Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM

my dog tramp thinks he's a walmart greeter and loves to run with other dogs.

he's big but doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

he can handle any dog that pushes him into a corner, but when i walked him in the off leash areas in calgary i always had a good stout cane... i'm an old guy so i looked quite dapper really.
but i had the cane for a reason. not a whimpy aluminum cane but a good thick wood walking stick. i had to use it a few times, but most dogs aren't a problem.

one owner took exception to the thought provoking "tap" on the head i gave his dog. i told him to keep his dog under control or go home. all the other owners sort of agreed. never saw that dog at southland off leash again.

i have since retired to manitoba and there is lots of coyotes around here so i usually have a "noise maker" with me now, but i have noticed coyotes run like hell if you have "anything" in your hand.

trouble with bear spray is the wind ... it could get you and / or your dog.

knives are good to mutter about, but if you are close enough to use it you're too close to the dog and they are a lot faster than most people.

canes are cool!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A big can of bear spray.Stick around until they start to recover,then give them some more.Repeat until the can is empty,and they likely won't come near you again.
I agree

Elk....If you caught one of the dogs and the other one took off, would you be ok with threatening to taze the dog in the junk to try to find out where his buddy lived?

tm
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM

Default This must be in the city?

I have a farmer neighbour who told me the first time he meets his new neighbours is when he shoots their dog for chasing his cows.

I guess that is not an option where you are. Dog trainers I know use a slingshot with a marble, on the ribs. For vicious the best solution I ever saw was a short piece of hockey stick. The man held the stick crosswise so the dog could bit it.

At that moment the dog was lifted nearly off the ground by lifting the stick with both hands and a kick was administered between the dogs back legs with all the force the an could muster.

You'd be amazed at how well this works. If you could do it to the dopey owners of the dogs this wouldn't be necessary.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I have a farmer neighbour who told me the first time he meets his new neighbours is when he shoots their dog for chasing his cows..
I used to take my Border Collie over to the new 'Cityiots" that move out to the country and think their dogs can run wild.
I'd tell them that my dogs name is Jessy and if you see her running around your property please shoot her...and I'll do the same for you.

Most didn't get the hint..Too bad for the dogs.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:30 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
I used to take my Border Collie over to the new 'Cityiots" that move out to the country and think their dogs can run wild.
I'd tell them that my dogs name is Jessy and if you see her running around your property please shoot her...and I'll do the same for you.

Most didn't get the hint..Too bad for the dogs.
... What planet are you from?!
When you consider that it's mostly the owner's fault, that ^ approach just don't fly

TF

Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

When you consider that it's mostly the owner's fault, that ^ approach just don't fly

TF

It was the same back home where I was raised on a farm, if theres a dog in the chickens, chasing cattle, horses etc it gets shot on the spot and most of the time the neighbor would understand to.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Kill them with your bare hands.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Gone Hunting

I'm not sure why you took your dog when you went back out.

I think you would be able to focus on the other dogs without worrying about yours.

I've dealt with lots of 'vicious' dogs. A dog will lay claim to his territory. Whether it is his crate, yard or in this case the neighborhood. For a dog to do that it means he is "at large' patrolling probably as much as he is home.

I would have gone back out with some treats and a tennis ball, Along with a rope with a slip in the end. It may take some time but in this case I don't think so. Dogs have tags on so they likely have had at least some obedience training and will respond to "good Dog". Toss the ball and coax them to you a treat and drop the noose. Lead him off on a 'Walk'. He will likely just walk along. If not you can jerk him off his feet.

Regardless of how badass the dog is. he will be your pal after a minute or two with his hind feet off the ground and his brain redirected to surviving instead of biting.

I'll bet when he finishes defecated he will walk quite well on the leash and his buddy will follow. It has never failed me yet and I've used it lots.

Take them home lock them up and call the authorities. You will then be dealing with the real problem...the owners.

I've dealt with feral dogs and that is a whole other deal. 30 round mag comes to mind, but most dogs in your situation are pets defending their territory.

I like to see tags on dogs , because as I said they usually have been taught a few things. The first thing they likely learned was "Sit" If you can convince then that you are the alpha dog a firm "sit" works a lot of the time. Slip the rope on him and start walking.

Carrying weapons and injuring one of the dogs may be legal, but it will likely open a huge can of worms for you when you try to defend your actions. I'm not saying you won't be justified or legal, just that it could be a pita with the authorities/ neighbors etc.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Suspended User

Default Walking sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
Me and my dog went for our nightly walk tonight as usual. Took the same path as usual through some open bush. On the way back we were being followed by 2 dogs, smaller then mine, nothing I couldn't fight off if I had to. They were getting closer, circling us. I looked for owners but couldn't see any then I realized these are the dogs I always see running loose in our area. once they started getting to close for comfort I stopped and the circled us, one got close to my pup and my dog can definitley hold her her own but I tried to shoo the dog away, it then attacked my dog biting her and latched on, my dog snapped and started to fight back, then the other mutt circled me and came from behind. I kicked it as hard as I could then grabbed a stick from the ground and just started beating both of the mutts like crazy. They let go of my pup but then my dog was in defense mode and we tried leaving and they kept following. I had enough, found a good thick branch and chased the 2 dogs and started throwing rocks, sticks anything I could as they just wouldn't leave us alone. I got home told the wife what happened. Called the authority's and me and my pup went back out looking for them becasue we have kids, neighbors have alot of kids and they don't need to be attacked while playing outside. I couldn't find them and I hope they get caught but they tent to take off into the thick bush. They have owners as they have tags.

Now tonight was the only night I did not carry a knife with me for our walk and I would not think twice of putting any animal down if it attacked. Just PO'd that there are owners that let there dogs loose like this. My wife took a picture not long ago of them trying to get in our yard and growling at our dog and the neighbors dog. totally irresponsible and I wont feel bad for what I do if we run into them again.

rant over.
Ran into this several times along the Red Deer river. I too, use a walking aid in rough country. The best one I had that worked real good on dogs had a steel wire wrapped around it holding a spike on it. Worked for picking garbage and stopping dogs. If a whack didnt stop them, a real hard jab did the trick. Owners dont like it, too bad. If they get angry, ask them if they would rather the dog be dead.
Bad owners are a common problem in the outdoors. Had an idiot let his dogs loose one time in the area I was hunting. My father told him it was illegal, but he told Dad to"f off and mind his own business." Dog ran out in front of me on the trail on a whitetail, he stopped for a second when I whistled. To bad for the dog, but cant shoot the bad owner. I think he may have learned his lesson.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post

TF

I think you missed my point. I took my dog over and introduced myself and my dog. In asking him to shoot my dog if it's running around his property or livestock 'hopefully" he would understand that that behaviour isn't tolerated in the country. My dogs NEVER left the yard unless they were on a rope. Offering to shoot his for him was a warning, in a slightly nicer way.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

the last time a dog attacked my dog i had to fire up the tractor..

i still haven't heard where that dog came from but i sure know where it went.

there are two kinds of dogs that aren't worth keeping imo:
1. wanderers a dog that doesn't stay home isn't good for anything.

2. extremely aggressive dogs
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm not sure why you took your dog when you went back out.

I think you would be able to focus on the other dogs without worrying about yours.

I've dealt with lots of 'vicious' dogs. A dog will lay claim to his territory. Whether it is his crate, yard or in this case the neighborhood. For a dog to do that it means he is "at large' patrolling probably as much as he is home.

I would have gone back out with some treats and a tennis ball, Along with a rope with a slip in the end. It may take some time but in this case I don't think so. Dogs have tags on so they likely have had at least some obedience training and will respond to "good Dog". Toss the ball and coax them to you a treat and drop the noose. Lead him off on a 'Walk'. He will likely just walk along. If not you can jerk him off his feet.

Regardless of how badass the dog is. he will be your pal after a minute or two with his hind feet off the ground and his brain redirected to surviving instead of biting.

I'll bet when he finishes defecated he will walk quite well on the leash and his buddy will follow. It has never failed me yet and I've used it lots.

Take them home lock them up and call the authorities. You will then be dealing with the real problem...the owners.

I've dealt with feral dogs and that is a whole other deal. 30 round mag comes to mind, but most dogs in your situation are pets defending their territory.

I like to see tags on dogs , because as I said they usually have been taught a few things. The first thing they likely learned was "Sit" If you can convince then that you are the alpha dog a firm "sit" works a lot of the time. Slip the rope on him and start walking.

Carrying weapons and injuring one of the dogs may be legal, but it will likely open a huge can of worms for you when you try to defend your actions. I'm not saying you won't be justified or legal, just that it could be a pita with the authorities/ neighbors etc.
I took my dog back out with me because she can handle herself well. These dogs are always loose but this is the first time iv had a close encounter with them. Authoritys were notified and they said I did the right thing and to watch for the animals. The owners don't deserve those dogs and what if they attack one of the many kids in our area? If I run into them again it will be a
Done deal.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-14-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Lol that made my day Ken lol
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Default dogs

In the words of Ralph Klein, shoot, shovel and shut up.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I guess I just understand why you would rant about these dogs attacking your dog and then take your dog out looking for the bad guys. Sounds like you were expecting your dog to be attacked again. Regardless if she can handle herself or not, why risk an injury and divert your attention from actually securing the bad boys.

I'm confused. I would not put my dog in harm's way till I had neutralized the threat. I could only do that by focusing on the threat and not on my dog's welfare.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I guess I just understand why you would rant about these dogs attacking your dog and then take your dog out looking for the bad guys. Sounds like you were expecting your dog to be attacked again. Regardless if she can handle herself or not, why risk an injury and divert your attention from actually securing the bad boys.

I'm confused. I would not put my dog in harm's way till I had neutralized the threat. I could only do that by focusing on the threat and not on my dog's welfare.
My dog was attacked, but in the end she owned the other dog with no problem at all, We were out last night, saw the dogs again but this time they would not come near us BUT ran at the young neighbor girl the same night. Im actually helping bylaw try and capture these dogs.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM

A small fire extinguisher, shot into their snouts is far better than pepper spray. It seems to deprive them of their breath, and once they recover, they will never come near you!!! I guess that your scent provides them with the incentive to stay away. Worked for me. My Chessie could have whipped up the yappy little b@$tard in short order, but giving him the extinguisher had the sob dog stay a long way from us.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
My dog was attacked, but in the end she owned the other dog with no problem at all, We were out last night, saw the dogs again but this time they would not come near us BUT ran at the young neighbor girl the same night. Im actually helping bylaw try and capture these dogs.
That sounds like a very good end to this conflict, when caught the dog tags will lead by-law to the owners who can now try to justify they're poor ownership qualities and pay a fine. Either way, it's well documented this way and if something should happen in the future...alot less hassel for you ! Too bad it had to come to this.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

I spoke to bylaw again today, He found out who the owners are. They live just down from us (bylaw lives 2 houses down from me) I guess the owners to lazy to fix the knob on the gate so he lets them run free and I had all the other people who have been attacked or chased to call him and let him know. He is going to deal with them. The bylaw officer here is a great guy and totally understood everything even when I told him if those dogs attack again ill end there lives on the spot and he agreed.