Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Chickened out.

Who else was scared to use up there priority this year.Was going to draw high priority mule deer and moose but changed to 999 at last minute .Thank goodness that's an option now.Feel better having high priority.Scared to start over again.Think I will draw when forced too.When there are no more options say 10 years from now.Thats going to apply to all my draws.Kind of a double edged sword though.Any one else think the same.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Yup same ... My favourite thing is to build my priority ... Way to gready to cash it in .... Although I did apply for Turkey this year ...
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM

3 mild winters in a row, lots of crops left out over last winter, great spring moisture and plant growth, stable regulations....what are you waiting for exactly? This year has the makings of a spectacular hunting season.I'm betting we will see some monsters taken this year.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:34 PM

I will go out this year as a observer, not hunt. But did put in 999 in all my draws. As of right now couldn't shoot a rifle at all. Had a big accident back in February.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM

I put in for my mule deer priority 8 right now. I'm not a deer hunter so I figured what the heck. It's more of a time issue. I remember as a young hunter I would get my mule tag and smack one an hour later. Actually that was 20 yrs ago and I see more deer now than then.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:30 PM

Default More thoughts/Worries

Just to many people at the bottom of priority list,rather be at top .No idea what waiting for to draw.I feel hunting in alberta still has enough opportunity for general licence. But in five or ten years I bet a lot will change and high priority is what a person will need just to hunt not so lucrative areas. Zones that are 8yr mule deer will be fifteeen. As for all species. I'm going to wait .I could see moose going to one tag for four people.Or such.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Why wait 10years to hunt moose in an area that will probably be more populated by people...have less moose..and cost more...when you could get out there now and hunt moose! Or worse, get in an accident or something and no longer be able to hunt. I'm not telling you what to do, but if it were me..I'd enjoy it while I can! The future is never certain.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM

You might want to be careful with waiting to long to draw. I can see change in future coming with any draws taking more than 10 years going to lottery like bison draw. Young hunters starting out will need some opportunity to get a tag.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM

I burned my moose points and put in for the wrong damned zone! Wanted 312 and did 316...I feel like I've been gut shot. I had a great big monster moose all lined up in 312, permission etc. and messed it up. All I can hope for is I don't get drawn but I've got a lot of points so it's probably a done deal.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkamaniac View Post
Who else was scared to use up there priority this year.Was going to draw high priority mule deer and moose but changed to 999 at last minute .Thank goodness that's an option now.Feel better having high priority.Scared to start over again.Think I will draw when forced too.When there are no more options say 10 years from now.Thats going to apply to all my draws.Kind of a double edged sword though.Any one else think the same.

Not sure what you mean by "thank goodness that's an option now". 999ing? When wasn't that an option?

I understand saving priority if you might not have time to do a particular hunt, including scouting, etc.. But I don't see the point of saving just for savings sake. Heck, you may become ill and unable to hunt. They may change the rules on you. Live your hunting life for today! Never know what tomorrow may bring.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I burned my moose points and put in for the wrong damned zone! Wanted 312 and did 316...I feel like I've been gut shot. I had a great big monster moose all lined up in 312, permission etc. and messed it up. All I can hope for is I don't get drawn but I've got a lot of points so it's probably a done deal.

I doubt you could get it changed to 312, but could you tell them you made a mistake and just withdraw the 316 selection, even if they didn't give you the 312 or even a 999? Strikes me that a person SHOULD be able to cancel a selection at any time before they are awarded. Simply make it as if you didn't put in any selection. Not even a 999. Just put the selection back into the pool and award it to the next guy. Everyone wins. You wouldn't build any priority but at least you wouldn't waste a draw, and also cause someone else who wanted it not to get it.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not sure what you mean by "thank goodness that's an option now". 999ing? When wasn't that an option?

