Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Tyler is not Lloyd's son. Pete McMahon, who was Lloyd's brother, was Tyler's dad. Pete was a really good guy, hard to believe they were bothers.
My mistake, I am aware that Pete had a great reputation, as you posted, it's hard to believe they were brothers.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Oh what a brain dead move this one is !!! lol
In light of all the fighting over allocations lately you’d think they would ensure keeping a squeaky clean image moving forward would be paramount as they try hard to keep their industry viable. Lord only knows how they would let this happen.
Simply put: APOS doesn’t care. I spoke to the managing director myself. She knew all about his past and his reputation. According to her there is nothing within the societys bylaws that prevent him from running. He is a “member in good standing” and has “every right” to run for whatever position he would like.

I mentioned exactly the same thing to her that Torkdiesel said above. She seemed surprised to hear that anyone would have a negative opinion of APOS right now. (Whether that’s her head in the sand or she’s a bald faced liar is anyone’s guess).

Lloyd has some pretty deep pockets. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were a few bucks being spread around to make some things go away 🤬🤬

The million dollar question is: now what? APOS seems hell bent on destroying the industry in Alberta. They certainly don’t care about Residents at all (there was some VERY interesting conversations recorded at the AGM this weekend on this topic. Hopefully they find their way to the public sooner than later)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I guess you never heard the story of him shooting big bucks out of an airplane that shot the prop off and crashed in the late 70s then yeah he's killed lots of big bucks .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
wow can't say I've ever heard of this fella also I can't imagine any deer being worth that kind of effort really from an airplane
Old 12-10-2018, 04:55 PM

I bet CBC would run with this story.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I bet CBC would run with this story.

And what the frik would that prove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
And what the frik would that prove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shine a light on corruption.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBalls View Post
Simply put: APOS doesn’t care. I spoke to the managing director myself. She knew all about his past and his reputation. According to her there is nothing within the societys bylaws that prevent him from running. He is a “member in good standing” and has “every right” to run for whatever position he would like.

I mentioned exactly the same thing to her that Torkdiesel said above. She seemed surprised to hear that anyone would have a negative opinion of APOS right now. (Whether that’s her head in the sand or she’s a bald faced liar is anyone’s guess).

Lloyd has some pretty deep pockets. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were a few bucks being spread around to make some things go away 🤬🤬

The million dollar question is: now what? APOS seems hell bent on destroying the industry in Alberta. They certainly don’t care about Residents at all (there was some VERY interesting conversations recorded at the AGM this weekend on this topic. Hopefully they find their way to the public sooner than later)
APOS has been corrupt so long, that they may not even recognize corruption anymore. If they don't have a bylaw that prevents convicted poachers/criminals from running for executive positions, they should have.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Gone Hunting

There is alot of misinformation being spread here. This speaks volumes toward the caliber of an individual..

To be curious is human nature, but its vitally important that reality be sought and chosen over the erroneous and irresponsible.
Much the same as everyone else that is concerned with our future access to our publicly owned resources in the uncertain times, I am as well forced to think realistically and critically.
The fact is, (and thankfully here), there are many people that represent a large number of our Ab. Stakeholder groups. Some are new to all of our way of life, some are not. And yet for the most part, many clutch onto belief that ALL have a common goal in mind.
As per reading here, I am forced to wonder just how long (decades in this instance), one be forced "penance paid" before life is allowed to move on?
Would it be outrageous to believe that some of our battle hardened veterans (that have now proven through time that they can walk the straight and narrow),,, ALSO desire to see a continuation of all things related to REAL conservation?
And what if they were capable of being very possibly, realistic and unwaivering advocacy?
What if such were the case and reality here?
Our outdoor related hobbies, lives and industries are something NONE of us take lightly, and are something WE ALL believe worth fighting to at MINIMUM preserve.
We require EVERYONE on board that desires both promotion and betterment of what we currently maintain and have, (including where and when available even the ones that may have at one time or another, "been around the block").
Would it be a wild assumption "in todays world", that denying ourselves those with potentially very much to offer, we run the risk of "running aground"?
Its natural to concern but facts should never be overlooked.
We have many allies in all aspects of our heritage and culture, and while its certainly okay that people desiring to take up our front lines be questioned on motive, its definitely not okay to hold peoples heads underwater.
Popular opinion here or not, be cautious about looking potential gift horses in the mouth.
The time may come when we wished we maybe had some of those old battle hardened ponies around.
Just my two cents regarding.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Shine a light on corruption.
What corruption is that ?

