speak and I asked him how it was even possible. I learned some very interesting things from him, such as how much interest free cash is available and things like “intended seeding cash advances”. This knowledge completely made me restructure my thoughts on what I’m going to do when I inherit farm land.
I have to laugh at you and all the other critics complaining about food prices. Really.

You spite someone who is actually taking risk and spending on Capital to make a profit and pay taxes???

Last year your Canola growing relatives were hammered in Alberta because of a drought. Did you factor last year into the net return? This year a big area of Alberta got hammered with hail, making TWO LOSS YEARS IN A ROW.

Of course we want Farmers to make money and lots of it. Farmers then take that money and SPEND IT in the Economy! What's more, we need young farmers entering into the business, and I hope you do follow through and farm if you inherit good farm land.

Food prices are going up because of World Food Demand. World Food Demand driving up prices is because of the fact that Russia and Ukraine are not selling into the World Market because of the war and the economic sanctions against Russia.

As for the poor nations, high food prices do not matter in a subsistence economy like what exists in most African Nations. They never had money to buy the food in the first place.

Drewski
Old 12-08-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post

Has anyone been on a plane recently? Look out the window. The space in the world is enormous.
For us fortunate wealthy people, Or worse, for others. That space you speak of is utilized to the limit not to mention polluted and dangerous to our health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI1AaZ9OkH8

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-08-2022, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I have to laugh at you and all the other critics complaining about food prices. Really.

You spite someone who is actually taking risk and spending on Capital to make a profit and pay taxes???

Last year your Canola growing relatives were hammered in Alberta because of a drought. Did you factor last year into the net return? This year a big area of Alberta got hammered with hail, making TWO LOSS YEARS IN A ROW.

Of course we want Farmers to make money and lots of it. Farmers then take that money and SPEND IT in the Economy! What's more, we need young farmers entering into the business, and I hope you do follow through and farm if you inherit good farm land.

Food prices are going up because of World Food Demand. World Food Demand driving up prices is because of the fact that Russia and Ukraine are not selling into the World Market because of the war and the economic sanctions against Russia.

As for the poor nations, high food prices do not matter in a subsistence economy like what exists in most African Nations. They never had money to buy the food in the first place.

Drewski
Huh, spite?
Just pointing out something about programs there to help somebody isn’t spite . Lol
P.S , my dad got hail too, made out like a bandit and got 100% on it, which he claimed was very generous. That’s not spite either.

Last edited by Rvsask; 12-08-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
And of course fuel prices were way up, as were parts and maintenance for farm equipment, if you could get parts. Inflation and the carbon tax made everything more expensive. If you were unlucky enough for a tractor/implement tire to fail, you might wait weeks or months for a replacement, and not be able to use that equipment in the meantime. So farmers costs were way up, so higher crop prices didn't increase profits as much as some people think. And of course it cost more to transport and process those crops even after they were harvested, again money that the farmers didn't get.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-08-2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default Throw the majority of the 8 billion people

Quote:

Throw the majority of the 8 billion people on this planet into the vastness you speak of when you look out the window of a plane, and within a month 50% of them will be dead, and life will be very bleak for the rest of us.
Society exists for a reason. And anyone still hanging on to the edge out here in the Canadian wilderness, you're not really part of society. That, society, exists because of cities.
Just in time supply and economics, on every level.
Cities are where you don't want to be if society fails.
Getting close here.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Have to wonder if the POS wants us to starve??

Wonder no more? https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/votes/44/1/238
Old 12-10-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_plinker View Post
Throw the majority of the 8 billion people on this planet into the vastness you speak of when you look out the window of a plane, and within a month 50% of them will be dead, and life will be very bleak for the rest of us.
Society exists for a reason. And anyone still hanging on to the edge out here in the Canadian wilderness, you're not really part of society. That, society, exists because of cities.
Just in time supply and economics, on every level.
Cities are where you don't want to be if society fails.
Getting close here.
That vastness is what feeds them. If someone can find me data. Actual data that show’s population growth as a negative correlation to standard of living or poverty I’m all ears.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Some misinformation in this post. I grow canola as well. Interest free cash advances are made available for a lot of different commodities. Not only canola. I have used this APP for 20+ years but never for canola. You pay an administration payment and then there is a lien basically on your crop and the advance must be paid back first. Advance Payment Program is very popular and there is very little trouble with people defaulting. It is registered with your bank as well.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:

We have fallen in comparison to other nations.

https://bcbc.com/insights-and-opinio...ards-over-time

This data goes to 2014, but with the 2015 economic crisis and covid, I doubt it has improved much since 2014.

