Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you want night vision?
Yes 47 73.44%
No 17 26.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 AM

Default Night Vision

A Team of Biohackers Has Figured Out How to Inject Your Eyeballs With Night Vision
Max Plenke's avatar image By Max Plenke March 25, 2015
Like Mic on Facebook:

In "people becoming superhuman" news, a small independent research group has figured out how to give humans night vision, allowing them to see over 50 meters in the dark for a short time.

Science for the Masses, a group of biohackers based a couple hours north of Los Angeles in Tehachapi, California, theorized they could enhance healthy eyesight enough that it would induce night vision. To do this, the group used a kind of chlorophyll analog called Chlorin e6 (or Ce6), which is found in some deep-sea fish and is used as an occasional method to treat night blindness.

"Going off that research, we thought this would be something to move ahead with," the lab's medical officer, Jeffrey Tibbetts, told Mic. "There are a fair amount of papers talking about having it injected in models like rats, and it's been used intravenously since the '60s as a treatment for different cancers. After doing the research, you have to take the next step."

To do so, team biochem researcher Gabriel Licina became a guinea pig.

How it happened: With what's basically a really fine turkey baster, Tibbetts slowly dripped 50 microliters of Ce6, an extremely low dose, into Licina's speculum-stretched eyes, aiming for the conjunctival sac, which carried the chemical to the retina.

Gabriel LicinaSource: Science for the Masses

"To me, it was a quick, greenish-black blur across my vision, and then it dissolved into my eyes," Licina told Mic.

And then they waited. From the patent they read, the effects start kicking in within an hour. Licina and Tibbetts had done their research, going so far as to post a paper called "A Review on Night Enhancement Eyedrops Using Chlorin e6." But they are, after all, a bunch of guys working out of a garage. So they went out to a dark field and tested Licina's new superpowers.

Did it work? Yes. It started with shapes, hung about 10 meters away. "I'm talking like the size of my hand," Licina says. Before long, they were able to do longer distances, recognizing symbols and identifying moving subjects against different backgrounds.

"The other test, we had people go stand in the woods," he says. "At 50 meters, we could figure out where they were, even if they were standing up against a tree." Each time, Licina had a 100% success rate. The control group, without being dosed with Ce6, only got them right a third of the time.
Gabriel LicinaSource: Science for the Masses

Hacking the human body: Biohacks like these are a perfect example of where science and biology can go, and something like providing temporary night vision could be used for more than just a really serious Doctor Mid-Nite costume. Imagine search-and-rescue teams being able to see in the dark in forested areas or hostage situations.

It doesn't have to be done with a colossal budget, either. With the amount of information freely available, pursuing science can be more about curiosity than resources.

"For us, it comes down to pursuing things that are doable but won't be pursued by major corporations," Tibbetts says. "There are rules to be followed and don't go crazy, but science isn't a mystical language that only a few elite people can speak."

What's next? For the lab's night vision experiment, there are other tests they need to do, with hard science with actual lab equipment and getting real numbers on the electrical stimulation in the eye. But for now, it's fair to say it worked.

"Once you get the hard numbers, that's it," Licina says. "You take it and quantify it and write it down, and release it. ... This is how science works. It isn't flashy. But it makes it more accessible. It shows it can be done. If we can do it in our garage, other people can, too."

http://mic.com/articles/113740/a-tea...h-night-vision

Procedure being done on a volunteer

His eyes after being injected
Old 03-28-2015, 07:50 AM

Hell, I can't stand most of the stuff I see going on around me in GP in the daylight, why would I want to see it clearly at night too....?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Banned

Drug testing in garages. This should get interesting.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM

it would be handy to spot that deer or moose hiding in the ditch, waiting to jump in front of my truck.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:02 AM

A special kind of stupid to let someone experiment on your eyes, out of a garage. Night vision goggles work just fine. Neat article, no way I would be a Guinea pig.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Banned

Do you have to have both ears pierced for it to work?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
It must help amplify the star light.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It could be due to the large reflective surface above his eye.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-28-2015, 10:35 AM

When I read the article I was thinking about the uses in warfare and policing.

Last edited by FishingMOM; 03-28-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 AM

Riddick?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Three weeks after the testing the subject was unable to see objects 10 feet in front of his nose in broad daylight.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

It would sure make me think twice about what I drag home on a saturday night
Old 03-28-2015, 01:50 PM

It's all fun and games until someone shines a flashlight in the guinea pigs eyes and super blinds him.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Banned

Nice way to go blind.

Even if it did work, and I'm very skeptical on that, it would have very limited uses. Modern NOD's are all equipped with an IR spotlight, in order for NOD's to work there must be ambient light, moonlight, starlight etc. If you wear NOD's inside a dark building without activating the IR to light your way you would be blind anyways, same goes for using them outside with zero ambient light, very limited use.

Again, playing with fire here letting some amateur chemist inject something into or onto your eyeballs in his garage!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 PM

Wheres the "Maybe" choice?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It works in conjunction with the science-y T-shirt and the earrings, when combined and driven at 88 MPH they form an optical singularity.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownonscents View Post
Riddick?
Thats the first thought that crossed my mind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
When I read the article I was thinking about the uses in warfare and policing.
I could see it being used eventually. It would be interesting to learn about the long-term effects.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Three weeks after the testing the subject was unable to see objects 10 feet in front of his nose in broad daylight.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It works in conjunction with the science-y T-shirt and the earrings, when combined and driven at 88 MPH they form an optical singularity.
DO you still need a flux capacitor?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:43 PM

Meh, somebody had to eat the first mushroom and survive that we all might enjoy them. They're his eyes.
Imagine having drops in your first aid kit that allowed you to more effectively render aid to the injured after a disaster with no power for lights.
Not so dumb then.
If they work and don't cause any damage, it could save many lives.
If it was a military developed product, it would be many, many decades before the public was offered/heard about it.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Meh, somebody had to eat the first mushroom and survive that we all might enjoy them. They're his eyes.
Imagine having drops in your first aid kit that allowed you to more effectively render aid to the injured after a disaster with no power for lights.
Not so dumb then.
If they work and don't cause any damage, it could save many lives.
If it was a military developed product, it would be many, many decades before the public was offered/heard about it.
Actually you make a great point, this could be extremely valuable during disasters. If they can get it to the point where it doesn't cause damage to ones eyes.
Imagine how much longer search and rescue could work looking for that child, or go looking after a tornado or earthquake when nightfalls they wouldn't have to call off searches because of dark any more.