Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Crawling Valley Today ( Report with real information LOL)

Ok guys here is a report with a little substance for a change but not much of it. Myself, Kingfisher and Slingshotz and wife went to CV today to try some derby pre fishing. We took and made a map of the fishing area for the derby and try some new spots. Well not a sniff to say the least while i was there and left about 4:30. Just got a text from the others that stayed for the burb bite and Mrs. Slingshotz was the fisherlady and got a burb and according to the text they finally had some bites. Be careful on the lake as there is lots of snow and is totally different for driving than when I was there a couple of weeks ago. We got hung up on a couple of snow drifts in the morning and had to shovel out a bit to get going again even with the 4x4 and higher trucks. Stay in the grooves and you will be OK. I would not suggest going out without 4x4 right now.
We did have 1 high light of the day as dude with his little Piper Cub airplane landed beside us and stopped for a chat. He was fishing from his plane too and had a pike in there . Caught more than we did fishing the west side where we usually fish.
Here is a few pics of todays trip:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eb%205%202011/
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Hmmm fishing seems to get worse here every year... I for one have given up on it, what do others find?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Default You are right

I agree as I am not catching amount I have been in the past. The dude in the plane today was telling us the same and he has been fishing there as long as myself, maybe longer as he looked way older than me. Says he has changed fishing areas there and has done a little better but yes it is not like it was, i know there are fish in there but getting them to bite is another thing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Awesome pics Ken!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 PM

Yeah not sure, know some people from Rosebud that fish it lots too, not even a keeper pike this year! They fish the other end of the lake... Open water season may tell a different story. Couldn't be caused by fishing pressure.

The derby winning fish are an absolute joke too, dont really ever hear of any decent fish coming out of that lake at all.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:37 PM

Well just got back and cleaned the fish. Driving conditions got a little worse getting into the city but doesn't look like the 30cm of snow warning yet.

There definitely was more than the one fish in the west side. Kingfisher had something nibble off all his bait and then a few minutes later wife caught the burb. Cut it open and it did not have Kingfisher's bait in it, it was gorged out on shrimp and a few little minnows. Couldn't find the camera to take photos of the hundreds of shrimp in the stomach but maybe that's what should be used in the derby, a big shrimp ball.

Was definitely a slow day, didn't see anything large on the flasher all day until the burb. I'm guessing the fish are all sitting somewhere trying to digest all the shrimp they've been eating.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Cool pics Gringo!

Slingshotz - the pike I caught at the gathering a few weeks ago was stuffed with shrimp too (and 1 pink smelt LOL). I guess the fish there have developed a taste for FW shrimp...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Fishing with an airplane would be amazing. You could go to CVR and Newell and McGregor and Spray and Chain all in one day.