Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Default Ticket for burnt out headlight

My wife comes home last night rather choked that she got a ticket for a burnt out headlight. She had both in the morning, and sometime during the day one blew. She gets into Morinville and gets pulled over by the RC's for the light. She gets a $57.00 ticket without a warning.
I call the detachment and tell the Cpl the situation. And he tells me that no warning is needed and that they are just enforcing the highway safety act.
I ask if she should have pulled over and called a towtruck. He says she can take the time off work to fight it.
How many people would take time off work to fight something like this?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Thats a cheap one....cop must have been having a bad day, perhaps he reads the forums here! LOL
The big question is do you fight it at a 1/2 to full days loss of wages to save 57.00 and for the principal of it or eat it as "technically" the cop was right??????
Old 01-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
How many people would take time off work to fight something like this?
Depends entirely on how mad I was, and the likelihood I would prevail, cost and time be damned.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM

The cop could have given a warning, but at the end of the day the vehicle was illegal. I'd be a little choked but I wouldn't waste any effort fighting a legally sound ticket.

Be the bigger man and don't let it get to you. If you go to court over this you'll just look like a whiner.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM

The cop could have given a warning, but at the end of the day the vehicle was illegal.

Should she have parked on the highway and wait for a tow truck? What about getting a stone chip in the drivers line of vision. Do you park and wait for a tow?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:33 PM

I don't know how I would handle that. The only time I was pulled over for a light the cop had me meet him downtown within 24 hours to prove it fixed. That said, I showed him the working light and my receipt for the bulb and he let me off with a warning...

It seems ridiculous to have to wait for a tow/leave your car there while you buy a light. Though technically the car is illegal as long as the light is out. I see the point your getting at but having been to traffic court myself several times over the past 10 years or so I don't see anyone taking any pity on you.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

At least she didn't get kicked in the face.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
At least she didn't get kicked in the face.
X2. And then slandered for "Possible Domestic Violence." LOL!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Dont waste taxpayers money or your time to fight a ticket that was legally sound. Seems like a rather silly thing to get wound up over.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

This does bring up a valid point though. How long should you have to fix it? It sure doesn't seem reasonable that they can give you a ticket for something that could conceivably happened 2 minutes before. (especially if it's a Kia Sorrento). I've seen cop cars with burnt out headlights before...it happens...why add insult to injury?? Ya gotta plunk down 20 or 30 bucks for a bulb and 57 for a ticket...I'd be tempted to fight the ticket when you get a chance...just go to the traffic thing before the court date...(wear a full face helmet or something though)

The ticket may be legally sound...but it sure doesn't seem right.

I got a windshield ticket quite a few years ago by a friendly RCMP officer...He got me for speeding and told me he was tired of writing speeding tickets and he'd give me a windshield ticket instead if I wanted. Miss officers like that these days.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM

you guys ever pullover a bit on a secondary highway to see if you can pass and you see what looks like lights coming but a mile away, lots a time right, until you pull out and see its a car with one light about 400 yards away. Kinda puts a pucker in it doesnt it. I know its a crap ticket put every person who gets pulled over for it will always say it was okay an hour ago, thats how society is. Not sayin that this is the case, just pointing out some facts
Old 01-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Lots of good points in this thread.

I get just as mad over the idiots running around with aftermarket HID lights poorly aimed as the people with a burnt out headlight, who drive on bright all the time, because they can't see on low. (duh, light burnt out)

Crappy that she got the ticket while the bulb is still warm though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
This does bring up a valid point though. How long
should you have to fix it? It sure doesn't seem reasonable that they can give you a ticket for something that could conceivably happened 2 minutes before. (especially if it's a Kia Sorrento). I've seen cop cars with burnt out headlights before...it happens...why add insult to injury?? Ya gotta plunk down 20 or 30 bucks for a bulb and 57 for a ticket...I'd be tempted to fight the ticket when you get a chance...just go to the traffic thing before the court date...(wear a full face helmet or something though)

The ticket may be legally sound...but it sure doesn't seem right.

I got a windshield ticket quite a few years ago by a friendly RCMP officer...He got me for speeding and told me he was tired of writing speeding tickets and he'd give me a windshield ticket instead if I wanted. Miss officers like that these days.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 PM

The law is the law. Just pay it. Sure the cops heard "well it worked this morning" a hundred times before.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM

We will pay the ticket. It just sucks thats all. You guys have alot of good points about getting the ticket. I get choked about the amount of vehicles with burned out lights as well, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 PM

That sucks about the ticket and the fact the light bulb had just burned out, but at the end of the day the law is the law. Since it is only $57 it probably isn't worth taking a day off work to fight.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Well I for one feel much safer knowing that she got the ticket. At least I can sleep better tonight knowing our crimefighters are hard at work handing out headlight tickets.

As far as you people who think she was hard done by, I want to tell you this is probably the defining point for her in what could easily turn into a life of crime.

Who knows where this could have led, albeit slowly because of poor vision due to the missing light, but I digress. Oh yeah, who knows where this crime ...ripple could have gone had it not been nipped in the bud. Next she'll have a plate partially obscured by snow, then on to a license plate light burned out. OMG think of the children. If it saves one life...yaddy yaddy yaddy.

Yep she's a scofflaw, and yep it is an offense, and yep I've having trouble picturing the cop writing the ticket with his head stuck firmly up his ....wait a minute. He could have given her a warning and fostered good pr, fixed the problem and had a supporter. Naw, cops don't need no steenking supporters.
They have pr people.

and yes the law is the law, but the law is also a assss.