I understand saving priority if you might not have time to do a particular hunt, including scouting, etc.. But I don't see the point of saving just for savings sake. Heck, you may become ill and unable to hunt. They may change the rules on you. Live your hunting life for today! Never know what tomorrow may bring.
Nope, for many years there was no 999 option after the priority draws became available.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliespotter View Post
Nope, for many years there was no 999 option after the priority draws became available.
OK, good to know. But they've been around for at least a decade. Nothing new.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 PM

Why not use it and start rebuilding???

Mule deer next year for this guy in some 100 zone.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 PM

I chickened out as well, by choosing to use my high priority to draw now, rather than risk the system being changed, and losing the ability to be certain of drawing certain tags.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

Talking

Have never run with the 999 option ever.
Prefer to roll the dice, and target the zones I like for any given species right from the get go.

That said, I do so love it when loads of fellows 999 continuously. Especially when I draw a tag that supposedly requires 8+ points, with only one or two...

Cheers & Thanks,
Nog
Old 06-29-2017, 02:34 PM

I think next year I will start drawing my tags.The option that I was glad to have was going into my account and changing my choices before deadline day. But cost the same as putting in draw again. Think I'll start with my antelope.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I chickened out as well, by choosing to use my high priority to draw now, rather than risk the system being changed, and losing the ability to be certain of drawing certain tags.
haha not to mention not adding a year onto the next time you can draw
Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM

Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM

You can change things here with a phone call if you call BEFORE the end of the application period
Old 06-29-2017, 03:05 PM

I ended up 999'ing them all this year. Main reason was that our group couldn't coordinate, plus I'm lacking the time and equipment at the moment for my desired zones.

In the meantime, I still have enough general opportunities to keep me busy.

Like 1bowhunter12, I started putting in for turkey this year.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I doubt you could get it changed to 312, but could you tell them you made a mistake and just withdraw the 316 selection, even if they didn't give you the 312 or even a 999? Strikes me that a person SHOULD be able to cancel a selection at any time before they are awarded. Simply make it as if you didn't put in any selection. Not even a 999. Just put the selection back into the pool and award it to the next guy. Everyone wins. You wouldn't build any priority but at least you wouldn't waste a draw, and also cause someone else who wanted it not to get it.
I called the day after the draws closed and the nice gal said there's no way to change it. I understand how it is, it's my mistake and I gotta live with it. I hunted 316 a few times and swore I'd never go back, now I'll have to at least give it a try. It's heartbreaking after the spot I found.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I called the day after the draws closed and the nice gal said there's no way to change it. I understand how it is, it's my mistake and I gotta live with it. I hunted 316 a few times and swore I'd never go back, now I'll have to at least give it a try. It's heartbreaking after the spot I found.

I hunted a area that I swore never to hunt again. I shot a moose on the last day of our hunt. Funny thing is we went back to the same spot a year later and my son shot a moose on the last day of our hunt. They are there ya just gotta find them. We call it huntin. Good luck.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-29-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
This is why I never wait until the last day to put in my draws, and I always verify my draws right after I submit them.If something goes wrong, you can call and have your application deleted, as long as you do it before the draw deadline. .
Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post

Young hunters starting out will need some opportunity to get a tag.
I totally agree... They need the opportunity.

After they wait 10 years, like I had to...

Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 PM

going for the cow moose while I can still drag it out , lol . I see them every year except this year probably . Been alternating between cow and bull for years , time waits for no man
Old 06-30-2017, 07:20 AM

Young hunters have one huge advantage, thar being that they can get partner tags for several licenses that adults can't. So parents, relatives or friends can take youths along on hunts , so they don't have to wait for many years to draw tags of their own.. I actually offered my pronghorn tag to a certain teenager this fall, if we can make the arrangements for him and his father to come along. If he has to draw the tag on his own, he will likely be in his thirties or forties.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Should be able to get a moose draw twice in 10 years.
I wish there were more guys like you.
I would be able to get drawn every second year then.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Banned

I messed up and forgot to 999 my turkey draw.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:42 PM

Default YYC Chef

Quote:
Dont worry about 316, some huge ones taken out in 2016 and lots more there.

You other guys be careful how long you wait... time waits for nobody.