Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 04:01 PM

Default Rifle rest for tree stands

After some poking and prodding plus lowering I finally got my wife into a Treestand this year but she is having a hard time getting comfortable when trying to line up a shot. She won’t pull the trigger unless she is 100% confidant which is good but it also makes her needy lol

Anyone have experience with the rifle rests for tree stands on the market or have pics of one they have made?

Somedays my life would be easier if I never got her into hunting lol
Old 11-16-2020, 04:12 PM

There are rests like this one, but they are pricey!
Old 11-16-2020, 04:21 PM

Default Would you consider this?

You could try using the top half of a climbing tree stand. It essentially forms a loop around the stand sitter. This also may make your wife more comfortable as it gives you the feeling you have a "handrail" surrounding her in the stand.

Another approach is to use a ground blind...if you mostly zipped up and you play the wind right...it is very scentless.

You could use a monopod or bipod and rest it on the stand base. But this could get clunky if you have to spin around to point a rifle in a different direction than where you expect a deer to arrive.

I hunt with my wife as well and it can be a challenge, but the rules are she must shoot the first legal deer that comes around that she feels comfortable shooting...which usually happens early in the season. She is happy with this tradeoff as she not concerned about horn size...she likes to fill the freezer. She likes hunting together from a ground blind where I have invested in Heater Body suits and lots of hand/foot warmers and thick boots to keep her comfy. I bought a backpack to haul all the stuff out the ground blind.
Hoopi
Old 11-16-2020, 05:32 PM

I just use a cheap single leg adjustable shooting stick from cabelas, weather I'm in my stand or my ground blind I just adjust it when I get in.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I just use a cheap single leg adjustable shooting stick from cabelas, weather I'm in my stand or my ground blind I just adjust it when I get in.
Same here, mine is a Primus adjustable walking staff with a V style gun rest
Cat
Old 11-16-2020, 06:00 PM

Thanks guys I will see how a walking stick style rest works for her before going the expensive route
Old 11-25-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
After some poking and prodding plus lowering I finally got my wife into a Treestand this year but she is having a hard time getting comfortable when trying to line up a shot. She won’t pull the trigger unless she is 100% confidant which is good but it also makes her needy lol

Anyone have experience with the rifle rests for tree stands on the market or have pics of one they have made?

Somedays my life would be easier if I never got her into hunting lol
Do a Google Search for Steadyshooter tripod and check out this product. Call the number and you can get one for $100 plus shipping.