Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Default Tanaka TIA 305 Auger INFO

I just bought a used Tanaka Auger. Does anyone know where you can get new blade for the Nilsmaster auger.

I can't believe how much power the little thing has. I cut one hole with the Tanaka bit and when I hit the bottom of the ice it dam near spun me around but I knock the fuel line off in the proccess. Now it will runn but boggs when I try to cut a hole. the fuel line is old and hard and the fuel smells stale. I hope that is the problem?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 PM

You left stale gas in the auger and ran it on that? Not a good idea, but it might still be all right. You might have sucked a little water into the carb when the fuel line came off. At any rate, First: DUMP THE OLD GAS OUT! Next get a can of "Seafoam" (Nappa sells it) and add it double the recommended strength to fresh non-ethanol gas (Shell or Esso). Mix gas plus Seafoam with Amsoil Sabre 100:1 or Opti-2 synthetic oil and run that through it. Let it sit in the carb for a while and try running it again. If that does not work, you probably need to have the carb torn down and rebuilt. You might also want to change that old fuel line and put a new NKG sparkpug in it. Hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

I JUST bought the auger, before i payed bought the gentleman had it running. I never new the fuel stale until the fuel ine came off and i got fuel on my hands. I going to put a new line on it and fresh fuel. I'm not going to **** with the seafoam. Never heard of stale fuel recking a motor maybe gumming a carb up but the seem to not hardl run at all.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Check out Northpro Sports in Saskatoon. They used to sell Nils augers, so they might have a cutter head left. You can also google Fish 307. They are in the states. They run an exchange program. The head is not cheap, however, if you use it like you own it, not like you stole it, the head will not need sharpening for years. I have had the same auger for 20 some years, and have not had a minutes trouble with it. I have used Opti-2 oil in it for most of that time. Easy to start, better revs, minimal smoke, and no oil puking out of the exhaust.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

When I bought the auger the gentlmen said it come with a 6" and an 8" auger. The 8" is a tanaka brand and the 6" (so he called) is actually a 8" nils master auger. I called north pro and no luck. I found one in the states just the blades for 79.99 US. The only problem with the blade now is who ever broke off he centre tip and weld a spike on that won't allow the auger to dig.

I think I found the problem with the auger not running!! There is a screen in the carb that is pobably pluged. I put the new hose on a seen some dirt enter. I took it off and drained it. But how much went by when I cut my first hole. I am going to put an inline filter on it now.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 PM

OD, Seafoam cleans carb deposits out and works fantastic. Do a search on iceshanty.com and you will see that it has a solid reputation for making ice augers purr like a kitten.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

The auger purrss like a kitten, Seafoam is a hidetergent product that trasnlates it breaks down oil deposits. Might be good for a 4 stroke. But a 2stroke needs the oil in the gas to lubricate the bottom end of the motor. The motor runs just fine it is just straved of gas. I replace the hose, no air leaks. It starts on the first pull I shut the choke off and rev it up. It gains good RPM and then boggs. Its straved of fuel. I did some reseach, there is an Inlet screen in the carb. Its most likely the problem. The auger did buzz one hole with amazing power. And when I put the new hose I seen some grud enter the hose when I pulled it over. I would rather pull the screen than trying a bandade cure.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Tanaka

I have a tanaka 305 which I bought new in 1984.For sharpening try ....R&R sharpening @ 780 483 6594...ask for Joe.For tanaka parts try Power equipment center 780 438 1818 they may also have a Nils head.My orginal head did not come with the spike.Hope this helps ......Zepf
Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Banned

Maybe the spike was never meant to be on it.

I put new premium gas with amsiol oil and sparking bolt. It didn't change anything. Pulled the carb apart cleaned inlet screen. Didn't change anything. It would idle with choke on that was it. Started it up sprayed some carb cleaner in the intake it ran for a while and I played with the H and L screws and BAM. Away it goes. FEWWWF!!!! So happy it running now.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
I have used Opti-2 oil in it for most of that time. Easy to start, better revs, minimal smoke, and no oil puking out of the exhaust.
Hi. Can someone recommend a place to buy Opti oil in Edmonton? I would have called the number on their website for dealer locations but it's the weekend. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Banned

Peavy Mart is were I pick up my Amsoil.