Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Fly fishing book collection

I have a fly fishing book collection that I'm look to find the value of. I want Idea of a value as a full collection and I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to a knowledgeable fly fishing book adviser. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:48 AM

htp://flyanglersonline.com/features/booksellers/
fix the http on the link above

bookfinder.com and addall.com search multiple on-line booksellers but you have to be careful of "hoper" prices where only one or two copies are listed.

I have found that fly fishing books do not sell well in Canada compared to the much larger market in the U.S. and within Canada it is easiest to sell fishing books in B.C.

Books sold as a collection bring much less than books marketed individually to a target audience. You will find that the major book dealers offer surprisingly little compared to the asking prices of modest but scarce fishing books .

Truly rare and valuable fishing books might be worth consigning to one of the major book auction sites in the U.S. Here we are talking of books valued at many hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 AM

I have collected vintage books along with fly fishing equipment for a great many years. Part of what you have to look at is condition, do individual books have the original dust covers, any moisture marks or dog legs & writing inside Provenance aside. Like most vintage items it's condition condition condition for a collector. Rarity and age does not always equate to value. It is dependent on collector needs.

I've appraised Fly Fishing collections where some have been worth a fortune and others not worth the trip to the dump.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with pricing.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations

Last edited by Lornce; 06-25-2017 at 07:50 AM.