Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
We've spent a week or more on at least 10 Caribbean islands with a VRBO, car rental etc with the family. Just did 11 nights on Curacao over this past Xmas/New Years. Our goal is never stay on the same island twice, no matter how amazing. We want to visit them all.

Anguilla is amazing. Most people have never been fortunate enough to spend time on beaches so beautiful. It is what I would describe as a true Caribbean island. Low population, bright colors, friendly locals, no big buildings, tiny beach side restaurants serving food that is off the charts, world class beaches/water and most importantly ....no cruise ports. Its not Americanized or touristy in the slightest.

KGB, if you spend lots of time on St Maarten. Take the ferry across to Anguilla and spend at least 3 or 4 days.
That sounds good! Can you give me an idea of price? say for two for a week?
Also what currency etc. Can p.m. if you want. How long of a flight from cowtown?

Thanks in advance

Orv.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:22 PM

Default Just back from Bucerius

3 weeks of 27 and 28 degrees and only had 3 cloudy on and off days. Prices are up a bit but our favorite restaurant is Miquel Angels and couple of beers with made at your table quacamole with corn chips and 4 freshly made large shrimp tacos came in around 400 pesos with tip.
Killing time after security waiting for our flight we decided to get an Italianno subway (300 pesos) to split from the Subway between Sbarro and KFC at 2 PM. We barely made it to the washroom in Calgary arrivals 6 hours later. Both of us were sick all night and yesterday.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
3 weeks of 27 and 28 degrees and only had 3 cloudy on and off days. Prices are up a bit but our favorite restaurant is Miquel Angels and couple of beers with made at your table quacamole with corn chips and 4 freshly made large shrimp tacos came in around 400 pesos with tip.
Killing time after security waiting for our flight we decided to get an Italianno subway (300 pesos) to split from the Subway between Sbarro and KFC at 2 PM. We barely made it to the washroom in Calgary arrivals 6 hours later. Both of us were sick all night and yesterday.
That sucks! the last part but not the rest.We love Bucerious. For quick math for those
that dont know . We use 100 pesos =$7.00 Canadian . Usually pretty close
depending on exchange of course but a good ballpark figure which helps a lot.
I.M.O. The locals always say that is only $4 or $5 senor. i tell them we are broke canadians not americans lol. The beach vendors know the exchange daily & dont lose on it.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:45 PM

We’ve been going to Bucerias for 20yrs. My mom lives down there in the winters. We spread my dad’s ashes at Destiladeras Beach in 2014. Definitely way busier and pricier but still reasonable. Just rented a brand new 3 bdrm condo on the beach at Xmas for $200/night. Rental car was $60/day with all insurances included. Grocery store prices are up but they are up everywhere. Did a Costco run. Bought produce at the farmers market under the bridge at the dry river. Hit up the farmers market in La Cruz and fresh seafood at the marina in La Cruz. Only ate out a couple times and it was cheaper than eating out here. And I avoid the airport food. For cost and sickness. The only time we’ve ever been sick is when my wife ate Subway in La Cruz. Ate it the first night and spent the next 6 days laying in bed and running to the bathroom as I floated in our pool and drank cerveza.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:01 PM

Default Just got Back last week

I just got back from 16 days in the Rivera Maya/Cozumel and really noticed an increase in the cost of things as well. Went for a lunch on 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen, my wife and I both had a shrimp dish with both of us drinking a coke and it came to $80.00 Not what it once was that is for sure. I have seen an increase in the standard of living of the people living in the area and as a result prices have increased. Nice to see the locals joining the middle class but I am not nearly as motivated to leave the all inclusive resort as I once was.

Viva Mexico though love that country!!!!
Old 03-21-2024, 07:03 PM

Default Funny you mention that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
We’ve been going to Bucerias for 20yrs. My mom lives down there in the winters. We spread my dad’s ashes at Destiladeras Beach in 2014. Definitely way busier and pricier but still reasonable. Just rented a brand new 3 bdrm condo on the beach at Xmas for $200/night. Rental car was $60/day with all insurances included. Grocery store prices are up but they are up everywhere. Did a Costco run. Bought produce at the farmers market under the bridge at the dry river. Hit up the farmers market in La Cruz and fresh seafood at the marina in La Cruz. Only ate out a couple times and it was cheaper than eating out here. And I avoid the airport food. For cost and sickness. The only time we’ve ever been sick is when my wife ate Subway in La Cruz. Ate it the first night and spent the next 6 days laying in bed and running to the bathroom as I floated in our pool and drank cerveza.
Funny you would say that, we both were fine during our trip but got a bug from the airport.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:27 PM

Air ports are the worst! If you can get through them, you're fine, but you have to watch where you eat! Spent 3 months down there! And loved it! But it is does get $$$$ if you eat out all the time! Destiladeras Beach beautiful place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Funny you would say that, we both were fine during our trip but got a bug from the airport.

Last edited by badbrass; 03-21-2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:29 PM

Been going to Bucerias for years. As we love it there! but the prices have gone up! But look at the new build's going on there. Lots!. But can the underground infurstructor can it keep up? Where the was maybe 3 toilets, and showers, there is now 300+, that's the question? It may be time to find a new place!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
We've spent a week or more on at least 10 Caribbean islands with a VRBO, car rental etc with the family. Just did 11 nights on Curacao over this past Xmas/New Years. Our goal is never stay on the same island twice, no matter how amazing. We want to visit them all.

