Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Default icast 2018 new pedal drive pelican made in Canada

Icast 2018 lots of new gear/ideas, and old made new check it out. A Canadanian option vs Hobie Hopefully comes in cheaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgySna0Kjr4
Old 07-12-2018, 08:03 PM

Of course Pelican is the first to rip off Hobie designs.

Hobie patents expired last year and this is almost a direct copy. Hobie still has patents on their reverse drive and 2 types of fin design(ST and new 180 style) which will be lasting for a significant amount of time and will leave Pelican stuck using Hobies 20 year old designs...

Pricing is $1500 USD MSRP. Cheaper but I imagine the quality difference will be noticeable as is the case with all Pelican boats.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 PM

Default eyeing this up

That boat is going to compete with the cheapest hobie-compass, which comes in at 2695 Canadian, that pelican will be under 2000, and old town has the pdl topwater coming out too, but weighs more than an outback, I've been looking at the compass and so far the seat eyes and seat latches have been breaking, the reduced weight is a big factor that's attracting me to the compass, but there has to be some plastic reduction to compensate, and some of those outbacks have had cracked hulls in the past so less plastic now?, Was out on the tarpon 120 tonight that was fun and alot cheaper..I know no pedal power.Hows yours holding up? How'd those paddle boats due in the wind at the tourney? Didn't see any posts about the East Slope Classic, Mike still in his tarpon?
Old 07-13-2018, 12:12 AM

Cracking hasn't been a serious issue since they redid the molds years ago and Hobie has always stood behind those products. Think it was 2011 or something like that when they corrected that issue.

I used my first Outback for 2-3 years and put over 2000 kms on it. Never had any issues with it other then self inflicted hitting a submerged tree etc. Last year I upgraded to newer version to get the new seat, transducer mount and 180 drive and have again already put a lot of distance on it although for some reason I had a rudder line fail(think it was too tight) but was covered by warranty. I tried a compass out and it was good but I do kind of like the Outback and Revo better. I think they should have just use the Compass style hull and left it with the better seat etc.

I've tried some of these other pedal drives and compared to the others. Nothing compares to Hobies and I don't expect this Pelican one will either. Sure it will be cheaper but just because it is Mirage drive style technology doesn't mean it will be in the same class. Having used the original style Hobie fins and compared them to the ST fins and now the 180 fins I can say there is a huge difference between the different fins.

Paddle boats did fine in the tourney but mainly because the guys didn't go very far and winds didn't hit till later in the day when lots had pretty much given up. I was all over the place and caught the biggest walleye because of it.

Mike uses a WS Radar now and has both the motor drive and pedal drive. WS pedal drive and Radar are decent but propeller style sucks if going through any weeds and not as fast/powerful as Hobie mirage drive.

Unfortunately almost all kayak prices went up thanks to these stupid trade wars going on. Compasses were only around 2500 but got slapped with a 10% tariff... Between that and our horrible dollar lots of these kayaks are overpriced and it is hurting dealers.

If you want a Hobie just pay close attention for used boats. I know a guy that might sell a Pro Angler but not sure how much he would want.