Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 10:39 PM

Default 300 weatherby mag jamming

Was shooting tonight. No issues shooting weatherby loaded ballistic tips 180gr. No problem shooting hornady loaded eldx 200gr.. but nosler loaded 180 nosler accubonds.....they........ Shot the lights out, but jammed after every shot. I could stagger nosler for hornady for weatheby brass loads.. and the nosler brass jammed each time.

The bottom of the case was shaved slighty and almost scrape marks a the top of the empty , bolt handle was very hard to lift and had to give a bit of gas to pull it back.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-29-2024, 05:41 AM

Sounds like too much pressure for the Accubonds , maybe because the Accubond has a different profile , try backing off the powder charge a bit for them,or maybe a different seating depth.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-29-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:57 AM

Come on Alberta Bigbore ! You know the answer to that question.
You seen the flatten primer ! Every different shell brand or powder or amount or bullet brand or style or even primer can change the pressure ,even how deep you seat the bullet makes a difference .

I think you posted this because you just did not have 4 test loads you were testing , but maybe you loaded 100 rounds and then you said f.u. c. k. what did I do !

Last edited by -JR-; 04-29-2024 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:44 AM

Too much pressure, I have seen it before with 300 Weatherby brand factory loads. And the brass will likely be scrap because of loose primer pockets. If you have one round that does this be careful, two rounds, stop shooting them.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-29-2024 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:56 AM

Difference in brass volume and or softness and possible bullet profile and or hardness = pressure changes .

As they say “ keep brass separated “.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:07 AM

Are these factory loads or handloaded?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Are these factory loads or handloaded?
Factories
Old 04-29-2024, 07:50 AM

In my own firsthand experience, Nosler factory ammo has been on the hotter end in the spectrum. I’ve shot all three brands mentioned at one point or another. I’ve never encountered anything resembling over pressure with Hornady or Weatherby. Nosler - 3 of 4 rifles exhibited stiff bolt lift and flat primers. 300 and 257 Bee, 35 Whelen and 28 Nosler. The Whelen was the only Nosler ammo that I didn’t find to be overly spicy. Four different rifles from three manufacturers. I shoot very little factory ammunition anymore but, for the price of brass these days, if I were to buy any factory ammo, I’d be wanting to retain good usable brass after one firing.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Factories
You will just have to quit using it.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-29-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Factories
I didn't realize it was factory ammo- in that case, I concour with Pathfinder- don't use it!
Cat
Old 04-29-2024, 09:53 AM

I had gotten a few rounds fromma forum member and he said the chronograph out of his weatherbys with the Nosler factory loaded accubonds were running hot. Sucks though. As was they were shooting well under sub moa. 😪😭
Old 04-29-2024, 10:52 AM

You can try scrubbing the bore extremely well and trying them again . It’s possible a clean bore may make enough of a difference .
Old 04-29-2024, 10:59 AM

Cool

What was the temperature when you fired them? Odds are the situation will worsen if you fire them on a warmer day.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What was the temperature when you fired them? Odds are the situation will worsen if you fire them on a warmer day.
Think i was 15 degrees outside yesterday. The hornady and weatherby brand had zero issue ejecting
Old 04-29-2024, 09:41 PM

Default curious

we had the same issue during load development in a 338 Rum,never had issues with any mark V, is there a diff in OAL between the brands,Ive heard of primers popping out before ever having a stuck or stiff bolt in weatherbys.The prob in the rum dev was OAL,maybe pull a bullet and weigh the powder and compare it to what the load manual says

Last edited by birdseye; 04-29-2024 at 09:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2024, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
we had the same issue during load development in a 338 Rum,never had issues with any mark V, is there a diff in OAL between the brands,Ive heard of primers popping out before ever having a stuck or stiff bolt in weatherbys.The prob in the rum dev was OAL,maybe pull a bullet and weigh the powder and compare it to what the load manual says
The OP was using factory ammo not hand loads, pulling a bullet and weighing the factory charge won't tell him anything .
Cat
Old 04-30-2024, 01:46 AM

I’m not trying to be rude or flippant at all. But this is pretty run of the mill stuff. Move on to another option. This isn’t weird or uncommon. It’s pretty rudimentary. A nothing burger as they say.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-30-2024, 09:57 PM

Default unsure

#16 Report Post

The OP was using factory ammo not hand loads, pulling a bullet and weighing the factory charge won't tell him anything .
Cat

I disagree on not telling him anything Cat,even factory loads can be loaded hot to very hot,Id pull one just to be on the sfse side.My friend had some factory Hornady superformance SST loads in 270 cal way above manual specs.Had issues ejecting in his semi auto 🤷*♂️

Last edited by birdseye; 04-30-2024 at 10:02 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 04-30-2024, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
#16 Report Post

Cat

I disagree on not telling him anything Cat,even factory loads can be loaded hot to very hot,Id pull one just to be on the sfse side.My friend had some factory Hornady superformance SST loads in 270 cal way above manual specs.Had issues ejecting in his semi auto 🤷*♂️
Cat is 100% correct, pulling a bullet, and weighing the powder charge is meaningless unless you know exactly what powder is being used. And their is no way to determine exactly what powder is used, because the manufacturers won't tell you and many of the powders that they use are blends that we won't find data for.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:53 PM

Bought some 7mm-08 fusion factory rounds WAY over powered also have a .22 Hornet (Walter) that will shoot PPU factory rounds all day long, zero issues, load up Hornady and the smoke will rise, so it can happen. Also silver brass vs brass brass can also cause issues, harder brass, softer brass etc. Some companies like Nosler, Rem, Winchester and a few others in the reloading world are known for having softer brass. Just sell or trade the ammo, it is not worth the risk to you or your rifle.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.