Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Frozen Feet

Hailing from the mother land (England ) I never ice fished until I arrived in Alberta a few years ago. Since then I have tried it a couple of times, but plan to get out a lot more this season.

The few times I have been out my feet were bloody frozen solid. Admittedly the footwear choices were a bit stupid (steel toecap boots) which made the whole experience painful and not much fun (did snag a bunch of brookies though, which were delicious!).

So this year I'm going to invest in a decent pair of boots. The ones I'm eyeing up are these suckers for sale at $99

Sorel® Bear -60 C Felt Pacs

Thoughts? They're rated to -60c. Overkill?!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 PM

Nope,not overkill. I have never heard anyone complain of hot feet out ice fishing.

When shopping,be sure to try the boots on with thick socks similar to what you will be wearing in the boots.Make sure you wear some good quality socks on your feet as well out ice fishing.(That means no white cotton tube socks! LOL!)

Last edited by New Hunter Okotoks; 12-03-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 PM

The cold rating is when you are moving, when you are sitting on the ice they will still get cold. I bought Frobisher socks at Marks a couple weeks ago, wear them in an unheated building thats usually colder than outdoors, and wear them icefishing all the time they keep your feet warm even when they are wet.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Haha - no white sport socks - CHECK!

I snowboard a lot so I wear my really warm snowboard socks but they have odd reinforced/padded panels in them which gets kind of annoying at times.

Think I'll check out those Frobisher ones at Marks.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Hey, a tip for ice fishing....you know those foam pads for kids? they are interlocking, you can get a bundle of 4 at most hardware stores...they work great for ice fishing! I put a few around the hole, put my chair on and your feet stay way warmer! I had frostbite last year, so trust me they work.

I have a tent, use them on the bottom, or even without the tent they really make a difference.

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~mats-set-4-...!foam-mat_shop

keep warm out there
Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM

Default electric socks

electric socks work ....used them in Manitobagoditscoldoutherebrrrr.

They work , have to be carefull about sweating but you can turn them off and on. I laughed .... till one weekend at LOW -42 F. no wind ..

I borrowed a pair for weekend .... excellent, bought a pair monday morning .

Here in alberta us immigrants wear sandals for ice fishing , with socks of course. Just because its awful when you get that pike slime tween the
tootsies... What passes for winter here is a bad may long weekend in the whiteshell.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Layers baby layers.

2 pairs of socks, and plastic bags.

Put on one pair of socks, then slip your sock covered feet into the plastic bags and then add the last pair of socks over top.
Never failed, plus your feet don't get wet.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
So this year I'm going to invest in a decent pair of boots. The ones I'm eyeing up are these suckers for sale at $99

Sorel® Bear -60 C Felt Pacs

Thoughts? They're rated to -60c. Overkill?!
I have the Sorel Glacier boots. They have an active rating of -80. The only complaint I have about my boots is that they are so huge. They can be a little cumbersome to walk in. Perhaps these ones will be a little less cumbersome with the lower active rating. These ones certainly aren't overkill.

My feet stay comfortable in my boots, and as I've gone hypo twice (both times it started with my feet) I'm very concerned about keeping my feet comfy.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Marks Work Warehouse has -100 Windriver boots on sale for $109. With their $10 off coupon in this weeks flyer...$100 bucks is worth it.

The draw back to these warmer boots is that they are a bit heavier and bulkier. Still...with the new technology they are about as bulky as the -30 boots were 10-15 years ago.

The con is that ice fish generally involves just standing and/or sitting with your feet on the ice for a long, long time. For that reason...your feet stay way warmer if you up grade.

Just make sure any boot you buy has rubber foot to keep ice, water and slush from getting your feet wet. Also be very careful with augers. I have ruined one nice pair of boots by accidentally brushing the top of my boot with the auger blades. Darnit!

IMHO

Sun
Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

For poops and giggles: my Sorel boots vs. my Docs.

The Sorels look like they could have been used on a lunar landing.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
The only complaint I have about my boots is that they are so huge. They can be a little cumbersome to walk in. Perhaps these ones will be a little less cumbersome with the lower active rating. These ones certainly aren't overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
The draw back to these warmer boots is that they are a bit heavier and bulkier. Still...with the new technology they are about as bulky as the -30 boots were 10-15 years ago.
The Sorel website has this to say about the Bears:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel Website
Moving fast through extreme environments calls for footwear that won’t weigh you down: after all, performing your best in arctic weather is hard enough without bulky boots.

