Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
They aren't and he was charged.
Rightfully so.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM

I utter threats to my kids all the time

If at any point of their lives it comes to them rolling around in the back of a police car.....I may pull out the old, "if you do it again I will tazer you in the nutz" line.....yup, I could definately see that happening

tm
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Banned

I used to tell my daughter that I'd sell her to the gypsies for a case of beer!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
he was charged.
I'm thinkin' a 2 day suspension with pay to be served right before he books his next holidays outta cover it

tm
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I'm thinkin' a 2 day suspension with pay to be served right before he books his next holidays outta cover it

tm
He's suspended with pay and he gets sentenced in June.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I doubt that any of us would get a paid suspension as a sentence, if we were found guilty of threatening bodily harm.

Quote:
Anyone wanna bet that there's a post traumatic stress lawsuit coming?
It would teach the officer a lesson,if it cost him a fair amount of cash.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 PM

Rightfully so
x2

I'm with you Elkhunter. That wasn't a minor indiscretion. It's a slippery slope, and I too am disturbed by the trend of police in crossing the line, and often by the lack of action by other, witnessing officers.

It's not up to the police to mete out what they feel is 'justice'.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 PM

This isn't suprising. Cops threatening or beating up people for nothing....... tell me something new. LOL. Had fun once or twice with the cops, threatening violence on me and such. I can't believe some of you agree with this. Maybe it's ok for you to blow off steam by causing violence towards others, but these are PEACE officers.

Hmmm, maybe if I want a job where I can physically hurt people with no consequence I'll join the police force. Then my punishment will be a nice paid vacation, lots of fishing time and no worry of not making enough money to pay my bills.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

The generalizations on here by the anti-police crowd are borderline idiotic. It is laughable that this bravado and "expertise" comes from people who do not have all the facts, have no training in law enforcement, no legal training and obvious vendettas against law enforcement. Frankly, with people making comments like these, a case can be made for the extreme tolerance of police officers in not using their tasers more often...these inane comments get my heart rate up and I'm not even a cop!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
These instances of the police breaking the laws that they are paid to uphold are getting more common every day,and it is time for a crackdown on the police.
Police violence/brutality/ is no more common then it was 30 years ago, just the prevelance of social media and the increased proportion of security cameras and those carrying recording devices is exponentially higher.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
The generalizations on here by the anti-police crowd are borderline idiotic. It is laughable that this bravado and "expertise" comes from people who do not have all the facts, have no training in law enforcement, no legal training and obvious vendettas against law enforcement...these inane comments get my heart rate up and I'm not even a cop!
And yet the police,who have the "training" and "expertise",and know all the facts, are finding the actions of many of these officers to be unacceptable,and are charging the officers as a result of their actions.

Quote:
Frankly, with people making comments like these, a case can be made for the extreme tolerance of police officers in not using their tasers more often.
Like during the Vancouver Airport incident?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 PM

How would you have handled it if you were the cop Elk?? Each second that it takes the guys that got away are getting further away....is it not worth trying to scare it out of him? It was worth a try. No one got hurt and no use of "excessive" force imo.

tm
Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Rightfully so
x2

I'm with you Elkhunter. That wasn't a minor indiscretion. It's a slippery slope, and I too am disturbed by the trend of police in crossing the line, and often by the lack of action by other, witnessing officers.

It's not up to the police to mete out what they feel is 'justice'.
I'm more disturbed by the people that don't see anything wrong with police doing things that would get the average citizen a date with a Judge.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
How would you have handled it if you were the cop Elk??
According to the laws that an officer is paid to uphold.

Quote:
It was worth a try. No one got hurt and no use of "excessive" force imo.
The officer was charged and convicted,so obviously the police and judge don't agree with your opinion.

Quote:
I'm more disturbed by the people that don't see anything wrong with police doing things that would get the average citizen a date with a Judge.
Exactly my point.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:46 AM

ok you win.

