Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Default The big C

Well I have seen a few folks on here that have had to deal with cancer.

I have been part of that group since my diagnosis in January. The words "We found cancer" still are hard to hear and believe. I have went through chemo and radiation for a tumor found in my lower colon. Now I am facing some major surgery to remove the now shrunken tumour and dr is confident he will get it all.

I go for surgery next Tuesday and I imagine with the downtime I may be spending more time on here. Please share your stories and pics of fishing, hunting, outdoor adventures, especially with scenery as I will be limited for myself.

Prognosis is good but I will have to deal with an ileostomy for 8 months and if anyone has some advice on that and hunting please let me know how that works!.

I have not spoken about this before too openly because I was dealing with it. So once again please share your outdoor adventures so I can live vicariously through your exploits...

Cheers!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 PM

That is hard news, Nekred!

I had those words told to me last Fall - And I'm super thankful that I'm on the road to getting back to normal at this point. I had to live vicariously through this forum last season!

Had a chunk of intestine removed a while back as well - not for Cancer, but Crohn's - in my case I was blessed that I didn't have to have a stoma - but once everything healed up I was in a lot better shape overall. It should be that you will find that to be true for you as well. Depending on how much of your colon they take out, you may need to do some experimenting with what you eat, keep track of how that affects you. For me, I'm missing my terminal ileum now (which has kind of a valve near the appendix) so I tend to need to sprint for the john more often if I don't behave.

Make sure you take the time to recover - get your strength back - I think I went back to work too early, and hit it really hard too (new project). I think if I had taken a step back at the time, I would be feeling better by now.

Staying positive - and having friends and family that support you through this is key. Just knowing that people were thinking about me and praying for me was huge.

And we AO'ers will be rooting for you... Right, guys and gals?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Hoping all goes well. Sounds like you got this beat. I'll congratulate you In advance!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:50 PM

All the best man, hope to see you out on the range when you get back to 100%

LC
Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM

All the best. Rooting for a speedy and complete recovery!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 03:24 PM

All the best sir.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
All the best sir.
X2
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM

You'll be in my thoughts, and I'll be sure to post up the adventures of my scouting... Just got permission on a promising new field last week.

Nekred, where are you located?

Jeff
Old 06-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Diagnosis in January and surgery in June. Sounds like you have it well in hand.
Thats great news. Im sure you had some rough days in between.
Best of luck on your continued recovery.

Just looked up ileostomy EWWWWW

Save time... see it my way
Old 06-23-2017, 03:31 PM

Good luck and I wish you the best. AO was a lifesaver a few weeks back while I was down. Keep us posted on your recovery.

BW
Old 06-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Default Attitude is everything!!

I read somewhere that knowledge is power but ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Go in with positive attitude and you will be fine
Don't forget to laugh, releases some hormones ( not sure which) that helps fighting cancer
Laugh a day keeps cancer away
And have a happy place ( very important), you can go there any time when going gets tough or when you are down
Remember it's only temporarily and next season you will be hunting

And good luck, stay strong for your family and yourself.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
All the best. Rooting for a speedy and complete recovery!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
X2. Wish you a fast recovery.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Default Surgery sucks...

... but it beats the alternatives!

Just wanted to recommend this forum for any colorectal cancer questions, especially about dealing with the ileostomy: http://coloncancersupport.colonclub....wforum.php?f=1

There are lots of folks who post on there who are outdoorsmen and sportsmen and who are out doing the back country for work or play and will have personal experience to back their recommendations.

I was lucky enough to skip the stoma, but did have multiple surgeries during my adventures with colon cancer. My experience was that recovery was much faster if I got walking right away, and if I kept the high-end painkillers to a minimum (they cause me major constipation and nausea and disorientation) and just controlled the pain with alternating Tylenol / Advil and controlled the nausea with Gravol. Talk with your surgeon and anesthetist before going under about your best options for controlling pain and nausea, and get them to write up orders for different levels of meds so that you can see what works best for you without having to wait for the doc to do rounds to make changes to the orders.