I know Lloyd did some questionable things in the past and while I’m certainly not defending any of the poaching convictions I’m not sure I would chalk this up to corruption. A poor decision on APOS’s members without a doubt, but an old man running as a director is hardly grounds to allege corruption in the ranks.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:

I know Lloyd did some questionable things in the past and while I’m certainly not defending any of the poaching convictions I’m not sure I would chalk this up to corruption. A poor decision on APOS’s members without a doubt, but an old man running as a director is hardly grounds to allege corruption in the ranks.
Sure sounds like you are defending him. And yes it is corruption, can you imagine the uproar on this board if a Liberal with a past like his was elevated to a prominent position. Interesting that it is outfitters defending him.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
There is alot of misinformation being spread here. This speaks volumes toward the caliber of an individual..

To be curious is human nature, but its vitally important that reality be sought and chosen over the erroneous and irresponsible.
Much the same as everyone else that is concerned with our future access to our publicly owned resources in the uncertain times, I am as well forced to think realistically and critically.
The fact is, (and thankfully here), there are many people that represent a large number of our Ab. Stakeholder groups. Some are new to all of our way of life, some are not. And yet for the most part, many clutch onto belief that ALL have a common goal in mind.
As per reading here, I am forced to wonder just how long (decades in this instance), one be forced "penance paid" before life is allowed to move on?
Would it be outrageous to believe that some of our battle hardened veterans (that have now proven through time that they can walk the straight and narrow),,, ALSO desire to see a continuation of all things related to REAL conservation?
And what if they were capable of being very possibly, realistic and unwaivering advocacy?
What if such were the case and reality here?
Our outdoor related hobbies, lives and industries are something NONE of us take lightly, and are something WE ALL believe worth fighting to at MINIMUM preserve.
We require EVERYONE on board that desires both promotion and betterment of what we currently maintain and have, (including where and when available even the ones that may have at one time or another, "been around the block").
Would it be a wild assumption "in todays world", that denying ourselves those with potentially very much to offer, we run the risk of "running aground"?
Its natural to concern but facts should never be overlooked.
We have many allies in all aspects of our heritage and culture, and while its certainly okay that people desiring to take up our front lines be questioned on motive, its definitely not okay to hold peoples heads underwater.
Popular opinion here or not, be cautious about looking potential gift horses in the mouth.
The time may come when we wished we maybe had some of those old battle hardened ponies around.
Just my two cents regarding.
I guess you are a fan.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 05:43 PM

I (like a lot of us I’m sure) strongly suspect there is a lot of stuff going on quietly behind closed doors within APOS. We’ve all heard the stories & rumours. If 1/10th of it is true there are some big problems...
Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Questionable? If he had one or two minor violations, that would be one thing, but he was found guilty of many Wildlife Act violations , as well as international violations , as well as criminal acts. He is probably the the most convicted poacher in Alberta, and given the seriousness of his convictions, what reason do we have to believe that he could possibly have changed his ways? Electing him to this position, would be like hiring a convicted pedophile to care for your children. It's possible that he might be reformed, but based on his past record, would you take that chance?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Questionable? If he had one or two minor violations, that would be one thing, but he was found guilty of many Wildlife Act violations , as well as international violations , as well as criminal acts. He is probably the the most convicted poacher in Alberta, and given the seriousness of his convictions, what reason do we have to believe that he could possibly have changed his ways? Electing him to this position, would be like hiring a convicted pediphile to care for your children. It's possible that he might be reformed, but would you take that chance?
Nailed it
Old 12-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Changed his ways! Hahahahahaha...hilarious
Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I guess you are a fan.
What i think isnt on display.
Just be careful. If we are forming lynch mobs, theres a whole whack of people that could be deemed worthy of meeting a rope in this province's outdoor "culture", that curiously have went on to do some great things.