Old 12-10-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
Some misinformation in this post. I grow canola as well. Interest free cash advances are made available for a lot of different commodities. Not only canola. I have used this APP for 20+ years but never for canola. You pay an administration payment and then there is a lien basically on your crop and the advance must be paid back first. Advance Payment Program is very popular and there is very little trouble with people defaulting. It is registered with your bank as well.
The canola people only do the grain advance paperwork for the feds since the wheat board demise, what you grow has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Your comment is kinda why I got a note from my sons school you have to get them to stop saying urbanites are stupid, if you are really from a farm god help us.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:55 PM

Default Inflation

Can anyone say Covid-19! If the scam wasn’t perpetuated there would be no inflation to speak of. Supply chain issues because of lockdowns as well as the unlimited printing of money to give to people to stay home. Too much money chasing limited products will always raise the price of goods. Fake war in Ukraine
pushing up gas and grain prices.
Carbon taxes on top of that increase in transportation prices which increase the price of goods.
Let’s keep chasing our tail.
We need to get rid of the globalists.
RH
Old 12-10-2022, 07:05 PM

I am an old fart. When I was growing up we would not buy anything without the money to pay for it. Going into hock was not an option. No money - don't spend it

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-10-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
i under stand where you are coming from prices are going up but so are our wages So when you asked for a dollar rise for five years in a row it took that bag of potatoes to finally up there price. Lol
Where I work they doubled the shop rate form $100 to $200 an hr over the last 10 years just like my wage has doubled over the last 10 years
So I guess if we all want that bag of potatoes
to drop we need to drop our wages and that will never happen lol
Life sucks.
I sure miss buying a case of beer for $5.00 and fill filling up my truck for $20 when I started hunting instead of $200. y

I would definitely say it depends the industry. I am a professional working in the oil and gas industry and my personal increase (working for the same company the entire 10 years) in salary is about 30% over that decade.

I have lost significant purchasing power working in an industry that has been largely responsible for the inflationary increase over the last 2+years.

I do not have any backup data, but I would expect that there are very very few jobs that have doubled their earnings in Alberta the last decade. And when comparing to the cost of living over the last decade, most are further behind.

My $0.02 for what it’s worth.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, thanks for clarifying. Being part of a family cow calf operation as well, we use this as an interest free loan on our calf crop as well, so it goes along with the large majority of ag commodities.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esher View Post
Your comment is kinda why I got a note from my sons school you have to get them to stop saying urbanites are stupid, if you are really from a farm god help us.
Please explain more deeply, the grammar aspect of your statement makes it extremely confusing. Are you just astounded that someone could understand some of the ins and outs of farm programs, grants, inputs, insurance premiums, subsidies, risks, rewards, etc even though they don’t actually farm? Like pst exemptions here in Sask for example.

I hate to break it to you, there’s lots of guys like me. I graduated in a little town with a dozen guys who’s dads were farmers, only one of us actually farms. You know, the rise of the corporate farm, the slow death of the small farmer.

Last edited by Rvsask; 12-11-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I was not saying that interest free loans were not available for other commodities, just pointing out something some people don’t likely know. I’m really not sure if interest free loans exist for other businesses, haven’t looked into it.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
This whole statement is urbanite speak. You imply people grow canola to get funds, 100 percent wrong, also implying funds only for canola. The cash advance program is older than you and you just learned of it but you are knowledgeable of farming. I think not, Thats my take on your comment.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
That vastness is what feeds them. If someone can find me data. Actual data that show’s population growth as a negative correlation to standard of living or poverty I’m all ears.
Only a small part of the earth's surface lends itself to cultivation, the Green Revolution, based on GMOs and chemical use gave us a reprieve, that's out the window now. Just look at Ontario, arguably the most fertile part of Canada, can't pave it over fast enough. Sometimes data doesn't tell the entire story. It's easy to whine about food waste, but there will always be inefficiencies you can't get around. what kind of logic supports a planet where it's standing room only ? Economists build their entire theories believe in perpetual expansion, they might want to remember Malthus.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 12-11-2022 at 09:33 AM.