Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 AM

Default Out and about scouting trip

Thursday I had enough of work and all "fun" it can bring and traveled West out of Calgary. The point was to explore some more potential areas on the Bow. Started off a Cochrane and then went along 1a. My question is, how is fishing between Cochrane and Exshaw (big area I know)? I've never fished anywhere on the Bow other than South of Calgary, which is great!, but I would like a change of scenery. Just wondering what I might find fishwise in these sections. I'm not expecting bigger fish than the Blue ribbon section I normally like. Any info is appreciated.

Ended up all the way of Exshaw and enjoyed the drive there along 1A. I was turning around to go back and stop at some of the spots on the Bow I saw on the way when I see a small, nice pond a fly fisher along with a lot of jumping fish. Turn around, go back and pull in. It is Grotto pond. Went up to the fly fisher and chatted with him for a bit. The fish looked small but there was a hatch on and it was obvious what they were jumping for. Like a guilty pleasure, I just couldn't stop myself. 10 minutes later I was in my wader and out in the pond. First cast, fish on! They are all stockers so nothing to get too excited about. About 35 or so in a hour and half later, I left the great visual setting and was not unhappy about making the pit stop.

Next week, hopefully more upper Bow and Lower K lake for sure. You Calgarians sure live in a nice area of the province.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:38 AM

Cochrane to ghost dam is not so good. The water level fluctates way to much. I am sure I have never caught anything here and have ben stuck and had to climb out of the valley by the gas plant and had to walk on the road back to the dam as the water level came up really quick. A guy at work fishes below seebe and does pretty good.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:44 AM

The stretch just before Canmore were nice to me this year =)
Old 04-30-2016, 05:23 PM

Careful not to fish within the reserve!

-Confucius
Old 05-01-2016, 06:12 AM

Thanks all. Some great info on here and it is appreciated.

Uber, thanks for the tip. I didn't know how big Stoney was until looking just now. That rules out a lot of area...too bad because there was a lot of fast looking good water in this area.

Looks like Seebe and further West will be a better starting point. The river slows a lot there so it is not ideal but I'll give it a go. When below Bearspaw opens later, I think I'll give that a look as well.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:18 PM

You can always call the band office, and see if you can get permission to enter the reserve land, and fish in the river. I've heard of people not having issues with other reserves, although if its anything like playing hockey against them... it wont be easy!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:27 PM

I did this same jaunt a few weeks back lol. I'd contact the band and see if you can get permission. Some good looking water.

Also.....gap looked appealing but I didn't have time to set up the boat so I didn't fish it.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
I did this same jaunt a few weeks back lol. I'd contact the band and see if you can get permission. Some good looking water.

Also.....gap looked appealing but I didn't have time to set up the boat so I didn't fish it.
Heh, cool. I'm shore fishing only, no boat. Gap is probably not too easy without one. But you never know....
Old 05-04-2016, 11:44 PM

there's a spot at hwy 1x by the seebe dam on your way to grotto on 1a, where the kananaskis river meets the bow..... a few folks fishing there told me that there's browns and other trout caught there, ive never tried it personally, but id say its worth a shot. Also sorry about derailing the thread,but might I ask you what flies (hatches) have been working in the area recently, im thinking of getting some new flies to head out there this weekend for mother's day with family.
Cheers!
tell us how you do out there
Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Made it out to Lower K. I decided to go to the spillway between the 2 lakes. At least I got to see fish...by the spillway. I think those are suckers schooling there. Big suckers too, like me
No luck on any hits. I tried hiking around where there should be water running in from surface creeks but they were all high and dry. Still too early. Didn't matter on catching anything. First time for me at Lower K. The scenary made up for the lack of fish. Also it was 29 when I left Calgary and a pleasant 19-20 at the lake.

Went back out to the south Bow last night. Awesome weather. Nothing huge but did land 6 bows all around 14/15 inches. They were scrappers with multiple leaps and never stopped fighting. Some caught in fast water and some in slow. Fun!

Next week, gotta do some more exploring. I'm going to head back to Lower K but focus on areas with permanent creeks running in. Gotta try Wedge one night too. And, now i gotta try some of the suggestions made above, Thanks all! Maybe I should start with the river before it blows out...decisions and tough problems
Old 05-05-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
there's a spot at hwy 1x by the seebe dam on your way to grotto on 1a, where the kananaskis river meets the bow..... a few folks fishing there told me that there's browns and other trout caught there, ive never tried it personally, but id say its worth a shot. Also sorry about derailing the thread,but might I ask you what flies (hatches) have been working in the area recently, im thinking of getting some new flies to head out there this weekend for mother's day with family.
Cheers!
tell us how you do out there
There are 2 staples that are working, the mosquito for dry and pheasant tail nymph for wet. If you don't have either, fill a box with both. They are that consistent. Especially the mosquito. It mimics so many hatches...in so many places in AB. Get all sizes, grey and black bodies as well.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
There are 2 staples that are working, the mosquito for dry and pheasant tail nymph for wet. If you don't have either, fill a box with both. They are that consistent. Especially the mosquito. It mimics so many hatches...in so many places in AB. Get all sizes, grey and black bodies as well.
Thanks, I'll head to the shop one of these days and find some. Good luck with the upper bow, it's tough, but quite rewarding.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:17 PM

Made a return visit to Lower K. Tried by the lower campground but a bit hard and shallow. Think I'll stick to Upper K.

Tried Wedge on the way back and did see a few risers. No luck. I swear the wind was blowing from the center of the lake out. Tough to cast too.

Nice evening out.

This nice grizz crossed right in front of the car

Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM

Nice pictures! Griz bears scare the crap out of me.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix_84 View Post
Nice pictures! Griz bears scare the crap out of me.
Me too. Not so bad from the car though

P.S. Tons of scat piles all over K country. There must be a pretty good population.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:49 PM

Yeah they are a bit of a problem in the region for hiking camping. Bear spray is a must out that way!

Those spill way fish can be real tough, there are trout there too not just suckers. But they see a lot of presentations and are wary.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!