Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 01:30 PM

Default Salvage car inspection

Two dented doors, that's it. need someone who knows an "Honest" salvage inspection place that's not trying to upsell body work, have that in place already for next spring. Calgary, vehicle mint, inspected by a mechanic but not a certified salvage inspector. PM me, or post witty comments in here.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:31 PM

That's the problem once it is flagged as a write off, there are only 2 choices. Salvage or non rebuildable.

As soon as it is salvage, you have to get a salvage inspection to re insure/register it again and that mandates a mechanical side and a body side inspection. A hole in the exhaust, a broken windshield, brakes under the industry thickness will all fail that inspection until it is corrected.

Designed to keep the back yard rebuilders from putting crap back on the road but really sucks when it is an older vehicle and only needs as you mention, 2 doors repaired or a bumper assembly and it wrote off the car. The cost for the inspection and possible repairs to pass that inspection can be crazy when you think these items would not even be looked at yet if it were not in a crash.

Most body shops will know of a couple places that do these salvage inspections. Sounds like you got one lined up, they should know who is good and who check marks every little thing for that upsell.
Old 12-08-2022, 05:01 PM

I think frame king in Calgary still does the salvage inspection, they are quite picky ( amvic) the inspection has a book to go by , and once you pick a shop to do the salvage inspection that's the only one that you can deal with no taking it to another shop , ( Stupid rules) but those guys there are pretty good
Old 12-09-2022, 07:55 AM

If it is truly only two dented doors, go to a wreckers and replace them yourself before you get the inspection done. It will be cheaper than having the body shop do it after you get the first inspection.

Since the vehicle was already written off I would suspect there is some frame damage or the door pillar is bent. It could also be something like the suspension components are worn and too costly to replace. I once had an insurance adjuster try to write off my SUV because the tail light lens was broken (apparently anything that allows for the illegal operation of the vehicle is an automatic fail). It ended up costing me $35 and 10 minutes of my time to fix.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-09-2022, 08:17 AM

they may also fail the vehicle if rust has perforated through the sheet metal of the cabin as it constitutes a CO risk as well as excessive rust on the frame. you also stated that only 2 doors need replacing, get a copy of the estimate and find out if the air bags activated or the center pillar or lower sill needs to be replaced. I don't know the age of the vehicle, but the insurance company wrote it off for a reason, specifically repair costs/blue book value.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:29 AM

About 6 years ago I had a 2001 Toyota Highlander that a deer ran into the side of...denting 2doors like you said. The claims inspector showed me the sheet for almost 9k in repair, and I almost crapped myself. He said they price for brand new doors as if it had an airbag, even though many like mine never came equipped for one. Doesn't help the op, was just pointing out that 2 doors alone can write something off instantly, repair costs are just so expensive now.