I'm sure he is now searching for the criminals who stole common sense.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Jebus Redfrog. Now that was funny. A shot like that towards the officer is worth the $57
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

If it was me I would mail the ticket in not guilty, they will then mail back a court date. There is a very small chance they could mail back that they thrown out the charge, happen to a family member once. Otherwise there will be a court date set. Then the day before the court date either pay the ticket or fight the ticket the next day. This wastes the courts time and the officers time preparing for Court the day before at no extra cost to you.
Personally I hope you do go fight it in Court and win so this officer stops handing out mickey mouse tickets.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
If it was me I would mail the ticket in not guilty, they will then mail back a court date. There is a very small chance they could mail back that they thrown out the charge, happen to a family member once. Otherwise there will be a court date set. Then the day before the court date either pay the ticket or fight the ticket the next day. This wastes the courts time and the officers time preparing for Court the day before at no extra cost to you.
Personally I hope you do go fight it in Court and win so this officer stops handing out mickey mouse tickets.
Then It's an extra cost for us all THANKS
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM

An easy thing Ive learned is to carry extra bulbs in the vehicle. I got pulled over for a burnt out signal light and had it replaced before the officer could finish the ticket. It was pretty funny to watch him crumple up the ticket then drive off.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
As far as you people who think she was hard done by, I want to tell you this is probably the defining point for her in what could easily turn into a life of crime.
And then comes the 'Smack down' ! lol
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Meh...real bad timing on that one. I've always replaced headlights as soon as I could, after I noticed -- and always got it done before I was stopped for it. Sometimes I guess that's just not possible. With that being said, the only person I ever heard of getting a ticket for it was a neighbour of mine, down in the US, who got a warning, and failed to replace the burnt-out bulb. Got nailed for it the following week. I would have thought that, even if only for PR purposes, a warning should always be issued for a bulb, unless one has already been given.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
How will she win??

Judge- Was your headlight burnt out?

Yes Sir

GUILTY lol

Just pay it and move on.Its not worth the stress or the hassle to fight it.Next time a cop lets you off the hook for speeding you can consider things even..

Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM

The RC likely WANTS you to take it to court. They get paid extra for court duty, win or lose.

A Sgt. buddy of mine bithches about fellow officers that write crappy tickets just to get court time and the extra pay. They can double their salary with these petty charges.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Hehe RCMP in small town BC where I lived nabbed me for speedin violations and seat belt violations many times. Used to say to me a day without a red truck is like a day without sunshine. Anyhow we became good friends and hunted together, never gave me no tickets after that hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

I think this guy is new to town, posted in around August. I not bashing him doing his job, but there are other ways of policing. Handing out tickets like that is not the best way.(to me anyway). But like I said, We will pay and chalk it up to lesson learned. And hope Officer Fife isn't on patrol next time a light blows
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Part of driving on public roads is to do what you can to maintain the vehicle and save your own as.s.

That means carrying all types of bulbs in the vehicle for immediate replacement if necessary, as well as walking around the vehicle and doing a check before driving every time. That even includes after just stopping at the post office to drop off a letter too.

Spare tire, jack(all), snow brush and frost scraper, jerry can for gas/diesel if you have a small tank, fuses, spare coolant (concentrate), windshield washer fluid, 2 liters of engine oil, one of tranny fluid, large flashlight or floodlight, jumper cables, common wrench sizes and screw drivers and nuts/bolts, fan belt or serpentine belt, wiper blade (singular), maps where you're going or GPS with spare batteries. Shovel and chains in winter. Tow strap, warning/reflecting triangles. Warm clothes and towel. Boots, gloves, matches, knife, sealed bottle of drinking water, 'first aid kit', roll of quarters for public phone, roll of paper towels. Even a chainsaw or axe & crosscut saw if you're back in the bush.

This is common stuff, won't break the bank, and is easily carried by any 4-wheel motor vehicle. Keep it in a box or storage container and hope you never have to use it. It's really, really cheap insurance for being able to take care of yourself and keep out of trouble.

Sorry, but the headlight bulb could have been taken care of. Obviously it could not have been missed by the driver at night - even though not legally necessary during the day. Even lots of vehicles will 'fast-click' if a signal bulb is burnt out. 57 bucks is a cheap reminder to tighten up ship a little.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
An easy thing Ive learned is to carry extra bulbs in the vehicle. I got pulled over for a burnt out signal light and had it replaced before the officer could finish the ticket. It was pretty funny to watch him crumple up the ticket then drive off.
I carry extra headlights in my truck as well. As one poster mentioned, driving with one light is extremely dangerous on undivided highways. It's not so much the ticket but the hazard I cause to myself and other drivers.

I once got a warning at Tim Hortons (right in the drive thru!!) for a signal light though... not nearly as big a deal, just a warning, nothing formal.

I'd say the cop was probably having a bad day or needed a little extra court time money... but it really is dangerous to drive with one light on secondaries.

I wouldn't fight it, clearly guilty as charged. Sucks, bad luck, yup.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM

What is the point you think you could prove?

The light was burnt out and as another said the cop has heard that line hundreds of time. Even if you won in court, and I doubt you will, the cop will still believe the light had been out more than a few minutes.

I have never had that bad of luck. I feel for you guys but I dont see any point in going to court.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:40 PM

had a city cop tell me if went tois district station with my brake light fixed in 24 hours they would toss the ticket. fixed the light talked to the desk sergeant he came made sure it was fixed and they tossed the ticket