Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
A 100 or so tags won't solve the problem. Unless you're talking per wmu. If my memory is correct the last year of the great grizz hunt 2 tags were given in wmu 357. Friend of mine had one of the tags and shoot one that made book.
I suppose 100 tags might not do it. A target harvest of 100 bears would though. Whatever it takes to reduce the problems.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
So if you know that this is happening why aren't you reporting them? Seems you are fairly knowledgeable about illegal activities. I know it happens because three were shot around Rio grande. Implying the landowners are doing this regularly is bunk.

I'm curious how you get landowners to give you permission when you seem quite willing to throw them under the bus. Pretty classy fella.
Who say I am throwing anyone under the bus?
What some rancher does on his place I could care less.
If they are protecting their animals then I totally understand.
You really think if there was an issue the fish cops would spend the countless hrs changing anything? Doubt it!
And $100 000 fine I highly doubt it. Jail time I really doubt it as well but I am sure the odd guy may get time depending on circumstance. That may be the maximum but it won't be near that.
There were at least 8 bears that were poached in 2015 that were being investigated. How many more do you think were killed and not found in the province? Probably double that I would think or more. I don't think you will find most of the carcasses from poached grizz because of the areas they are in. My thoughts on it.
11 Poached in 2013 as another stat. You really think that was all of them?

How many does it take before you will say that is happens frequently and it is a little more than the odd teenage kid poaching for fun of it?
So if I am so wrong in thinking it's the ranchers and farmers shooting these things then I would love to hear who is poaching them other than the odd idiot shooting them for the heck of it?

Last edited by sns2; 06-28-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: inappropriate
Old 06-28-2017, 04:58 PM

76 or 78 tags the last year in the province and none in mountain zones if I can remember right.
6 Bears were killed including the one I killed a 23 year old toothless bear that had previous history with the fish cops and been relocated twice. Lots of info when they got a gps needle stuck up their nose I found out.....
Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You really think if there was an issue the fish cops would spend the countless hrs changing anything? Doubt it!
And $100 000 fine I highly doubt it. Jail time I really doubt it as well but I am sure the odd guy may get time depending on circumstance. That may be the maximum but it won't be near that.
There were at least 8 bears that were poached in 2015 that were being investigated. How many more do you think were killed and not found in the province? Probably double that I would think or more. I don't think you will find most of the carcasses from poached grizz because of the areas they are in. My thoughts on it.

How many does it take before you will say that is happens frequently and it is a little more than the odd teenage kid poaching for fun of it?
So if I am so wrong in thinking it's the ranchers and farmers shooting these things then I would love to hear who is poaching them other than the odd retard shooting them for the heck of it?
Curious how you use a derogatory term for a disabled person and not get slapped?
Implying the farmers and ranchers are poaching grizz bears is like me saying that trappers seeing a grizzly by their out house are shooting them.
If the fines are nothing to be worried about. Come on up. Could use a little bear control around here. Funny how you preach about ethics at times but when it suits you its fine to look the other way. Makes me sad that you call yourself a hunter.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM

And a 100 tags a year would actually do quite a bit. If you head over to the west just a short ways the grizzly have a totally different attitude. You sure as heck don't see them standing on the side of the road for photo opportunities lol
Those grizzly that are hunted know when to haul azz !!!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 PM

?

Your a mess bud!
Go pick a fight with someone else.
Believe what you want I really don't care.
EDIT
Not meant at you Tork
Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 PM

Yes a 100 a year would make a difference
Old 06-28-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
And a 100 tags a year would actually do quite a bit. If you head over to the west just a short ways the grizzly have a totally different attitude. You sure as heck don't see them standing on the side of the road for photo opportunities lol
Those grizzly that are hunted know when to haul azz !!!
Good possibility. Can't say for sure. Only go to the bc bush a couple times a year.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Good possibility. Can't say for sure. Only go to the bc bush a couple times a year.
Well I spend quite a bit of time out there these days, and my grizzly seem to have a fairly healthy respect of me and my guides.

They avoid us like the plague !!! lol
Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I spend quite a bit of time out there these days, and my grizzly seem to have a fairly healthy respect of me and my guides.

