Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Default Custody/passport dilemma.

Got a call from a friend this morning. She and her common-law are taking her 10 year old to Disneyland in April. Well she never thought it out about the daughters passport she needs a signature from the father whom left day 1 ten years ago. She finally tracked him down in a prison in Ontario! Once a loser always a loser. Anyways he's not cooperating. What are her options? They have shelled out alot of cash already for the trip but now may be screwed. Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Perhaps if your friend could acquire some documentation declaring her as having sole custody of her daughter and that the biological father is legally out of the picture it may have some sway. I have no idea where one would source such paperwork, but Revenue Canada may be a place to start, as she would be declaring her daughter for the annual tax credit. I'm sure others will have better information than myself. She might want to contact both Canadian and US customs agents to find what they consider acceptable proof in her situation.

I'm sure proof that Chuckles the Wonder Father is in prison could have some sway; obviously while he's incarcerated he can't have custody!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

I would guess contact a lawyer.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM

or contact the passport office for advice on how to proceed, as I'm sure they would have made decisions like this before.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

If the loser has no custody rights it should not be any problems! I would get some legal advice but if the border runs the fathers name, if it is on the birth certificate they will be able to establish his wherabouts quite easily!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Default Passport

I had a similar situation, the passport office has a form that you can fill out if the other parent is unreachable or uncooperative. I'm sure it would apply to this case.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

or maybe he might be a lot more cooperative if he thought said lady was going to initiate proceedings to collect 10 years of child support.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Customs Office & Passport Office

I am sure this is not the first time this has been dealt with. Getting ten years of child support out of deadbeat in jail is like trying to get blood from a stone. He probably knows he is untouchable so why waste the energy on him to make him think he is important in this childs life.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Got a call from a friend this morning. She and her common-law are taking her 10 year old to Disneyland in April. Well she never thought it out about the daughters passport she needs a signature from the father whom left day 1 ten years ago. She finally tracked him down in a prison in Ontario! Once a loser always a loser. Anyways he's not cooperating. What are her options? They have shelled out alot of cash already for the trip but now may be screwed. Any thoughts on the matter?
If the father on the birth certificate is 'unknown' then she doesn't need his signature.

With the father in Jail, best bet would be to go down to the passport office in Calgary, and wait in line
Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM

If the above suggestions don't seem to be working for her in the time line she has before the trip, I'd suggest contacting her local MP. They seem to like to help people out in these circumstances.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 PM

We went through the same thing with my wifes daughter this spring, found the father and he wanted nothing to do with it, or with sigining anything, the cheap easy way to fix the problem is to go through the family court here in alberta, they were great to deal with and we had everything signed in about month. Hope it helps
Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

I say to hell with the Americans period.Shouldn`t need a pass port to go to the states.We didn`t turn all their flights away on 911.
I`ll never cross that border again,ungratefull paranoid azzhats.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I say to hell with the Americans period.Shouldn`t need a pass port to go to the states.We didn`t turn all their flights away on 911.
I`ll never cross that border again,ungratefull paranoid azzhats.
Needing both parents permission to cross the US border isn't about national security; its about trying to reduce parental abductions when one parent trries to disappear with the child/children against the other parents knowledge or permission.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Smile Just Line up!

Go to the Harry Hays building, line up and tell your story. It worked for us.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Been there done with a deadbeat Mom she just has to go stand before a judge explain her situation and get an exparte order which removes any signing rights of the other parent.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
or maybe he might be a lot more cooperative if he thought said lady was going to initiate proceedings to collect 10 years of child support.
And that she would be sure to make a submission at his parole hearing about what a %#%*&^# he still is.

But yeah, a document stating that 10 years of support payments will be waived in exchange for granting of sole custody rights would, I think, be pretty quickly signed.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
And that she would be sure to make a submission at his parole hearing about what a %#%*&^# he still is.

But yeah, a document stating that 10 years of support payments will be waived in exchange for granting of sole custody rights would, I think, be pretty quickly signed.
That's exactly what she's going to do oko. She is having the documents fed ex'd to the prison as they won't do the fax thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM

All she would have to do is petition the court for a decision on this matter. if she were to contact Family Justice Services they should be able to direct her. If her Ex hasn't been involved , it should be easy for the court to sign off and veto the need for his signature (maybe even for all matters). Hearings if needed can often be set up in less than a couple weeks...