Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM

I have never used olive oil or oil on my steaks. What is the benefit of doing so?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Club House rubs. I may be incorrect in the terminology, but they're a thick paste like tomato paste and come in a few flavors. They don't run off on the grille like those steak sauces that are more like a salad dressing. Just be careful not to cross contaminate the bottle with meat juice from the spoon. They used to sell the stuff in bigger size containers at Costco, but I think the cross contaminators sentenced us to the small jars as a result. Their Montreal one is my fave too, the Mrs puts it on our roasts as well.
They're awesome on chicken too.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM

olive oil on steaks can do a few things...as a marinade component, letting it sit n some olive oil for a chunk of time (more than an hour) it will help to flavor and tenderize the meat....if you apply it just before cooking it will help to get a better sear on your steak as well as prevent sticking to your grill etc.

here is how I like to do a large, thick T-bone.

will need:
Olive oil
fresh garlic
salt and pepper
Fresh lemon
Butter
I start by cutting some thin strips of the lemon rind off of the lemon...I find a vegetable peeler works well to do this...make sure you only get the yellow part of the lemon not the white pith. I slice these strips into small "chunks" about half the size of a penny.

with the steak I slice 3 or 4 shallow slits on each side of the steak and then insert a small slice of the lemon rind into each of the holes. I then apply some olive oil and salt and pepper to each side. Then take a clove of garlic and cut it in half..take one half and rub the steak with it....especially along the t-bone. The bone acts like a grater and turns the garlic into a nice paste that mixes well with the oil and salt and pepper. and really gets into the pores of the bone and makes a nice aromatic for the steak.

grill on high heat till medium rare (or your preferred level) then finish with a small dollop of butter and a light squeeze of lemon juice.

The first time I cooked this I was hesitant...beef and lemon did not seem like a match made in heaven to me....was I ever wrong!! It is fantastic.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Well fellow A/O members dug out the BBQ and gonna do some steaks for supper! I think I am a pretty good cook so here's how I do it.
1. Go buy some Beer and steaks.
2.Season steaks up withe garlic,pepper,sea salt,olive oil
3.Drink a beer maybe 2 could lead to ..................3!
4.heat BBQ up to.............. hot!
5.have another beer.............maybe 2!
6.cook steaks 6 minutes per side medium rare!!
Any body else have some good ideas for steaks!!
I would add as serving advice, open one beer bottle and position it slightly to the left of your plate and then open the second beer bottle and position it to the right of the plate (about the same distance as the one on the left side). Place one more unopened bottle, just in case, on the table within your reach. That now sounds like perfect meal

I personally hate to need to get up to get another beer when I am working so hard.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Ribeye steak, olive oil and Saskatchewan Steak Spice. Cook to medium rare on a George Foreman grill for 4 to 5 min. So tender and juicy as the dual hot plates keep it moist and cook it evenly pink in the middle. Try it. I have not used my BBQ all winter.
I forgot to mention I use white pepper as well and let it marinate. It is promoted as a meat tenderizer
Old 02-14-2011, 12:44 PM

I think a lot of you watch Diner's Drive in's and Dives. What an ignorant time to show awesome food like that, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Montreal stk spice or just garlic and some Lee And Perrins worchestershire,,,, and put liquid smoke(in the Flame)and don,t drink all the BEER ,,Put a bunch on the stk before and while BBQing with lots of Heat and some Flame...Mine are medium rare for the missus and Blue Rare for me and my Sons

Last edited by westren; 02-14-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: FORGOT SOME THING