If men are spineless and,,,

Take their licks and run away to hide, thats fine,,,

Just be cautious about denying a nod to those that pick up, dust off and get it going again.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
What i think isnt on display.
Just be careful. If we are forming lynch mobs, theres a whole whack of people that could be deemed worthy of meeting a rope in this province's outdoor "culture", that curiously have went on to do some great things.

If men are spineless and,,,

Take their licks and run away to hide, thats fine,,,

Just be cautious about denying a nod to those that pick up, dust off and get it going again.
How many of those people that did those great things, had as many convictions as McMahon? How many had half as many convictions? A quarter as many?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How many of those people that did those great things, had as many convictions as McMahon? How many had half as many convictions? A quarter as many?
When its been established that, proper channels of the law that dealt with the situation, did so non sufficiently or perhaps inappropriately,,,
Then one would suppose your "comments" to be at such time, valid.
Until then, its fairly likely that you are out of line.

I fail to see where your questioning should arise, regarding concerns about "whats fair, and whats not".
We as every day men certainly live in a "just world". Sometimes exceedingly so...
You should try to understand and come to terms with that.
Dont be the whip man that results in that needless excess...

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 12-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
When its been established that, proper channels of the law that dealt with the situation, did so non sufficiently or perhaps inappropriately,,,
Then one would suppose your "comments" to be at such time, valid.
Until then, its fairly likely that you are out of line.

I fail to see where you questioning should arise regarding concerns about "whats fair, and whats not".
We as every day men certainly live in a "just world"...
Youd maybe best come to terms with that...
McMahon was given a second chance, a third chance , a fourth chance, a fifth chance, and then some, why do you think he should be entitled to more chances? How is denying
him even more chances not fair, or not just? At what point has he been given enough chances?
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM

APOS

Alberta Poachers On Sale.

Grizz
Old 12-10-2018, 06:27 PM

The whole place is a JOKE!!!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 PM

I’m happy to hear Lloyd got on.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Won't make a difference in the day to day operations of APOS, but he wouldn't be my first choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Poor old Lloyd, lay off him, he’s a changed man.

And all is well at the POS.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 PM

After reading what this guy has done, my only question is this.

What should the members of APOS be more embarrassed of?

That they just elected a convicted poacher to their board, or that they just elected a complete idiot to their board?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM

My guess is that Lloyd was recruited to head the APOS Ethics and Standards Committee.

That would be a good thing, hey Pack?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 PM

The character of McMahon, changed or not, and that of any other APoS board member, is not the heart of the matter. A professional hunting outfitting organization should be led and represented by those with untarnished professional records. Convictions for illegal acts while hunting and outfitting should render any board member unable to attain or hold their position. No grey area, no options, no expiration date. If APoS was intent on reforming itself and doing its utmost to protect the integrity of professional hunting, such a bylaw would be in place, as well as a process to sanction violators and render them ineligible to hold a licence. The fact that it isn’t says all that needs to be said about the character of the organization as a whole. The good outfitters are tarred with that brush too. Ultimately, all hunters are also vulnerable to being shamed because of this.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 PM

Do other organizations have a code of conduct or a member review panel where membership can be revoked for transgressions? I know certain ones do but many do not.

LC
Old 12-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Do other organizations have a code of conduct or a member review panel where membership can be revoked for transgressions? I know certain ones do but many do not.

LC
Yes some do. But don’t quote me. I’m going off the poster above me.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I’m pretty sure AHEIA has the rule that if you’re convicted of wildlife violations you’re gone as an employee and probably as a volunteer too. That’s how it should be.