Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Default anyone shoot a 204 ruger american predator

I am thinking of getting a 204 ruger and like the price of a ruger american predator. Just curious if anyone has experience with one? I would probably be putting it in a boyds stock right away as I have read some reviews claiming stock flex accuracy issues, but all of those where in larger chamberings. I know I'd be happy with a tikkas accuracy but they are alot more $$

Thoughts?
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM

I’m not familiar with the American predator. I’ve got a T3 in 204R and am very happy with it. It might be more money up front but you know it’ll shoot well and you won’t have to fuss with it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanks aardvaark

If I decide against the ruger I was going to go tikka or CZ, I was thinking just the standard t3x lite not the varmint heavy barrel or anything.. Which one do you have?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 PM

By the time you change out your stock your pretty close price wise to the Tikka anyways...for what's worth all the guys I know who have ruger Americans are happy with the performance of them.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
Thanks aardvaark

If I decide against the ruger I was going to go tikka or CZ, I was thinking just the standard t3x lite not the varmint heavy barrel or anything.. Which one do you have?
I have the heavy barrel stainless
Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Shooting Xs

Stock flex from recoil shouldn't be an issue with a .204R.,mounting a Bi-pod up front you may notice some flex in the forearm, that can be fixed easily with a Carbon arrow shaft and epoxy.
If you intend to use it for a walking Coyote rifle get the lighter barrel ,if you're just going to shoot gophers in the patch I'd get a heavier contour.
Love my .204 for Gophers.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:29 PM

If you buy a .204 get the longest barrel you can 26" is best IMHO I bought a Ruger Target just because it had the longer barrel (there were no CZ's to be had at the time) If I wanted a walking rifle it would be the CZ if I am shooting off sticks in the gopher batch my Ruger works just fine BUT the mag is way to short for the 40gr. V-max bullet so it is a single shot. I also have a done up Remington but in all honesty it is only SLIGHTLY more accurate than my Ruger, out of the box.

The .204 is a great round but you will limit it by buying a short barrelled rifle and you will limit the bullet selection as well, most rifles will not stabilize the long Hornady 40gr. bullet, which has the best BC of the lot and is cheaper then most of the competitions bullets.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
If you buy a .204 get the longest barrel you can 26" is best IMHO I bought a Ruger Target just because it had the longer barrel (there were no CZ's to be had at the time) If I wanted a walking rifle it would be the CZ if I am shooting off sticks in the gopher batch my Ruger works just fine BUT the mag is way to short for the 40gr. V-max bullet so it is a single shot. I also have a done up Remington but in all honesty it is only SLIGHTLY more accurate than my Ruger, out of the box.

The .204 is a great round but you will limit it by buying a short barrelled rifle and you will limit the bullet selection as well, most rifles will not stabilize the long Hornady 40gr. bullet, which has the best BC of the lot and is cheaper then most of the competitions bullets.
Are you saying a longer barrel helps stabilize the longer bullets? What twist are you shooting? I was looking into one but had read the 40 gr. are hard to get to shoot?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-20-2018, 04:50 PM

Barrel length will only influence speed.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Shooting Xs

As far as I know all factory barrels are 12 twist ,some will stabilise 40 grainers ,some won't ,all will shoot up to 39 grain bullets.Both guns I've loaded for with 26 inch barrels shot the 40 gr. Vmax's well, but i opted for the 39 gr. Sierra BK's.
Longer barrels give a little more velocity ,maybe the extra speed helps stabilise 40 grainers. I have met guys with 22 inch barrel rifles that shot 40gr. factory loads just fine,so I don't know.
I suspect there may be slight twist variations with button pulled barrels that make the difference.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Are you saying a longer barrel helps stabilize the longer bullets? What twist are you shooting? I was looking into one but had read the 40 gr. are hard to get to shoot?
I really can't answer that question, both my rifles have longer barrels the Ruger is 1/12" twist, 26" barrel. The Remington is a bit quicker twist but about an 1" shorter barrel. The barrel length does in MHO add to the velocity which in turn seems to help stabilize the longer bullet. I never even thought about twist rate when I bought the Ruger I just wanted to milk every last bit of velocity out of the round that I could. I think the round needs a 24" barrel minimum.

I am using TAC powder if that makes any difference? meters like water and I did find primers made a big difference in accuracy.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:43 AM

It’s not the same caliber but I had a Ruger American predator in .223 and it was a fun little rifle. Pretty accurate out of the box I didn’t bother trying to modify the stock, I really liked the contour of the barrel and everything else for that matter.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Shooting Xs

If you google the RAP rifle you'll see our friends down south seem to like it in most calibers.
Ruger wanted to be the first to market a Varmint round at 4200 fps. or better.
The first .20 cal. Vmax's at 33 gr. with an 11 twist ,didn't get there. They went to 32 gr. with a 12 twist and made over 4200 fps.Every body else followed suit, now were stuck with it.
I think some barrels end up,let's say, at 11.75 twist and some might be at 12.25 twist as an example. So ,a 12 and a bit faster works ,slower than 12 maybe not for 40 grainers.
It is not unusual for barrels made with the button pull method to vary slightly in twist rates,which isn't a problem most times ,but may be a factor in this particular case.
Just thinking out loud here...
Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM

I prefer the 39gr Blitzking, and it stabilizes well in 1 in 12" barrels.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:14 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I prefer the 39gr Blitzking, and it stabilizes well in 1 in 12" barrels.
My preference also,IMR8208XBR powder ,Win. brass ,BR-4 primers or 400's,3860 FPS and accurate out of a 26 inch barrel ,8x fired brass still has tight pockets.
39 SBK's aren't as thin jacketed as Vmax's ,but still blow'ds em up real good...lol.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
My preference also,IMR8208XBR powder ,Win. brass ,BR-4 primers or 400's,3860 FPS and accurate out of a 26 inch barrel ,8x fired brass still has tight pockets.
39 SBK's aren't as thin jacketed as Vmax's ,but still blow'ds em up real good...lol.
"39 SBK's aren't as thin jacketed as Vmax's ,but still blow'ds em up real good...lol"

Question on this, what is the worst pelt damage anyone has encountered with this round?

Thinking for the future where we do a bait sit that may put us sub 100yds, and the 22-250 can be damaging on hits that are less than ideal
Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
"39 SBK's aren't as thin jacketed as Vmax's ,but still blow'ds em up real good...lol"

Question on this, what is the worst pelt damage anyone has encountered with this round?

Thinking for the future where we do a bait sit that may put us sub 100yds, and the 22-250 can be damaging on hits that are less than ideal
If you hit a shoulder or the brisket, the 39gr Blitzkng can make an awful mess. I it one running coyote in the brisket at 50 feet, and it blew a large section out of the brisket. Another one shot at the same set up, had the bullet strike the offside shoulder, and it made a large exit wound.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post

I've heard the Speer .20 cal. 39gr. TNT is pelt friendly as long as you keep the velocity down a bit,entrance no exits.