Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 01:50 PM
Banned

Default Japans Covid Results

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has announced the end of his state of emergency declaration for the novel coronavirus pandemic, with just 851 deaths reported and without ever implementing a lockdown.

"I have decided to end the state of emergency across the nation," Abe said during a televised press conference on Monday.

https://www.newsweek.com/japan-ends-...bMlAttah8FBPAE
Old 05-28-2020, 02:08 PM

Wow good for them.
Now what in the world is going on here. Must be lies.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Wouldn't read too much into it...

I wouldn't compare their situation with our situation. Have been to Japan several times over the years.

Although the large cities are pretty densely populated, they're obsessed with cleanliness. Masks and gloves are the norm over there...
Old 05-28-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Wow good for them.
Now what in the world is going on here. Must be lies.
Very insular people, used to following directions. No immigration either.

Grizz
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I wouldn't compare their situation with our situation. Have been to Japan several times over the years.

Although the large cities are pretty densely populated, they're obsessed with cleanliness. Masks and gloves are the norm over there...
Exactly, it's apples to oranges. I'm not saying masks & gloves would have made all the difference in the world or not, but that's just the way they roll all the time.

Good for them either way, it's nice to see some good news to spark optimism!
Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 PM

I lived in Tokyo for 3 years in the mid 90's. Masks and gloves worn by unwell people were the norm (people there didn't really take sick days like many do here). Work is valued above most everything. I used to think it was kind of funny to see people in masks going about their days, but quickly realized the merits of those practices.

Also, as already mentioned, these practices were accepted and followed by society as a whole - big difference from the divergent perspectives/attitudes on this front in North America...
Old 05-29-2020, 06:00 AM

Amazing what happens when your country is essentially a large extended family. We've been duped so hard here in the west it's sad.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:47 AM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Amazing what happens when your country is essentially a large extended family. We've been duped so hard here in the west it's sad.
Would be careful about pumping Japan as "better" - Having lived in Korea for a couple years and, as mentioned, have been to Japan a few times...

There's a lot to admire (generalizing here):
- Disciplined people
- Cities are orderly and shockingly clean (compared to North America)
- Violent crime is comparatively rare

However, on the flip side:
- They're old. One of the oldest average populations in the world and getting older every year - getting to be a big problem for labour, health services, tax base etc.
- Quite conformist - this may or may not be to your taste...
- Some of the most restrictive gun laws in the world. Try getting a rifle or handgun in Japan - good luck...

I'm sure others can add more or challenge some of this...
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I lived in Tokyo for 3 years in the mid 90's. Masks and gloves worn by unwell people were the norm (people there didn't really take sick days like many do here). Work is valued above most everything. I used to think it was kind of funny to see people in masks going about their days, but quickly realized the merits of those practices.

Also, as already mentioned, these practices were accepted and followed by society as a whole - big difference from the divergent perspectives/attitudes on this front in North America...
Works for them, but I don't think many of us would want to live that way, one of the advantages of our society, that we value. Not all of us agree wholeheartedly with Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Grizz
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Very insular people, used to following directions. No immigration either.

Grizz

There population are very particular and very clean.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 05-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Banned

Wow, good for Japan.

I don't think we can count stupidity and "too cool to wear a mask" childish attitudes as values of our society tho.... They are just stupidity and childish attitudes.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:03 PM

There are several reasons for Japan's success besides not "being too cool to wear a face mask".

Japan is very remote and made up of a series of islands, which like the successes in New Zealand and Australia, have made it much easier to isolate the country.

Japan is historically a very closed society with very few foreign nationals, around 1.75% of the total population. Entry and immigration policies are also very different, as are refugee and asylum programs. Japan is very generous in helping refugee programs overseas, but does not accept many. Unlike Canada/Germany who approve 40% of asylum seeker applications, Japan approves around 0.2%.

People in Japan have been wearing "Germ Masks" for decades. Part of it due to hygiene/sanitary reasons, but also due to population density. Japan's population density is 336 people per square km, Canada 4.

Japan also enacted measures quickly with a state of emergency declared in early Feb. Many other measures were put forward very quickly. A few are listed below.

-Containment. By the end of January beginning of Feb, repatriation flights from Hubei,denied entry from foreigners who had visited Hubei, began to quarantine cruise ships and deny passenger entry.
-Reinforced medical services. Beginning of Feb, began establishing COVID testing and outpatient wards, started contact tracing by the end of Feb.
-Education programs like 3C (Avoid Closed spaces, Crowded places, Close-contact setting). Extreme caution when coming in contact with elderly. Work from home
-Schools cancelled last week of Feb
Old 05-29-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Works for them, but I don't think many of us would want to live that way, one of the advantages of our society, that we value. Not all of us agree wholeheartedly with Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Grizz
Yep, my reply was purely based on the hygiene front. I don't know that I could make Japan my permanent home.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Yep, my reply was purely based on the hygiene front. I don't know that I could make Japan my permanent home.
Yeah, I’m not sure how some here extrapolate wearing masks and following good hygiene into becoming a nation of sheep who don’t value personal freedom .