The most important "tool" for me was an abdominal binder similar to this: http://www.alphabrace.com/Hospital-G...ductinfo/7100/ that I put on after the surgery and kept on most of each day for at least a week and up to 6 weeks (depending on which surgery it was). The support that it gave allowed me to comfortably do multiple walks of a few km per day, and got me out of the hospital days sooner than average. I picked one up at Co-op Home Healthcare on MacLeod Trail here in Calgary before one of my surgeries, and woke up with another one provided by the hospital after another surgery. Chat with your surgeon about it before going under the knife, since they should be able to provide you with one that will work with the stoma if necessary.

All the best to you for a successful surgery and quick and easy recovery --- and hopefully you'll be back out in to the back-country really soon.

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Banned

By the sounds of it, you're going through the same procedure I went through 2 1/2 years ago. If you would like to bs about it feel free to pm me your phone number. The best advice I can give you is stay positive and surround yourself with positive people.

I don't have many stories or pics that I'd like to share about hunting on here. I would rather do it around a box of beer and a fire.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Best of luck to you Sir!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Best of luck to you Sir!
2x.. we are all pulling for you !!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

I forgot to add you should be alright to hunt. Had my surgery may 4, emergency surgery for twisted stomach around this time in June. Just have to be careful is all. Might want to look at something called a "stealth belt". They're a little pricey but well worth it.

I'll send you another pm with other info.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Best of luck with the recovery!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 PM

Best wishes, Nekred. And happy hunting in the future.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
You'll be in my thoughts, and I'll be sure to post up the adventures of my scouting... Just got permission on a promising new field last week.

Nekred, where are you located?

Jeff
Just west of Edmonton
Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 AM

Wishing you he best outcome and quick recovery. I wouldn't write off the outdoors because of the ileostomy, they can be inconvenient, but are maneagable. I had one for a couple of months between operations when I had a total colectomy (ulcerative colitis) and a j-pouch made from a chunk of my small intestine. You can have a home care nurse come to your house to help with some bag changes until you gain confidence. Trust me...your wife will thank you! Also, the support group is a good idea because for some reason, most of your friends and family may not share your enthusiasm talking about colons and ileo bags.
Expect to lose some more weight, but putting it back on can be great...ice cream with syrup .... yummy...no limits
Old 06-24-2017, 05:23 AM

Went threw the C many years ago.
Its very depressing.
Change your radio station to 105.9 (The shine)
I wish they had it back then.
Were all praying for you in this journey you are going threw.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the support and best wishes! Will keep everyone posted!
Old 06-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Banned

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Good luck and speedy recovery.
X2.

Chin up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

I don't know of any advise that I could provide neckred. But, I will pray for you and see you through this ordeal. Cancer is no longer a sentence, it can be beaten, and you can do it man.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 PM

Sorry for your situation. Most importantly keep faith. We live in amazing medical times. Doctors told me to get my things in order and prepare for the worst when I was diagnosed with leukemia. That was 8 years ago now. Still good to go now.

As for the recovery and keeping in touch with the forum and stories might I suggest you try some of the computer hunting and fishing games. They helped me during recovery. I you want I have a few of those games around and would be more than willing to send you a couple to keep you occupied. Just send me a PM if you want the games.

Chin up and straight ahead and all will be fine.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 PM

Default The big c

I have an urostomy setup and while it is annoying it has never really slowed me down. With my over item bag my body has to be higher than it but minor problem. Go on line , check with the companies that make your supplies. I had some help at the start due to inexperience on the nurses and doctors part but went online and thru experimenting learned the hard way. I went from 2 to 3 day change to 9 to 12 days. No leaks for at least one year. Piker
Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 PM

I hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. Word to the wise limit your time in the general section lol.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

Thoughts going out to you.

Attitude and weed bud. My uncle went through colon cancer a number of years back, that's the two big things that kept him going.