Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 01:40 PM
Banned

Exclamation December 7th 1941

Never Forget!!

Old 12-07-2022, 01:50 PM

Thankfully, in 1941, there were millions of young people willing to go to war to fight for freedom, if something like this happened today, I doubt that we could raise the army that we need, because society has changed too much, and many people would not be willing to make the sacrifice.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Thankfully, in 1941, there were millions of young people willing to go to war to fight for freedom, if something like this happened today, I doubt that we could raise the army that we need, because society has changed too much, and many people would not be willing to make the sacrifice.
Ad to this that our woke western leaders wouldn't do a damn thing to fight back. Other than sanctions upon sanctions. Seems no one want to stand up to aggression these days. Easier to cancel it out and pretend it never happened or tear down the statue.

BW
Old 12-07-2022, 02:28 PM

Yes, my Dad served, he spent 2 1/2 years over there.

Now we have a woke generation where the ultimate sacrifice is an overnight camping trip where there is no cell phone service

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:37 PM

They are going to have to bring back conscription. I would never let my sons fight for whatever our corrupt leaders claim. This is now a reality. Blind faith in your leaders will get you killed.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:58 PM

“A date which will live in infamy”

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-07-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Never Forget!!

Our young today, could solve anything with a hot latte, warm hugs, and avocado toast! Who needs war when there’s avocado toast!
Old 12-07-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Our young today, could solve anything with a hot latte, warm hugs, and avocado toast! Who needs war when there’s avocado toast!
The guy who is trying to take away your hot latte, warm hugs, and avocado toast. Sometimes, the only thing a thug understands is terminal physical deterrence.

That is the only reason why Europe continued to exist as free people after the Second World War.

Drewski
Old 12-07-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yes - sounds alot like this quote:

"WHAT is America but beauty queens, millionaires, stupid records and Hollywood?"

Adolf Hitler, 1940

Come on guys - each generation thinks the ones coming after are ruining everything...
Old 12-07-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Nice, it only took one reply to **** talk the next generation...

I think the boomers on this board would be surprised with what this next generation is capable of if we were to descend into a full-on world war...
Old 12-07-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefish View Post
Yes - sounds alot like this quote:

"WHAT is America but beauty queens, millionaires, stupid records and Hollywood?"

Adolf Hitler, 1940

Come on guys - each generation thinks the ones coming after are ruining everything...
When the second world war started, we were just getting over the great depression, people were tough then, and would do pretty much anything to feed and house themselves, we didn't have the huge amount of entitled woke people that we do now. It was a different time, and different people.
I watched a video where a truck pulled into a city in the Ukraine, and people started unloading firearms and passing them out to citizens to go fight the Russians with. Everyone was anxious to take a firearm and fight. Do you really believe that if the trucks pulled into Toronto or Vancouver, after our country was invaded, you would see the same response? My own belief is that more people would run away from the trucks than towards them. If you could fight wars on a computer, the response might be better, but that isn't the case yet.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 12-07-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:12 PM

Thank you to those who fought in the two world wars. Without them, I could not have lived the (mostly) free life I have enjoyed.
One day another war may arrive at our door steps. I don't believe Canada is ready for a foreign invasion, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default December 7th 1941

Quote:
Never Forget!!

Thx for the thread Nog.

As with the past when and if called upon whatever generation it is will do it’s part for our great nation.

It’s not about a politician, a person you don’t like or like but for all that call Canada home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 12-07-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:07 PM

I’m sure most would stand and defend their family and home(Canada). I’m not sure many would sign up to fight a foreign war? But like all people you get the flightier and you get the fighters.

I know many young people that believe what us baby boomers believe, and would fight to keep it.

Remembering the fallen and brave on this day.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:25 PM

Default War

A week ago yesterday I was at Vimy ridge with my son. WOW is an understatement. Also did Flanders fields and attended the last post in Ypres Belgium which is played EVERY single day rain or shine. Very moving. Have a whole new appreciation for the sacrifices made
Old 12-07-2022, 05:27 PM

Default Interesting date to remember.

I'll have to put it into my Calendar next year to post something about Dec 6th, 1989. Because I remember that date far more than Dec 7, 1941.

So much else to say...but I'll hold off.

Smitty
Old 12-07-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Never Forget!!

Thanx for sharing...

So many have no fringing clue what it means...
Old 12-07-2022, 06:01 PM

If you were troubled that Canadians aren’t all that nostalgic about dec 7 1941 it may be because it has no real significance to Canada. It’s the day the Americans joined the war when they were attacked. Canada had been fighting already for many months. September 10, 1939. The Canadian history you are remembering is American.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
If you were troubled that Canadians aren’t all that nostalgic about dec 7 1941 it may be because it has no real significance to Canada. It’s the day the Americans joined the war when they were attacked. Canada had been fighting already for many months. September 10, 1939. The Canadian history you are remembering is American.
Then again, I consider the date to be very significant, up until then, we were fighting the war without the USA, and without them, the war would have gone on for much,much longer.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t go. The people of this country are not worth fighting for.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
They are going to have to bring back conscription. I would never let my sons fight for whatever our corrupt leaders claim. This is now a reality. Blind faith in your leaders will get you killed.
Youve got that right. My boys wouldnt be going anywhere. And those that tried to enforce it would die on my lawn
Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 PM

Again thx for the thread. My dad served in the Navy during WWll. The HMCS Niagara. Unfortunately, I think times have changed.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Thx for the thread Nog.

As with the past when and if called upon whatever generation it is will do it’s part for our great nation.

It’s not about a politician, a person you don’t like or like but for all that call Canada home.
Exactly.

Thank you, Nog.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:19 PM
Banned

Half the youth can't figure out what Bathroom to use, Woman are acting more like Men every day, The media avoids using Gendered terms like "Boyfriend" and "Girlfriend" now replaced with "Partner" as to not trigger someone. We need to be real with the reality of Canada, Tolerance has put us in the Toilet and if Canada found ourselves in real trouble We quite frankly don't have a reliable younger generation to get us out of it.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:56 PM

I have absolutely no doubt that “our youth” would step up en masse to defend if Canada was threatened… and would now include as many women as men.
Old 12-08-2022, 06:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
I assume you live here in Canada and many would make sacrifices without hesitation so that you can sit and post.

Have a great day.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-08-2022, 11:03 AM

I imagine many veterans would line back up because they more than most get it! I had my war already but if push came to shove I’d go back in a heart beat so my parents sister wife and son wouldn’t have too!

I also think that in the event of another world war a lot of civil liberties would be somewhat restricted to raise a military. But then again they were during the first 2 as well so nothing new precedent wise there.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack fish hunter View Post
Call me old fashion, but all of my family members alone, specially my children, and that’s not counting my very few friends and many acquaintances, would have me counted as in! I’m not about fighting a rich man’s war, but to say that the PEOPLE of this country aren’t worth fighting for, are you joking, am I missing something here, maybe a hidden post, please explain?