Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 PM

Default Binoculars

Not sure that this is the right area, but looking for some help with a new pair of binos... I looked through the rack at cabelas the other day, from $100-4000 and found a nice pair of nikons that I liked (monarch 7 10x42)

Couple things I want some feedback on:

1- is a 10x42 about the perfect setup? This will be my first set of what I would consider expensive ($650 ish). Or is the 50mm objective really worth the size and weight?

2- Anyone with Nikon experience care to testify to their good/bad points? And is it worth having a set that good/expensive?

A good friend of mine has the swaros in 10x42 and they are amazing, but I can not bring myself to spend $3500 on a pair of binos haha.

Let's discuss...
Old 06-24-2017, 11:17 PM

What type of hunting do you do and where?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 AM

I like 10x42 as a do it all bino. But depending on your hunting style, another option might be something along the lines of an 8x32. And I have no experience with that particular binocular, but I've been happy with my Nikon optics for the price. I have an 7i rangefinder and an ED50 spotter, that are great value optics I feel.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Just purchased a pair of vortex razor 8x42 the clearity is amazing.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Everyone's eyes are a little different so be sure to look through as many as you can find. To my eye, there are none shy of $1000 that can match the Bushnell Legend HD. I went with the 8x36 model and they have the same ED Prime glass that comes in the Elite line. These have an amazing FOV and make objects visible well past legal light. I might choose differently if I was a sheep hunter or spending hours behind glass on the open prairie.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:05 AM

Be sure to check pricing at London drugs. You will be very happy with the price there.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Default optics

Different needs for different folks. That's why they have as many options out there as they do. Whether it be close range, far ranges, old eyes, young eyes, and then of course ......budget!
Most people who have been around the block a time or two, will tell you to buy the best pair you can afford, and rightly so, as this is a huge long term investment into all your future hunting activities.
if you hunt bush country only, a set of lower power optics are ideal. Mountain and prairie hunts often require a higher power to pick things out at long range. To get the best quality light gathering, divide the big lens by the small lens and get the biggest number you can: 50/10=5. Way better than a 56/15=3.7 (meaning a 10x50 bino should be better at light gathering than a 15x56)
It's not all about power, but light gathering, clarity (is the view in the glass clear right to the edges), and the quality of lens coatings. For myself, I had a huge education with optics in low light conditions. During the last half hour of light, a top name brand was useless beside a good pair of swarovski. Sometimes that last ten minutes of the day is critical.
The older I get, the tougher to hold the high power 10x glasses steady for longer viewing. I recently went to 8x (already miss the higher power, but easier to hold).
When it comes to economics. I have seen some pretty incredible glasses in the mid price range. The glass used in many brands are now coming out of the same labs, so the field of quality is becoming more narrow. Dont eliminate names like pentax, nikon, and even bushnell has really picked up a notch in the quality department. Luepold is ever popular and has been producing lower price options, but "you get what you pay for". And, one thing you do get with your money when buying Luepold, is some of the best service in warranty in the field.
If you cant afford swaro's and still want to look at some high-quality european models, check out names like meopta and khales. (I recently let a pair of 8x42 kahles slip by that I know I will regret, but how many binos does a guy really need?)
I would say the pair of Nikons you mentioned in your post would likely be a great pair of binos to get you going. I have looked through enough Nikon glasses and spotters at the range to know a quality glass. If something happened to my swarovskis , and I had to borrow a pair for a few days, Nikons would certainly make me feel confident in what I was carrying. I cant speak for their service department, but have never heard of anyone sending them back for anything.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 AM

A number of years ago I asked the same question on this forum. The response I got was to go talk to birding experts since they really know the ins and outs of binoculars. I went to the Wild Bird General Store just north of the Labatt's brewery on the south side, and talk to the sales clerk there. I never regretted it! Tried many, many pairs of binos, including Swarovski and Steiner, all the time listening to the comments of the clerk. I completely agree with the earlier posts on what size of binoculars to chose based on your type of hunting, but there is no doubt in my mind that the best quality glass for the money is Vortex. I have changed all my binos (3 pair) and scopes (2) to that brand. As an aside, the Wild Bird General Store collects unwanted binos for shipment to Africa for distribution to the wildlife officer classes held there; a very worthwhile cause.

Vic
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 AM

For the money Nikons Monarch 5 and 7 are hard to beat. For my eyes, and my two hunting partners who have Vortex, the Nikons are clearer with better color and fine feature definition than the Vortexs, both are switching. 10x42 is a pretty good all purpose size. They are also highly rated in the online Birder Binocular reviews.

To find better glass I had to go up to the top of the line Leica, so from $350 (London Drugs on sale) to $2500 for the Leicas.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 AM

Default Binos

Some very good advice above.

I am currently using Nikon Monarchs 10x42 as my day to day binos and quite like them. I do have some others, Bushnell, Vortex, and a couple mini pairs of B&L and Nikon.

One thing to look at is warranty, "just in case".

I bought a pair of Steiner Pilots and when very cold, one eye would go black. I sent them in for repair and the service was less than stellar. They had them for about a year, then told me their lifetime warranty did not apply to this model. Funny, the warranty card said it did. They would not return them and offered to give me a deal on a new pair. Why would I buy a new pair when your warranty service is **** ?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

- 10x42 is what most would call "Industry Standard" in the world of Binos.
- Nikon Monarch is their "Top of the Line", and they only come in 5 & 7. The later is the best/most expensive.
- You cannot (for the most part) beat Nikons "bang-for-yourbuck" value. They're as good as most $1000-$1500 binos @ half the price.

