Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The blended draw system is a good way to anger the guys who have waited 10 plus years and are guaranteed to get drawn in the foreseeable future. Their odds would be destroyed.

The best solution would be to remove large numbers of applicants from certain draw codes. This can be easily done by only allowing people to only apply for 3 priority based special draws plus one "once in a life time" lottery per year.

You would see acceleration in numbers of hunters drawn if this were to happen. Shorter wait times would be realized.
Bingo!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Bingo!!!!!!!
Wrong. It makes people apply for antlered animals only. Makes waits even longer on those and people will just get unsubscibed for tags every year. I find it funny how nobody uses common sense anymore or thinks before they say something. Great ideas guys keep showing SRD how to make everything worse.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Great ideas guys keep showing SRD how to make everything worse.

How about trying something really unique for you, instead of continually condemning everyone else's ideas, how about actually suggesting something that might help to change the situation.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about trying something really unique for you, instead of continually condemning everyone else's ideas, how about actually suggesting something that might help to change the situation.
Other than sheep draws I think the draw system is fine and fair to all.More people equals longer wait times. So quit whining and trying to figure out how make it so you can jump ahead of everybody and bandaid the problem for a short time. The only thing that actually makes sense in the thread is making residency way more difficult to get to keep out double dippers.

Elkhunter11 here is am idea. How about if you are not born here you don't hunt, work, or live here. That would fix things for a long time. Sorry to all who don't fall in to this category but life is not fair according to people in this thread.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
Other than sheep draws I think the draw system is fine and fair to all.More people equals longer wait times. So quit whining and trying to figure out how make it so you can jump ahead of everybody and bandaid the problem for a short time. The only thing that actually makes sense in the thread is making residency way more difficult to get to keep out double dippers.

Elkhunter11 here is am idea. How about if you are not born here you don't hunt, work, or live here. That would fix things for a long time. Sorry to all who don't fall in to this category but life is not fair according to people in this thread.
What a great idea!, then they wouldn't have to pay taxes here either, get hold of me in a year or so and let me know how that is working out for ya
Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:

So you pounce on Elk only to say those born on Alberta soil qualify for resident status ? Silly and very self centered attitude.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
What a great idea!, then they wouldn't have to pay taxes here either, get hold of me in a year or so and let me know how that is working out for ya
lol. Don't need there taxes as we won't need all the crap as there will be way less people. Life will be back to like the 70's and 80's. Can't wait. I take I will see you later to Hal53?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
So you pounce on Elk only to say those born on Alberta soil qualify for resident status ? Silly and very self centered attitude.
Not at all. No one has brought forth any idea that will actually do anything with a growing population others then having to qualify for residency. So I joke about making it for only born and bread as that is the only way that will change anything to what these people want. Like I said think about it before posting more crap that does nothing for all hunters other than making it easier for a select few to jump ahead of the system.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Not at all. No one has brought forth any idea that will actually do anything with a growing population others then having to qualify for residency. So I joke about making it for only born and bread as that is the only way that will change anything to what these people want. Like I said think about it before posting more crap that does nothing for all hunters other than making it easier for a select few to jump ahead of the system.
There has been some good discussion here, personally I agree with limiting the amount of actual draws residents can apply for... The idea of "trophy" draws being limited to say 3 and maximum application total to 5 would help.

Clarifying resident status again would ease pressure.

Increase application fees marginally and using the excess to go towards increase enforcement, conservation, habitat restoration, ext would benefit all Albertans as well. Yes I understand the fees right now are collected by a third party. Increase fees would not be retained by this service provider.

I do not agree with price point of trophy tags, this would be the start to elitism which I am sure most do not want to see...
Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
There has been some good discussion here, personally I agree with limiting the amount of actual draws residents can apply for... The idea of "trophy" draws being limited to say 3 and maximum application total to 5 would help.

Increase application fees marginally and using the excess to go towards increase enforcement, conservation, habitat restoration, ext would benefit all Albertans as well. Yes I understand the fees right now are collected by a third party. Increase fees would not be retained by this service provider.

I do not agree with price point of trophy tags, this would be the start to elitism which I am sure most do not want to see...
What would you concider a "trophy draw" anything requiring 10+ priority points?

I would also support 438 sheep, buffalo and mountain goat to be once in a lifetime due to the staggering odds
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Pathetic post! Why not use your energy thinking of helpful ideas rather than typing drivel. You're just pot stirring.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
What would you concider a "trophy draw" anything requiring 10+ priority points?

I would also support 438 sheep, buffalo and mountain goat to be once in a lifetime due to the staggering odds
Not sure what would constitute a "trophy" status, a sheep in my world wouldn't make it, but I am sure many many others would disagree

Wait times / success certainly could be used in factoring in what the majority of our community would consider as trophy.

I would support the one time or once in a lifetime idealism on the species you reference.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=residentguide;2503589]Other than sheep draws I think the draw system is fine and fair to all.More people equals longer wait times. So quit whining and trying to figure out how make it so you can jump ahead of everybody and bandaid the problem for a short time. The only thing that actually makes sense in the thread is making residency way more difficult to get to keep out double dippers.

He's right about that.....more people less game .
Old 07-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. If this happens I feel people will apply for antlered animals and just get an I subscribed anger less tag. Increasing application and tag costs does not make any sense unless all money goes directly to SRD for enforcement instead of going to tag vendor and the government general revenue account. The residency thing is the only thing I can agree on.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I pretty much agree with everything you are saying. As for what a trophy is, to me anything with antlers.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Pathetic post! Why not use your energy thinking of helpful ideas rather than typing drivel. You're just pot stirring.
What 17 pages of stirring the pot by most and you jump on me cause I speak the truth then post a brain dead response as a joke to show how foolish people have been. There is no idea that is going to make things better here. Why don't we make everything a general tag and let everybody go wild till there is nothing left.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

after over 500 posts on this thread i think that there has been a few good suggestions on reducing draw wait times. I personally however am totally against higher fees. Last thing I want to be doing is giving the Govt. more money to waste in general revenue (thinking extra money will go directly to srd is naive).
Question..... is there not some way they could have a date that hunters have to buy the tags they were drawn for? Tags that are not purchased by that date could then be sold as undersubscribed?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
give some answers instead of pointing..or
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
What 17 pages of stirring the pot by most and you jump on me cause I speak the truth then post a brain dead response as a joke to show how foolish people have been. There is no idea that is going to make things better here. Why don't we make everything a general tag and let everybody go wild till there is nothing left.

Well that's not entirely true about no good ideas, there are some here that make sense the trouble is getting them implemented. We got to quit being short sighted and not look at this from a right now or next season perspective, but some proactive steps to insure that 5-10-15 yrs down the road there are opportunities for future generations. The current system is a boondoggle, and needs tweaked even though its likley one of the best in N/A. There are ways to make it fair and sustainable , it won't happen with this government, and won't happen if people keep looking at me,me,me.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Well that's not entirely true about no good ideas, there are some here that make sense the trouble is getting them implemented. We got to quit being short sighted and not look at this from a right now or next season perspective, but some proactive steps to insure that 5-10-15 yrs down the road there are opportunities for future generations. The current system is a boondoggle, and needs tweaked even though its likley one of the best in N/A. There are ways to make it fair and sustainable , it won't happen with this government, and won't happen if people keep looking at me,me,me.
there lies the problem ....
Old 07-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Question..... is there not some way they could have a date that hunters have to buy the tags they were drawn for? Tags that are not purchased by that date could then be sold as undersubscribed?
I think if they did this...then those who collect the undersubscribed (for tags not claimed only) should lose the priority they built....fair is fair.

LC
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Ok that is fair to say but with the amount moving here and if we double in size and all are residents how is it you would do it? Animal numbers are going to stay constant while wait times are going to double as that is simple math. Changing to the purposed cap and then to a lotto does nothing but make our system the same as BC in 10 years and making everything a once in a life time tag. So to me the only way is to change residency and changing laws to have Alice time ban for double dippers and people shooting tag that are not there own.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think if they did this...then those who collect the undersubscribed (for tags not claimed only) should lose the priority they built....fair is fair.

LC
if this happened success rates would go up and tag numbers will go down. As for undersubscribed no you should not loose priority cause tags are left over. It is a resource to get a tag that people don't want. Why should I be punished cause I am helping the government manage the resource after I was unsuccessful in my draws?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Read through this thread and it is easy to see why resident hunters get screwed.

No one is even close to being on the same page and too busy fighting each other.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Read through this thread and it is easy to see why resident hunters get screwed.

No one is even close to being on the same page and too busy fighting each other.
No fighting. Discussion to change things always results in disagreement. What would you do JD? I am just pointing out why peoples ideas won't work.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
if this happened success rates would go up and tag numbers will go down. As for undersubscribed no you should not loose priority cause tags are left over. It is a resource to get a tag that people don't want. Why should I be punished cause I am helping the government manage the resource after I was unsuccessful in my draws?
You aren't punished...you got a tag that someone else didn't pay for?

I thought that was the point in this was to reduce wait times?

If you were not drawn but you grabbed a tag that someone else was supposed to draw....your wait time goes down, but you should give up your priority because you received a draw tag. The person who forfeits the tag also should not increase priority for that year....for giving up the tag.

You are missing the fact that you received a tag....you just want your cake and to eat it too!

I think people who pick up undersubscribed should forfeit their priority IMHO....never understood why they did not set it up that way.

LC
Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
You aren't punished...you got a tag that someone else didn't pay for?

I thought that was the point in this was to reduce wait times?

If you were not drawn but you grabbed a tag that someone else was supposed to draw....your wait time goes down, but you should give up your priority because you received a draw tag. The person who forfeits the tag also should not increase priority for that year....for giving up the tag.

You are missing the fact that you received a tag....you just want your cake and to eat it too!

I think people who pick up undersubscribed should forfeit their priority IMHO....never understood why they did not set it up that way.

LC
i don't think those tags should go to the undersubscribed as they are not. They should go to the people that applied for it not everybody who is waiting for a gift. Still doing this will lower tag numbers as success will increase. No I don't want my cake and your piece. Everybody else sure does though.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
No fighting. Discussion to change things always results in disagreement. What would you do JD? I am just pointing out why peoples ideas won't work.
It is back near the start of the thread

The truth is there will be an increased demand on tags as hunter numbers increase. There is no perfect solution.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
i don't think those tags should go to the undersubscribed as they are not. They should go to the people that applied for it not everybody who is waiting for a gift. Still doing this will lower tag numbers as success will increase. No I don't want my cake and your piece. Everybody else sure does though.
So how many round and rounds of draws are they going to have before they are all handed out....talk about logistic nightmare!

These are all hypothetical situations but in no way should a draw that is not "claimed" be put up on the general market without a priority removal or other consequence.

LC
Old 07-28-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
So how many round and rounds of draws are they going to have before they are all handed out....talk about logistic nightmare!

These are all hypothetical situations but in no way should a draw that is not "claimed" be put up on the general market without a priority removal or other consequence.

LC
I disagree, its like pulling a tag for a second or third preference you don't loose your points. Lots of guys pick up unsubscribed tags that wouldn't have bothered to buy one if they had to burn their points