Good to hear. Lol. Did you get a chance to go have a look at that wide pipeline?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. Lol. Did you get a chance to go have a look at that wide pipeline?
Not yet. I'll likely make it in there by late fall or this winter. Busy getting ready for moose now !
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not yet. I'll likely make it in there by late fall or this winter. Busy getting ready for moose now !
Cool if I get a chance I'll go up on a blueberry excursion and have a look
Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

So if I am so wrong in thinking it's the ranchers and farmers shooting these things then I would love to hear who is poaching them other than the odd retard shooting them for the heck of it?

My vote for the most blither and unfounded post of 2017. Best get a grip on your emotions.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

When they know they are in peril they seem to act quite differently. I'd like to see some of the ones in your North concession. Got to be some hogs!!I'll bet you take some nice ones this Fall.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Got to agree with Nube on this one. i think people would be very niave to believe the only illegal bears taken are the the ones that are documented.I also believe if there was a season with a limited amount of tags availiable it would help save a few of these would be poached bears, as the individauls shooting the bears might refrain in hopes that they may someday draw a tag.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty barrel View Post
Got to agree with Nube on this one. i think people would be very niave to believe the only illegal bears taken are the the ones that are documented.I also believe if there was a season with a limited amount of tags availiable it would help save a few of these would be poached bears, as the individauls shooting the bears might refrain in hopes that they may someday draw a tag.
I got no doubt that grizz bears are being shot but I do doubt that landowners are doing the majority of the shooting.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
My vote for the most blither and unfounded post of 2017. Best get a grip on your emotions.
I wouldn't expect you would agree with anything I had to say. I actually get a kick that you have to post every time I do as well. You must have had your feelings hurt one time or another..
Sure haven't heard you tell us who you were on here before? I'm sure if you told us it would explain a lot lol
Old 06-28-2017, 10:15 PM

Default Warning

Come on boys. Play nice. Keep er on the rails because it seems to be hitting the ditch.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

What nube said sounds about right.

Many landowners are sick of grizzlies. Those who assume that only 8 were shot are clueless as to the situation.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
What nube said sounds about right.

Many landowners are sick of grizzlies. Those who assume that only 8 were shot are clueless as to the situation.
I don't know if the landowners are sick of the grizzlies or sick of having their hands tied when it comes time to have to deal with them. I have no idea how many grizzly bears are shot. Maybe you and nube can enlighten me with some factual numbers rather then speculation that more are shot then 8. Maybe since you guys are all wise about whose doing it you can give me some numbers about landowners vs trappers vs hikers vs hunters vs retards ( as nube puts it). There is no actual numbers is there? So you guys living in the city know all about what is going on in the rural areas when it comes to grizz bears?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Last year was the first time I had a Griz in my back yard.

Lots around.... I expect some encounters will happen this fall.

I don't know why.... but I really want a Griz rug.
Been at my place 10 years now by Debolt ,first grizz last year 50yds from my cabin ,had another one 2 miles away ,moveing east ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1480617582908.jpg (40.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
76 or 78 tags the last year in the province and none in mountain zones if I can remember right.
6 Bears were killed including the one I killed a 23 year old toothless bear that had previous history with the fish cops and been relocated twice. Lots of info when they got a gps needle stuck up their nose I found out.....
Now, that makes it all the more special - knowing that there's a story behind the bear you took. Very cool.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:16 PM

Norwest I gave up on you a while ago but I figure I will answer a few questions if you care.

"I don't know if the landowners are sick of the grizzlies or sick of having their hands tied when it comes time to have to deal with them."
Both I think. Any rancher caught shooting them no matter the circumstance are going to get into trouble I think and I would think anyone shooting is not going to report and take the chance more times than none.
But that is my own thoughts.

"I have no idea how many grizzly bears are shot. Maybe you and nube can enlighten me with some factual numbers rather then speculation that more are shot then 8."
Try google search. Its easy to find out. I throw some numbers at you for a couple years already. If you really think that they even find or even catch a high percentage of the bears shot then yes I think you are not that smart and need to shake your head.