He should have asked who his friends were more politely.

tm
Old 02-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Banned

There was no violence and no one got hurt so what do you want to do......call an ambulance for the criminal because he got his feelings hurt? The Officer was charged with one count of threatening bodily harm. How many people watched both videos and figured that both prisoners were treated unfairly? Obviously one of the two busts was good otherwise the Officer would have been charged with two counts.

I figure that I have a pretty good case against my old Sargeant Major for saying that he'd rip my arm off and beat me to death with the wet end! Oh yeah, he said that he'd rip my lungs out one time too. Toture I tell ya.............
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
He should have asked who his friends were more politely.
Yes, as long as he said please and thank you. But if the guy didn't want to give up his friend then he should have been able to resort to tickling him until he did.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And yet the police,who have the "training" and "expertise",and know all the facts, are finding the actions of many of these officers to be unacceptable,and are charging the officers as a result of their actions.

Like during the Vancouver Airport incident?
There have clearly been incidents where officers have acted inappropriately and sanctioned for that conduct. Does that mean that there are systemic problems in the various police forces across Canada? Nope. Does this mean that every cop out there is a bully? Nope. Does this mean that we are all one step away from a beating/tasering by a police officer? Nope.

Your reports are meaningless in that they are isolated incidents (especially given the tens of thousands daily, yet un-newsworthy, interactions between police officers and the public).

The only trend is your exaggerated opinions to these incidents is a tendency to attempt to incite hatred towards a group of public servants that already have a difficult enough occupation.

The inferences you invite us to make are ridiculous and ill-conceived.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges. In the execution of their duty, police officers are invested with additional statutory power to do things that "average citizens" cannot legally do. The proper test isn't whether a cop is doing something an "average citizen" can or can't do... it is whether that cop is acting in compliance with his or her statutory (and ethical) duties.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The only trend is your exaggerated opinions to these incidents is a tendency to attempt to incite hatred towards a group of public servants that already have a difficult enough occupation.

The majority of police officers are good people that are just doing their job,but there are a few rogue officers that have a habit of doing what they please,regardless of whether it is legal or not.Until recently,the police forces have been blindly defending the actions of these officers,which has certainly damaged the reputation of the force as a whole.Now that so many recordings of these illegal activities by police officers are being made public,the resulting public outcry has resulted in the police forces finally starting to deal with some of these few rogue officers.Had the police forces been dealing with these officers all along,the reputation of the police forces,would not have sunk to the low levels that they are now at.Incidents like the Vancouver Airport incident,and the resulting attempt to cover up the incident,have led to a great deal of mistrust for the police,and it will take a great effort by the police to win back the trust of the people.Every single incident like this one and the one in Kelowna,make that possibility even more difficult.In each of these cases,other officers were present,that could have intervened,but they chose not to do so,which doesn't make them look much better than the officers that actually committed the illegal acts.All officers need to realize that they need to police their fellow officers,just as they police the general public.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Gone Hunting

The cop crossed the line. Twice. Whether he bargained one charge away or not is irrelevant.

Tough job, only doing his job. Bull. Lots of people do tough jobs everyday. I've known lots of cops who were tough guys and would not pull this crap. I also know cops who should never have been cops who thought this kind of behavior was macho stuff. A cuffed guy getting trashed was recreation.

There's people in every profession that passed at the top of the class and those who shouldn't be in that line of work.

The cop in the video is the sane guy who will write the chicken**** ticket.

Like it or not the guy in the car has a right to shut his mouth. The taser is not a tool for cops to extract information.

I"m as 'law and order ' as it gets. There's plenty wrong with the legal system and it can be frustrating to bust someone and have some liberal judge turn him loose. Suck it up buttercup. Change the system or work within it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Default hhmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
They should have pulled the trigger and maybe it'd be oneless idiot breeding more idiots.
If you think that way, then there is a problem. How will you feel when one of those boys pull you. Figure they may think you know something they want to know!!
This kind doesn't belong in the service, and sure as hell don't deserve the stripes!