Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Trout Lake near Nakusp?

Anybody ever been out to this lake. my camping plans changed and we're heading out there now... Will have a little 12' with a 6 horse i would imagine trollilng that lake would be best??? Any secrets? I would like to bring my fly gear too though so any tips either way would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Ken
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM

Never been to Trout Lake but used to go to Summit Lake every May long. Great trout fishery for spinning, trolling, or fly-fishing. At least it used to be.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 PM

Ken, my bro has a cabin at Trout Lake, I 've fished it a few times with him, the lake is abut 23 k long and over 300 feet deep...there are some Gerrards in there and the odd laker I think, we trolled 40 to 50 feet offshore, seem to be a lot of activity on the finder but action is intermittent. For the flyrod you may need to hit the Lardo river but be sure to check the regs. Pretty cool little village, make sure you hit the Windsor for a pint and take the time to read up on the history of the area and go off road a bit as the glacier and mountains are awesome...but don't be surprise to find a few "farmers" way up in the hills...sk
Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM

Smile

I've been to Trout Lake many times. My folks used to like to meet us there and we'd fish the lake. I can tell you that what Skain11 says is true. There seems to be lots of fish on the depth finder. But for some reason we never really caught to much. I would fly fish and my dad was a gear fisher. My dad would use his big boat with 140hp Suzuki, downriggers and the whole gammet. I would use my inflateable with a 9.9. We would both bust each others balls about one or the other not catching fish. From all the visits we made there, and it was quite a few, I can count how many fish we caught on one hand.

Another thing to remember is what Skain11 also said about the distance of the lake. It's 23kms long and the storms that come up there are legendary. I've been half way down the lake fishing and had to pack up and fly back at full throttle just to make it back before the storm blew down the lake. The weather can change from a beautiful sunny day to a thunder storm with 60km winds in just a few minutes. It's one of the scarriest lakes I've been on for that sort of changing weather. Kimbasket and Kootenay are a couple of other lakes that are the same way.

I would concider going to Summit lake long before going to Trout Lake. Summit has a good trout population and they are scrappy fish. I'd choose Summit over Trout Lake any day of the week.

Rob