"Maybe since you guys are all wise about whose doing it you can give me some numbers about landowners vs trappers vs hikers vs hunters vs retards ( as nube puts it). There is no actual numbers is there? So you guys living in the city know all about what is going on in the rural areas when it comes to grizz bears?"

You want us to give you numbers of what guys are poaching lol Of course there are no numbers. And yes sometimes city slickers know a thing or 2 of what is going on in certain parts of the province.
I have no clue for the north part and can't comment on that but I do know a few in the southern half. Maybe your circle of people you know needs to grow to find out a little info in this province? I feel like with the few chats i have had that there is more going on than you think and there are quite a few that are in the know that it is going on.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:42 PM

There are 3 or so that "go missing" around here yearly, so I'd guess there would be a few I haven't heard about as well. F&W know about some of them too, they just go see when the gps tracker hasn't moved for a couple days.

The fella that got the ones in Rio Gr shot one in/close to the yard, then went and hunted the other 2 and got them and another one got away. His fine was minimal like 5500 ( a joke) but don't recall exact.

I have had 2-5 bears around in the fall the last 3-4 years, they don't bother me, I don't have an oat crop or dead animals dumped (usually!) but sure make me more alert.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Norwest I gave up on you a while ago but I figure I will answer a few questions if you care.

"I don't know if the landowners are sick of the grizzlies or sick of having their hands tied when it comes time to have to deal with them."
Both I think. Any rancher caught shooting them no matter the circumstance are going to get into trouble I think and I would think anyone shooting is not going to report and take the chance more times than none.
But that is my own thoughts.

"I have no idea how many grizzly bears are shot. Maybe you and nube can enlighten me with some factual numbers rather then speculation that more are shot then 8."
Try google search. Its easy to find out. I throw some numbers at you for a couple years already. If you really think that they even find or even catch a high percentage of the bears shot then yes I think you are not that smart and need to shake your head.

"Maybe since you guys are all wise about whose doing it you can give me some numbers about landowners vs trappers vs hikers vs hunters vs retards ( as nube puts it). There is no actual numbers is there? So you guys living in the city know all about what is going on in the rural areas when it comes to grizz bears?"

You want us to give you numbers of what guys are poaching lol Of course there are no numbers. And yes sometimes city slickers know a thing or 2 of what is going on in certain parts of the province.
I have no clue for the north part and can't comment on that but I do know a few in the southern half. Maybe your circle of people you know needs to grow to find out a little info in this province? I feel like with the few chats i have had that there is more going on than you think and there are quite a few that are in the know that it is going on.
I have no idea nor would I speculate on how many bears are shot. Weather these shootings are justified or someone shooting them because they present themselves as a nice target. I'm smart enough to figure out that farmers/ ranchers are not the only ones shooting them and I would find it hard to believe that they are illegaly killing grizzly bears anymore then anyone else. There is no proof so it is purely speculation. Pretty much the same as I can speculate that a lot of firefighters are involved in pride parades. They are both pretty dumb statements but I would be willing to bet that there are more firefighters in the pride parades then there are ranchers killing bears.

It might surprise you but I figure I've got broad circle of friends.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 PM

lol really eh lol
I give up....
Old 06-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol really eh lol
I give up....
That's the word in the cow pasture. Would you care to make a bet on whose speculation is more accurate?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you would agree with anything I had to say. I actually get a kick that you have to post every time I do as well. You must have had your feelings hurt one time or another..
Sure haven't heard you tell us who you were on here before? I'm sure if you told us it would explain a lot lol
Just because someone doesn't agree with you..you spin it into stupidity. I think we can all agree there are too many grizz for the sustainable spaces they roam. That's kind of what this thread was about. Why do you turn everything into a "look at me, I'm great, you don't know anything, I know everything and if you don't agree with me you must be on a personal attack ".

Not the case.

You are probably the most insecure person on this Forum.

Get kicked off..don't care, that's my opinion and you seem to be able to insult and belittle other members at your leisure. Not sure why but I guess again you're just SPECIAL.

Have a nice rainbow day!!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:24 PM

How does a thread on Grizzly bears get to a topic of gay fire-fighters?
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
How does a thread on Grizzly bears get to a topic of gay fire-fighters?
LOL..Got to be a first Bob. I guess you'd have to ask Nube.