So this season, Sorel introduces the Alpha Pac, a -60° below zero rated boot with a slimmer, performance fit and a lightweight EVA midsole that maximizes insulation while lightening your load. Whether it’s a dedication to work or play that brings you outdoors, the close-to-foot design offers welcome dexterity, while the high built-in gator and insulating Polar Lite™ lining turn up the heat.
Looks like they worked these ones to be less bulky/cumbersome. Either way, I'll go check them out (and the Windriver)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM

Worth noting as well, that keeping your body core warm, will help in keeping your feet warm. I wear -60 rated boots, with merino wool socks; but I also wear Stanfield's thermal combos; and several layers on my torso, especially on the cold days -- often including a heavy fleece or flannel shirt...minimizing heat loss through the head is also essential.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Now that we know how to keep our feet warm ,what about our hands.
Anyone find a good pair of Mits/gloves out there for sale raited to -80
Have frozzen my hands to many times .
Been using those hand warmers that you shake ,they work good for 8 hrs.
But would like some mits/ gloves for short term use.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Default Boots

If I can make a suggestion. Dunlop and Ranpro brands have a product you will see at Marks ect. A green and or orange rubber boot that are the warmest best ice fishing boot you could have. I work in the oilpatch and everyone learns to buy a pair. Purchase them big enough to wear a BAMA sock inside. The Bama sock wicks away sweat and your foot will remain dry and warm for the whole day.
Best part is they are lighter than most boots so you are more mobile than when you have 10lb weights on your feet like you other boots that have been posted. A little more money but I have had my set for 10+ yrs of rigging and they are still in great shape.

Good luck and stay warm.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Default JR's Mitt hijack

I have a previous/similar version of these http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_alti_mitts.html, with 2 sets of liners (a thicker one and a thinner one)... Not sure who would want to spend $225 on mitts (I know the ones I have weren't that expensive) but they are SUPER warm!!

P
Old 12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Banned

I remember when you could find those charcoal burners that you could keep inside your glove,,, but though this sounds silly it works wonders; when you get to where you're fishing, bring a small kerosene burner or hibatchi and bake some big potatoes, when done, wrap them in even more tin foil and put in your pockets,,, great for when the bite is on and your fingers are getting cold from the wet.

An old guy the other day while fishin had two plastic clothespegs on his line while jigging, which breaks the thin layer of ice on the hole from freezing. Gonna try now.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I remember when you could find those charcoal burners that you could keep inside your glove
I used to have one of those! Closest thing I can find to it these days are these Zippo hand warmers
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
The Sorel website has this to say about the Bears:

Looks like they worked these ones to be less bulky/cumbersome. Either way, I'll go check them out (and the Windriver)
I bought the -100 windrivers...wore them to work a bunch of times on the train with a fair bit of walking. I found them tolerable for that...and more than warm for ice fishing.

Good luck and I am sure you will find something you like. Even -60 is better than the old -20 sorels I got 20+ years ago.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhunter View Post
Hey, a tip for ice fishing....you know those foam pads for kids? they are interlocking, you can get a bundle of 4 at most hardware stores...they work great for ice fishing! I put a few around the hole, put my chair on and your feet stay way warmer! I had frostbite last year, so trust me they work.

I have a tent, use them on the bottom, or even without the tent they really make a difference.

http://www.rona.ca/shop/~mats-set-4-...!foam-mat_shop

keep warm out there
i hear you on that all i wear is my thinsulate hunting boots and a pair of cotton with wool over top and as long as im movin im ok and when i sit i use my foam pad. and its good cause when you bring you unprepared friends they can still stand a chance.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 PM

http://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/products.aspx
with these you can wear any boots and your feet will stay warm
buy them @ Costco by the case
warm feet everytime you go out
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

http://www.bunnyboots.com/
Surprised nobody has mentioned these yet, although I suppose most have never seen or even heard of them before. They are amazing boots.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM

BAMA socks!!! The best investment ever for icefishing!!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerrigger View Post
If I can make a suggestion. Dunlop and Ranpro brands have a product you will see at Marks ect. A green and or orange rubber boot that are the warmest best ice fishing boot you could have. I work in the oilpatch and everyone learns to buy a pair. Purchase them big enough to wear a BAMA sock inside. The Bama sock wicks away sweat and your foot will remain dry and warm for the whole day.
Best part is they are lighter than most boots so you are more mobile than when you have 10lb weights on your feet like you other boots that have been posted. A little more money but I have had my set for 10+ yrs of rigging and they are still in great shape.

Good luck and stay warm.
Best advice! I have a pair and love them. Either two pairs of wool socks for semi cold days or a pair of wool socks and bama socks for the really cold days. 100% waterproof, fast drying of any sweat moisture inside, superlight, and an inch and a half of sole between you and the ice. A bit of advice if you buy these, throw out the insole that comes with them, it does nothing but hold moisture.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Are you aware that the felt linners have to be removed and dried for maximum protection. The moisture collected in the felt liners must be removed. Most people place the felt linners on a heat registered over night at least. I sometimes place them in the clothes drier if I need them dried in a hurry. Try to remove collected mositure in the boots by heating the boots over the heat register and by doing so allow the moisture to evaporate away. Both boots and liners must be perfectly dry at all times for best protection from the cold.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Insulated boot covers

Since I don't stand on the ice (use a wheelchair) I wear these insulated overboots over wool socks and wool slippers. They zip open at the back and foot slides right it. Has been good before but I might throw in a hand warmer on top of each slipper this year if it's very cold (getting old and wimpy). Should be toasty.

The boot covers are made for hunters sitting in tree stands:
http://tinyurl.com/22sx5th
(link to Cabela's)