Your decision is solid... Buy the Monarch 7 binos !

I would have bought them, if I did't get a pair of Steiners Predators for $350.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:09 PM

My hunting is all over and all types of terrain, hence why I am trying to get the best all round set. Seems like everyone agrees that the 10x42 is the "standard".

Glad to hear the same kind of feedback here I have been reading about the nikons. For my eyes the only set that I could tell was any better for clarity and a slight bit brighter were the Swarovski set, but for five times the price, and minimal difference at best I can't seem to justify it. Next will be a good spotter but for now these should do all that I need.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:10 PM

Oh and thanks for the tip on London drugs.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:05 PM

Nikon is great. You will be happy with this glass. Vortex is still good but there price has increased over to the past couple of years to where they are not the deal they were when first entering the market the same can be said for their warranty many others have matched it now.

As others have said exit pupil is important. I would rather carry a couple of extra ounces which I cannot tell with most of the available carrying systems to make sure that i have the power and brightness and steadyness that I need for hunting.Typically as you get older you want more steadyness and sometimes with the southern alberta wind you wish you had more.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:06 PM

Have a look at the swarovski cl campanions in 8x30 or 10x30. not badly priced for a high quality glass.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM

The Nikon Monarch 7 in 10x42 is a solid choice. I love mine, and don't think they can be beat for anything near in price.

Last edited by jkav; 06-25-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:29 PM

10x42 are too big for me to carry and they don't get carried around. I had some Vortex Diamondback 8x32 and those were decent, but they walked away. I was thinking of getting the smaller 8x25 Vipers (?) but did not want to spend much money at the time. So recently I picked up some Nikon Travelite EX 8x25, and they are very decent. They were on sale at Cabelas a while ago. The regular price was about $190.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 PM

If you have more airmiles than you know what to do with, there are some ziess 10x42 available for way too many points. A friend just picked up a pair and they are very nice and just the right size.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:07 AM

LEUPOLD MOJAVE 8x42 OMGOSH best binos ive owned...and ive owned a lot. and i bought mine off ebay they were much cheaper. look around online and youll find a great deal! All the best
Old 06-26-2017, 05:20 AM

Somebody suggested talking to birders and ask them what they like. There is one brand of binoculars that I don't see mentioned here that has won many "best buy" accolades from birding magazines. I own their binoculars and spotting scope and would put up against any of the brand mentioned here, check out Alpen. I am not sure where you would find them. My wife worked for a wholesaler that handled them. I looked through the binoculars and was impressed. I went on an elk hunt and my Bushnells let me down. The Alpens live around my neck any time I am out in the bush.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Not sure that this is the right area, but looking for some help with a new pair of binos... I looked through the rack at cabelas the other day, from $100-4000 and found a nice pair of nikons that I liked (monarch 7 10x42)

Couple things I want some feedback on:

1- is a 10x42 about the perfect setup? This will be my first set of what I would consider expensive ($650 ish). Or is the 50mm objective really worth the size and weight?

2- Anyone with Nikon experience care to testify to their good/bad points? And is it worth having a set that good/expensive?

A good friend of mine has the swaros in 10x42 and they are amazing, but I can not bring myself to spend $3500 on a pair of binos haha.

Let's discuss...
1. I would not consider 10X binos the perfect setup - I think 8X take this. 10X are nice, but I find it hard (and quickly frustrating) to freehold 10X for any length of time without getting dizzy, disoriented. If I was using a tripod for my binos (which I don't) this may help. If having one set, I'd chose 8x42.

2. I've never owned a pair of Nikon, but experience on this forum says that many have and plenty of good feedback occurs on them (both for rifle scopes and binos). Regardless of the cost I'd still want to do some side by side comparisons at a big box store near closing time to get their low light capabilities.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:01 AM

Great thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
The older I get, the tougher to hold the high power 10x glasses steady for longer viewing. I recently went to 8x (already miss the higher power, but easier to hold).
Very true! I find this for me as well. I'm looking into getting a tripod mount for mine for when I have longer glassing sessions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
One thing to look at is warranty, "just in case".
Definitely this!

For my budget, I was looking at Nikon and Vortex (I am too clumsy for nice stuff!) I really like them both, but I found that my eyes were a touch happier with the Nikon glass.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
For my budget, I was looking at Nikon and Vortex (I am too clumsy for nice stuff!) I really like them both, but I found that my eyes were a touch happier with the Nikon glass.
I couldn't say it better myself! I have little ones that love to be a part of every excursion so the no fault warranty is nice piece of mind. The nikons I looked through just seemed better for my eyes than the other comparable priced options, even some that were double. Think I'm going to go with them, just have to settle on 8 or 10 power...
Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 AM

Default bino's

You are going about it correctly finding the right bino's for you. The only way to see what works, fits and is the right price is by looking through them. We can give you all the suggestion's in the world but if they don't feel right you won't be happy. I have been using Nikon's MONARCH 7 10x42's for 2 years and this past Spring I used the MONARCH 7 10x30. These are a bit lower priced, smaller and worked great while turkey hunting. Definitley worth taking a look at.
Should you drop em or accidentally run them over they are covered by Nikon's No Fault Policy too.