Anguilla is amazing. Most people have never been fortunate enough to spend time on beaches so beautiful. It is what I would describe as a true Caribbean island. Low population, bright colors, friendly locals, no big buildings, tiny beach side restaurants serving food that is off the charts, world class beaches/water and most importantly ....no cruise ports. Its not Americanized or touristy in the slightest.

KGB, if you spend lots of time on St Maarten. Take the ferry across to Anguilla and spend at least 3 or 4 days.
That’s what we have been saying for the past 10 years and never made it happen, lol!
Been to Curaçao in 2004, was fun but not even close to SXM… BVI are no fun at all if you don’t have a boat…Didn’t care for Bahamas main island at all! St.Thomas was a ok, nothing really crazy…St.Barts is a beauty but you need a credit card size of a suitcase there, lol! I will never forget when we sailed into Gustavia- I swear to God I smelled money!
St.Maarten is still our by far favourite!
Old 03-22-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
That sounds good! Can you give me an idea of price? say for two for a week?
Also what currency etc. Can p.m. if you want. How long of a flight from cowtown?

Thanks in advance

Orv.
Are you talking about Curacao or Anguilla....not that it really matters I suppose.

The 2 biggest expenses are flights and accommodations. Both can differ greatly depending on time of year.

Toronto has direct flights to the bigger islands. But I absolutely detest flying through YYZ. Try to avoid it at all costs especially in the winter. To get to the smaller islands you fly in and then take a ferry over i.e Angullia, St Johns USVI etc. Miami has direct flights to pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean.

There are tons of options and airlines which allows you to get creative. We often spend a night or 2 on a layover somewhere interesting (like my Cancun example above) or our 2 night layover in Vegas this year. Don't forget to look at one way flights as well, we always seem to find good deals.

Round trips will be $600-$1000 depending where and when.

We've stayed at at least a dozen, probably more VRBOs...we have never had an issue. It all depends on your budget and desires. We're always in the $200-$300/ night range. We're a family of 4 though. But obviously you can spend more or less.

This is where we stayed on Curacao couple months ago.

https://www.vacationcottages.com/pro...QaAtsCEALw_wcB

Once there, we tend to explore and eat out most nights....budget will vary immensely.

These types of holidays aren't for everyone though.

I understand the appeal of all inclusive holidays. To me, they get a little boring and monotonous. One isn't really visiting Mexico, Jamaica, DR or Cuba. They just spend their time at the resort......which are all kinda the same regardless of which country you're in. The last few times we've been at an AI, we've spent significant time off the resort. ****, we rented a car and drove to Chichén Itzá instead of spending a day on a packed bus. It was awesome!!
Old 03-22-2024, 02:53 PM

Wife and I head for Cancun next Sunday for a week AI. Iberostar Quetzal. This will be trip number 9 to Mexico and the AI has its ups and downs but it is easy in a pinch. Not cheap at all! Most we ever spent but nice to be in the sun and beach for a week. Will miss my boys not there as one has finals at MRU and the new 18 year old opted to stay put.
Eventually, we will start to look of the resort so I can fish. Was in Cabo twice but boys were 6 and 8 and we stayed at the resort other than a walk into San Jose a few times .
I get bored by the pool after a few days and need to move some . It is a still a privilege to get to do this I remind myself. We will venture into Playa del Carmen for a few hours hoping no one offers me some BLOW like 5 years ago!!!
We never spend much money or time off the resort as we are already paying out the wazoo to be there, but it is nice to see some authentic Mexico as well.
Cervveza????? Why yes...................... leave the bucket right here!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2024, 08:04 PM

Back when WestJet was fun to fly with, we used WestJet Vacations a number of times for WestJet destinations that they flew to *direct* out of Calgary. Instead of buying standard 7 day or 14 day packages, you could pick any arrival or departure date you wished - we usually liked around 8 days.

After some terrible experiences in winter air travel, non-stop, direct flights became an absolute requirement for us.

We’ve stayed all over Mexico, (and elsewhere) in VRBOs, small, family run hotels, off-beach and on, but as we aged, we moved to all-inclusive resorts. A favourite of ours has been the Xcaret resort on the ‘Mayan Riviera’ near Cancun. If you inquire, you can buy a discounted, hotel guest pass for the adjacent Xcaret Park, and use the entire park for its excellent walking trails, beaches and shows for the duration of your stay. It’s a 3 minute walk (or boat ride on the canal) from the hotel to the park gate, so you can go back and forth all day for your resort drinks, buffets & private amenities.
Families are able to let their kids go ‘free-range’ with the Xcaret park almost like an extension of their resort. Senior friends were delighted with the accessibility of the park and its myriad of walking trails, things to see and do - without the worry of crime or being badgered.
We miss the cultural interactions that we used to enjoy - sitting around having dinner at someone’s kitchen table with the owners in little ‘hole-in-the-wall’ places, but even at the resorts, you can usually get a feel for the area if you can get over our usual Canadian reserve and make an effort to get to know a couple of the regular staff. Start by asking them about their families….