Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 PM

Default Logix ICF basements!?

Just curious if anyone has used this in their home build for their basement? What's the pro and cons? I heard some concern about off gassing? Does this actually happen to a point of concern? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM

Not sure but would defiantly do it if I build a new house. Co-worker did an ICF house sunk into a hillside. So entrance at top and stairs down to the sunken level. Think of it as a walkout rancher with stairs up to entrance. He did Geo-Thermal as well but regretted the extra expense since the ICF walls were so efficient, it was a waste of money. He figured it would take 50 years for the Geo to pay for itself.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Not sure but would defiantly do it if I build a new house. Co-worker did an ICF house sunk into a hillside. So entrance at top and stairs down to the sunken level. Think of it as a walkout rancher with stairs up to entrance. He did Geo-Thermal as well but regretted the extra expense since the ICF walls were so efficient, it was a waste of money. He figured it would take 50 years for the Geo to pay for itself.

Right on and how does your friend find his basement floor to be cold or warm? I plan to build exactly that a walk out rancher. I was thinking of doing in floor heating but hearing it might not be needed as the floors don't get cold with this ICF forming like the traditional concrete foundation causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 AM

I've pour dozens f Icf basements. Probably the warmest basement out there. But in floor heat is a must. Without the floor will be cool. I built a 1500 sq ft spec house. The basement is ICF. Has infloor heat. I was living in the basement. Set the thermostat at 70 F. Was enough heat to keep upstairs around 65F without having the main furnace kick in. Largest gas bill in winter was $95.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:16 AM

Question is not why but why not. The benefits are substantial compared to nearly no con's. Wife is a dealer through her work. I've been through the plant in Acheson. Extremely impressed with the engineering and quality.

As said in floor is almost a must.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:22 AM

I've done 2 Logix basements for myself. Easy to work and super warm. 2 thumbs up for this system.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 PM

ICF are awesome. I've used Amvic, Fox Blocks, Logix and Arxx. I prefer them in that order. LOGIX used to be the industry standard but the last couple jobs we've done with them the quality of the blocks isn't what it used to be. They all have something that they claim is better than the competition. Thicker styro, stronger webs, reversible... It's all about what the installer prefers because once it gets filled with concrete it doesn't matter the brand because they all perform the same.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 PM

If doing an ICF foundation, I highly recommend checking out the mono pour system and having Helix added to your concrete. Mono pour does your footings and walls at once! And Helix eliminates the need for most of the rebar....which is labour intensive. Checkout Nudura's website or fab-form.com for details. No affiliation but have seen this used in person and it's slick! Agree infloor hear for the basement is a must amd really isn't that much more expensive to run in the rest of the house.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 PM

I prefer Fox Blocks to Logix. Arx is no more I think.
Logix go in way faster than Fox but not as strong and more prone to blow outs.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 PM

I put in floor heat for a living, and I say if you're planning on carpeting the basement, you can skip the floor heat (With an ICF foundation).
But if you do skip it, you're not going to hammer up the floor to put it in after.
So, most people who are considering putting it in put it in.
And the ones who carpet their basement never hook it up, and the ones who don't carpet do hook it up.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 PM

Hey Dewey. Just out of curiosity, why no in floor heating with carpet? I have icf walls, carpet and in-floor. It makes the basement toasty. Wife hates the carpet though. What would you recommend for floor covering?
Old 06-29-2017, 12:26 AM

Put some tile down on those heated floors.
Now that's living.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 AM

Default Wow

Thanks everyone for the great advise! this was more that i could have imagined and has me really excited about going with ICF. I am planning on doing it myself so its good to hear that it is easy to work with.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herc883 View Post
ICF are awesome. I've used Amvic, Fox Blocks, Logix and Arxx. I prefer them in that order. LOGIX used to be the industry standard but the last couple jobs we've done with them the quality of the blocks isn't what it used to be. They all have something that they claim is better than the competition. Thicker styro, stronger webs, reversible... It's all about what the installer prefers because once it gets filled with concrete it doesn't matter the brand because they all perform the same.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Can you tell me what you like more about Amvic and fox blocks?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
I prefer Fox Blocks to Logix. Arx is no more I think.
Logix go in way faster than Fox but not as strong and more prone to blow outs.
Thanks for your information. im going to look into fox blocks.