Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Curious as to what y'all think...

Not an Ellen fan.
Not against eating what one hunts.
Not against wearing what one hunts.
...however, given the fact (and only given the fact), that everyone knows that the world is watching and video-taping the seal hunt every time it happens, what would be so wrong with devising some sort of tool (a hand-gun type implement that shoots a retractable pin - similar to a nail gun) to harvest the seals?
Don't get me wrong, I personally don't have an issue with seeing blood, and with harvesting an animal with an arrow, (which can, in some cases, result in quite a bloody scene - especially in the snow), but, as a hunter, I take measures (as much as possibl
e) to ensure that that scene does not play itself out in the open public eye.
When I watch the seal hunt, I have to admit, that for any non-hunter-type person watching that, it does look pretty brutal the way they pickaxe those seals - it can look somewhat barbaric. (Can you imagine killing a deer like that and posting it to you-tube?)
This brings me back to the question; given the fact that they basically walk up to the seals to harvest them, why not look at using a different "tool of harvesting" and take some of the steam out of the "anti-sealers" momentum?
Admittedly, I don't have all the facts on seal hunting methods - maybe there IS only one way to harvest them?
pick ax breaks, you still have a club. pin gun breaks you have small moving parts to repair in the arctic cold. plus think of the cost.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-28-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
Curious as to what y'all think...

Not an Ellen fan.
Not against eating what one hunts.
Not against wearing what one hunts.
...however, given the fact (and only given the fact), that everyone knows that the world is watching and video-taping the seal hunt every time it happens, what would be so wrong with devising some sort of tool (a hand-gun type implement that shoots a retractable pin - similar to a nail gun) to harvest the seals?
Don't get me wrong, I personally don't have an issue with seeing blood, and with harvesting an animal with an arrow, (which can, in some cases, result in quite a bloody scene - especially in the snow), but, as a hunter, I take measures (as much as possible) to ensure that that scene does not play itself out in the open public eye.
When I watch the seal hunt, I have to admit, that for any non-hunter-type person watching that, it does look pretty brutal the way they pickaxe those seals - it can look somewhat barbaric. (Can you imagine killing a deer like that and posting it to you-tube?)
This brings me back to the question; given the fact that they basically walk up to the seals to harvest them, why not look at using a different "tool of harvesting" and take some of the steam out of the "anti-sealers" momentum?
Admittedly, I don't have all the facts on seal hunting methods - maybe there IS only one way to harvest them?
A lifetime ABA member? We as hunters need to stop the YouTube crap, it hasn't served us well at all!! We also need to not throw each other under the bus

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
A lifetime ABA member? We as hunters need to stop the YouTube crap, it hasn't served us well at all!! We also need to not throw each other under the bus
Besides, it doesn't make a tinker's damn what tool is used, it's the act itself that they cannot understand and hate.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Besides, it doesn't make a tinker's damn what tool is used, it's the act itself that they cannot understand and hate.
Yup, bingo, hit it right on the head!
Cat
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
...wasn't even aware of something called the "ABA". Wasn't promoting posting hunts on YouTube either - just making a comparison (probably didn't word it quite properly). Also, I don't think hunters critiquing the ethicality of each others' hunting practices is anything new, (it happens all the time on this forum), nor does it constitute throwing each other under any bus.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Sealskin

Sadly I'm down to my last pair of sealskin mittens. I wear them over a light pair of gloves for winter snow plowing on the quad or my "cabless" jd tractor. They are by far the warmest / water repelent cold weather hand gear I have found.
I will be contacting some friends in the eastern Arctic when I need more.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Ellen's favourite charity...Humane Society of United States...http://www.treehugger.com/culture/hu...-de-rossi.html funnelling millions of donations to Cayman bank accounts. Just in case anyone wants to know where their save the seals money is going.

http://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-has-...the-caribbean/
Old 03-29-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Ellen's favourite charity...Humane Society of United States...http://www.treehugger.com/culture/hu...-de-rossi.html funnelling millions of donations to Cayman bank accounts. Just in case anyone wants to know where their save the seals money is going.

http://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-has-...the-caribbean/
I think I'm gonna tweet that link to Ellen if you don't mind rug
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
You should also write the executive producer of the Ellen Show @ ed.glavin@ellentv.com
Old 03-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
By all means. I don't tweet.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:56 PM

oops.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
You should also write the executive producer of the Ellen Show @ ed.glavin@ellentv.com
I'm more of a public display of revulsion type. A email changes nobody's mind. The producer only cares about $$$
Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm more of a public display of revulsion type. A email changes nobody's mind. The producer only cares about $$$
Unless he gets bombarded,, twitter is ignorable and Twitterites (those who command a following of a million followers or more) have had other twitter accts removed just-like-that,, neat eh?

Watch Ellen, take note of the commercials, then write to those companies of your/our campaign of outing hypocrites by act of product boycott.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Unless he gets bombarded,, twitter is ignorable and Twitterites (those who command a following of a million followers or more) have had other twitter accts removed just-like-that,, neat eh?

Watch Ellen, take note of the commercials, then write to those companies of your/our campaign of outing hypocrites by act of product boycott.
Good ideas gust
Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM

I'd wear a sealskin parka if I could afford one! Considering they sell for $3000+, you'd swear the seal industry is thriving and not struggling like they claim
Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
I'd wear a sealskin parka if I could afford one! Considering they sell for $3000+, you'd swear the seal industry is thriving and not struggling like they claim
Yea wish I could afford one also, I had sealskin boots the I wore our, very warm. Would love a nice vest for those cold days.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
...you'd swear the seal industry is thriving and not struggling like they claim
With little market for their skins because of the EU ban on their products, the Inuit are struggling indeed.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
What we can do is bombard this guys email with Cabers post, so that she address it on her TV show where the crowd sqeeeeeals and screams at every burp and huff she makes.

He is the executive producer of the show.
ed.glavin@ellentv.com
Done and done.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Support our fellow Canadians.

http://www.rannva.com/
Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Support our fellow Canadians.

http://www.rannva.com/
Gosh I would love to, but I think the only thing I can afford on there is the bow tie or key chain. thousands for a coat isn't in my budget. But ill hae ot investigate other seal sources.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations