Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

Default Skibobs

Anyone ever try this sport? Or even heard of ski-biking down a mountain? Invented by Adolphus Brenter after WW2 to allow alpine skiers who returned from action with no legs to continue to enjoy the piste.

For a decade or so my wife (and others) have enjoyed Lake Louise and Sunshine Mtn. on our custom built, fully suspended, purpose-made ski bikes. We have moved to the bald prairie so have given them up but I am curious to know if you've seen them or tried a rental at Sunshine.

Free
Old 12-17-2018, 02:12 PM

I haven't tried it personally, however, one of the guys I work with has bad knees and was an avid skier but could not keep up any more. He started using the ski bike a couple years ago, he just bought a new one this year. He loves it, he is so glad to be back out on the mountain.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Anyone ever try this sport? Or even heard of ski-biking down a mountain? Invented by Adolphus Brenter after WW2 to allow alpine skiers who returned from action with no legs to continue to enjoy the piste.

For a decade or so my wife (and others) have enjoyed Lake Louise and Sunshine Mtn. on our custom built, fully suspended, purpose-made ski bikes. We have moved to the bald prairie so have given them up but I am curious to know if you've seen them or tried a rental at Sunshine.

Free
A ski bike sounds like a fun way to go down a mountain.

You don't have to give the ski bike up on the prairies. You just have to install a big sail on your bike. Like an ice boat but more lightweight.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets