Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 PM

Default News from Pigeon

My buddies and I went to Pigeon this morning, just at the prov. park. We first went 200 yards out for afew hours, nothing, then moved another 200yards..boom in about 2 hours we had 3 walleye and a bunch of bites(only could keep 2 because we only have small size tags) 2 were around 40cm, the big one was about 50-55cm 4+ pounds..woulda been great eating. Ice was around 13 inches, one guy tried to drive /w his truck, sounded like glass breaking, so he decided to walk out. Cold day, not cold enough to bust out the shack, but cold enough.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:52 PM

Thanx 4 the update n welcome to the forum DaveFish! Happy holes
Old 12-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
My buddies and I went to Pigeon this morning, just at the prov. park. We first went 200 yards out for afew hours, nothing, then moved another 200yards..boom in about 2 hours we had 3 walleye and a bunch of bites(only could keep 2 because we only have small size tags) 2 were around 40cm, the big one was about 50-55cm 4+ pounds..woulda been great eating. Ice was around 13 inches, one guy tried to drive /w his truck, sounded like glass breaking, so he decided to walk out. Cold day, not cold enough to bust out the shack, but cold enough.
Sounds like a good day on the water . Tell me was the ice really bad quality , or was it nice and clear . Talked to a friend who lives just Between The Village and Mulhurst and tells me the ice is al honeycombed and really poor quality .

And welcome aboard . Always nice to see new folk to the forum .
Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks guys, long time reader, thought I'd post for once. Yea, really nice day for the first ice fish of the year, goin up to peanut wed. to get some monster rainbs, caught afew 3-5 pounders that tasted great late in the season there last year. Ice was okay, just okay, not too clear. A lot of pressure cracks, and some guy tried to on it with his truck afew days ago/week ago and had a tire sink in more than once.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFish View Post
Ice was okay, just okay, not too clear. A lot of pressure cracks, and some guy tried to on it with his truck afew days ago/week ago and had a tire sink in more than once.
Thats what Ive been hearing , Thanks for a Second opinion and confirmation . A Coyote hunting I ago instead .
Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM

Dave,

I guess I was fishing right beside you. Landed and released one just over 43cm. Missed some stricks. Didn't see any other species except walleye. Overall a slow day.

BTW, the ice was 12' 200 yards from shore. And when we moved to another spot 20 feet away, and then the ice was just 6'!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 AM

I drove on yesterday just down from the P.P. park at Grandview. there was 12 inches of good clear solid ice as I went out a couple hundred yards and drilled a hole..... or so I thought. As I was coming back into shore a little off course from my original path i must have hit some surface water and broke through for at least 30' (I didn't go back to measure) luckily I was in 4x4 and I just pinned it and managed to get outta there. So becareful if you're driving on.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM

is anyone seeing any whites?