Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2023, 06:03 PM

Default Future Steel Buildings

So been tossing around the idea of a Future Steel type quonset for some toy storage. Seems to be a few never been assembled units on kijiji / marketplace for a decent dollar. Anyone here ever bought one and have any suggestions. Talking to the county and Superior Safety Codes for permits and such they are apparently stamped location specific and if you buy it has to be restamped for the area of install at a cost of 2-3000 dollars. These come with paperwork and specific snow, wind loads. Calling FSB asking for information about past orders is like talking to a brick wall. They give you every reason why a person should only buy from them direct and that they need to be installed within 12 months of purchase and blah, blah, blah. I call BS but wondering if someone has any real life experience with an install, are they decent or just a building to replace a few years down the road. I’m thinking just put it up and plead ignorance if anyone ever questions it. The whole permit thing to me seems to be a cash grab for what I’ve gotten from Superior Safety codes on past builds. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:09 PM

I was looking at them on line and have to wonder if they are the same principle as Zipperlock ? Buddy had one, where a machine rides up the panel and seals the seam. Very difficult to repair any subsequent damage to the building. Also, spray foam is the only option for insulation.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-10-2023, 07:40 PM

I would give my opinions on steel buildings, but it's raining, so I have to go out and cover everything inside my steel quonset...
Old 07-10-2023, 08:06 PM

Good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey cox View Post
i would give my opinions on steel buildings, but it's raining, so i have to go out and cover everything inside my steel quonset...
Old 07-10-2023, 08:07 PM

I have a future steel building it is nothing like a zipperlock and would never build another anything would be better than this building set up is terrible
Old 07-10-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I would give my opinions on steel buildings, but it's raining, so I have to go out and cover everything inside my steel quonset...
You nailed it
Old 07-10-2023, 08:33 PM

In my area, just can build up to 576 sq ft without a foundation. So basically just a framed garage on a gravel pad with 6x6 bottom mud sill. Pretty affordable way to build something if you just wanna keep toys out of the weather. That’s only 24x24 though. Not very big.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:21 AM

Put up a pole barn! I bought one of the great deals from future steel buildings an wish I would have stuck with my initial plan for my shop.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Put up a pole barn! I bought one of the great deals from future steel buildings an wish I would have stuck with my initial plan for my shop.

Relatively cheap and cost efficient.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-11-2023, 09:17 AM

I bought a FS building about 12 years ago, 700 sq. ft. Cement pad, piping for in floor heating (but used a furnace instead along with a small AC), enclosed walkway to house, sprayed on insulation. All kinds of projects have come out of there in my retirement. Wish I would have done this 40 years sooner. If you only want some outside storage then build a pole barn, except that mice will be crawling all over everything and pigeons will have a place to roost and splatter bomb your stuff.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:56 AM

That post I made yesterday wasn't a joke. I was putting buckets on anything I didn't want water damaged.
This morning I put out more buckets, because now that the rain has stopped, moisture is condensing on the ceiling and dripping in different spots.
This could be fixed with insulation, but the only option for that is spray foam, and it's expensive.
Back when it was built, they were getting "all you can burn for one low price" natural gas, so the large heater in there never shut off (and there was never snow on it). That constant warm airflow probably kept the condensation down, but that isn't a real option these days.

I'm sure a new steel building would be nicer than my old steel quonset, but this quonset really highlights the shortcomings of a steel building. It has all the downside of a seacan with none of the up sides.
It is better nothing though.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That post I made yesterday wasn't a joke. I was putting buckets on anything I didn't want water damaged.
This morning I put out more buckets, because now that the rain has stopped, moisture is condensing on the ceiling and dripping in different spots.
This could be fixed with insulation, but the only option for that is spray foam, and it's expensive.
Back when it was built, they were getting "all you can burn for one low price" natural gas, so the large heater in there never shut off (and there was never snow on it). That constant warm airflow probably kept the condensation down, but that isn't a real option these days.

I'm sure a new steel building would be nicer than my old steel quonset, but this quonset really highlights the shortcomings of a steel building. It has all the downside of a seacan with none of the up sides.
It is better nothing though.

What brand of quonset?
Old 07-11-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarysledguy View Post
What brand of quonset?
I'll guess Future Steel

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 07-11-2023, 11:28 PM

It's an old quonset, no name on it.
Not a future steel building, more of a past steel building.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
So been tossing around the idea of a Future Steel type quonset for some toy storage. Seems to be a few never been assembled units on kijiji / marketplace for a decent dollar. Anyone here ever bought one and have any suggestions. Talking to the county and Superior Safety Codes for permits and such they are apparently stamped location specific and if you buy it has to be restamped for the area of install at a cost of 2-3000 dollars. These come with paperwork and specific snow, wind loads. Calling FSB asking for information about past orders is like talking to a brick wall. They give you every reason why a person should only buy from them direct and that they need to be installed within 12 months of purchase and blah, blah, blah. I call BS but wondering if someone has any real life experience with an install, are they decent or just a building to replace a few years down the road. I’m thinking just put it up and plead ignorance if anyone ever questions it. The whole permit thing to me seems to be a cash grab for what I’ve gotten from Superior Safety codes on past builds. Thanks for any info.
I heard Meridian are a lot better. I know a guy....