Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Rod & Reel Combo

Hey guys. This weekend was a great surprise to me. My kids bought me an early Father’s Day gift. They matched up a GLoomis E6X Walleye Jigging Rod 6’6 2piece with a Shimano Sustain 3000 reel . My one boy suggested maybe going to a one piece if I wanted. Do you guys think a 2 piece rod is as good as a one piece?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Yes
Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 AM

I’ve owned a couple one piece rods and I managed to make them all two piece rods. They’re harder to transport.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 AM

I would say the difference is negligible. 1000 dollar fly rods are four piece for a 9 footer, and fly fishermen don't complain. One piece rods and I have a few, are really hard to transport.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 AM

I like 1 piece rods but my rods are mostly in a rod locker in a boat so transporting them isn't an issue. If you are regularly taking them in your vehicle than a 2 piece is probably a better choice. I moved from 2 piece rods to 1 piece over the past few years. You never have to worry about eye alignment or stuck/loose ferrules.

I have a couple 2 piece rods that I use when I go way up north and my 8 and 9foot trolling rods are 2 piece.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

Like Sam said, I use my one piece rods for my boat, and transport them in the rod locker on my boat but for an all round rod the 2 piece rods are best. I have the exact same set up as you only this year I swapped out the Sustain with a Diawa Certate, and it's a great combo.

My favorite walleye jigging setup is an older model one piece Shimano Crucial rod with a Stella FE
Old 05-28-2018, 11:21 AM

Simply put they are not as good and that is why almost every high end rod is 1 piece. 1 piece rods have smoother action, greater sensitivity, eyelets are always inline and they are also stronger(in a way not really though since I believe most 2 piece rods are made stronger to account for being a 2 piece rod which is also what dulls the action/sensitivity).

That said even though the difference may be noticeable(go grab the 2 models side by side and compare them, you will likely notice some differences in how they feel). It likely isn't a huge difference and you would catch lots of fish with either rod. If you want the best rod I would go with a 1 piece but then again I would also considering spending the extra money for a GLX or NRX because you are going to notice a much more significant difference in that change then just switching to 1 piece.

The only downside to 1 piece rods is being able to transport and store them which of course depends on your personal situation. For me it isn't an issue, I use an SUV and the rods fit easily inside, I don't even bother to break down my multiple piece rods for that reason. If you think a 1 piece rod would be a hassle for your situation then go with the 2 piece.

The main thing to know about 1 piece vs 2 piece and high end rods in general is that you don't need them. It is like drinking a fine wine, if you have the palate you will notice the difference and enjoy it but most people are more then happy without.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM

I find 2 PC just as good as one.

Just get a quality 2 PC rod and you will never question your decision.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:27 PM

While I’m not a huge angler I’ve always used 2 piece except for my fly rod which was a 3 or 4(can’t remember). Anyways I find it’s easier to transport and even at 2 pieces I end up narrowly avoiding shortening it...
Old 05-28-2018, 10:20 PM

There are pros and cons to both. I prefer fishing a 1 piece but just like everyone above, it never really leaves my boat. If you would need to frequently transport your rod outside your boat, for sure keep the 2 piece. If that rod is going to be in your boat 95% of the season, I would probably swap and get the 1 piece.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:59 AM

2 piece for me. I’ve had 1 piece and they are a pain in the butt to move around and the real world difference is just not worth the trade off.

The only one pieces I use now are short Halibut rods that have to take a wicked load.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 AM

Nice Father's Day present someone knows how to pick rods I would go with the one piece if travels not a problem

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk