Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Default NFLD Help

I will be in NFLD this summer around the middle of August and want to try my hand at some fresh water fishing. I will be in the Carbonear area and can take both spin tackle as well as lighter flyfishing gear. Can anyone give me some advise re; set ups, lures etc so I can go prepared?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

That all depends what you'll be fishing for. The regs are quite confusing. I believe that if fishing for salmon on a registered river you need to be fishing with a guide or immediate family member. As far as flies go, it depends on the river. Where I used to fish, we used to use green w/ brown or black and white. Ask the locals, they'll know best. As for brookies, anything will work. I've had a lot of luck on elk hair caddis, muddler minnows, and red ant patterns. They will bite anything. When I was about 7, I tied a fly pattern that resembled a cross between a bat and Mothra from godzilla and I managed to catch fish on it.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM

try fishing for "sea trout" most of the river mouths have brown trout that go in and out of the ocean, they are fun to fish, challenging and can reach 10 pounds....also if you eat them , are wonderful.

for basic trout fishing in freshwater streams and lakes go for brook trout.
salmon licencing is tricky..complicated, never did any.

I lived in St johns, always caught loads of browns in the town on the fly....some sea run browns at the river mouths.
fly fish there, great fun!!
Jenn
Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

try forest pond near salmon cove.(10 minutes from carbonear) lots of browns and brookies there. some stay there year round and some are sea run. the sea run trout are the best eating and can get quite large. good access from the salmon cove end or along the highway side between salmon cove and victoria bc(behind carbonear lol). good luck. warbler with a single hook and night crawler works awesome.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM

This is from the regs

Fishing (Salmon or Trout Angling)

On the Island and south of 52° N in Labrador, non-residents wishing to angle for trout or salmon on any scheduled river or angle for trout beyond 800 meters of a provincial highway are required to use a guide or be accompanied by a direct relative.

Also here in NFLD Brook Trout are known as Mud Trout , you'll probably get a few ***** looks if your calling them Brookies. LOL You won't need nothing fancy here to catch anything, plain old bait spinner for a buck will work.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all that replied. When I was there before I was told that there are no regs for freshwater fishing but it looks like there may be. I will look online for them.

C
Old 01-05-2009, 02:30 PM

Whatever you do dont confuse NFLD with the rest of fishing in Canada, Your going to need the dumbest bait available, Even try soaking your bait in alchol Its not uncommon for the game fish to aquire a taste for booze after so much is spilled and urinated in the water. This will surely trigger a feeding frenzey All kidding aside I here the mud trout fishing down there is very good.
I sure Im going to get flamed for this post
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

And you should be!