Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Residential Painters

Are there any residential painters on the forum. I need to know a ballpark price range to prime and apply two coats in a 1400sq ft house. We had one quote and ended up doing all the painting ourselves. The problem we are having is our contractor quoted the painting in the price of our home but in our final price never deducted anything for the sweat equity of doing all the painting ourselves. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Default painting

hey dude,im a pro.painter in Calgary, Inovative Painting Solutions ltd. the going rate for a production builder is very low on our part. $ 2.25 - $2.35 per sq ft. plus extras: railing,ext,capping,colors. etc Not knowing the variables i would quess that your quote would have been about $ 4800 ? very few builders will give sweet equity any more because it is money out of there pocket.If you need any more info please pm,ive spent 15 years working with production builders.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM

I am a framer and when we were shopping for a builder many would not give a penny back for me to frame the house. Some would give the framers cost but not their mark up. Not sure you will get anywhere, plus if I framed it, because I was not their regular guy they were going to void the new home warranty. The framer they used started as a green guy working with me 10 years ago, I have been framing for 20, obviously he must be more qualified????
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks guys, he has taken some stuff off for sweat equity already but he seems to hide as much as he can and hope we will forget about it. I seen his breakdown on costs and he allowed $9000 for painting, I don't expect to get it all back but I will be expecting some as it was built in to the cost of the home. I never spent a week painting for nothing that's for sure. I noticed the stuff he has paid us back for doesn't even equal out to $15/hour, but the add-ons that he has charged for is at like $40/hour. That means he is still making $25/hour for all the work I have done, I know its how they do things but it does seem a little ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 AM

Before I chose a builder i made sure to get any and all credits and values in writting. It is very hard afterwards to get anything back. Funny thing too- I did the framing and the basement started to leak after we developed it- builder said no warranty as he did not do the work in the basement???? HUH WHAT?? the basement is not leaking beacuse it is developed, it is leaking through the foundation. They have now "fixed" the foundation 3 times for water seeping. I use "fixed" very loosely!! I finally paid Abrent to come and repair it right. I sent the builder the bill, to my surprise-they paid it.