Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Scott....I think/thought it was a scam because their main goal was to sell me a machine, even before testing. I know apnea is a real problem. I have buddies who won't spend 1 night without their machines. I'm not married so there's no one there to attest to whats going on. I go to sleep and wake in the exact same position . My fishing buds tell me I snore but no gasping or stopping breathing. So I was convinced I didn't have the problem.

They sent me home with a test machine....I think I wore it for 17 nites. They pulled the card out and sent it to a Dr. at the Grey Nuns to read the results. It said I stop breathing 35.3 times per hour. So I bought their machine and have been using it faithfully now for 3 months. Because I'm a sound sleeper the mask doesn't bother me 98% of the time. But I am still tired all the time (I am overweight, for sure) and I haven't had the successes my friends have.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Travel CPAP Machine

I recently obtained a Resmed Air Mini for travel. I have used it a few times and it is liberating to have such a small machine to haul around.

https://canadacpapsupply.com/resmed-airmini-cpap.html

They are working on a battery pack.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, bought a machine, tried it 1/2 a dozen times...... just can't get used to sleeping with it on.
Anyone interested, I'd let it go real cheap.
lol, same here, if you shift around, the air starts blowing into your eyes, then the machine ramps up the pressure and it's just screaming, have a wrestling match with it under the covers, by that time you are wide awake. Lots of guys swear by them tho, just not for me.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 PM

Woke up one night with the pressure so high and blowing in my eyes, it felt like I was riding my Harley! Lol.

Anyone tried one of those chin straps?
Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller View Post
Woke up one night with the pressure so high and blowing in my eyes, it felt like I was riding my Harley! Lol.

Anyone tried one of those chin straps?
Yes, I have to wear the chin strap. Hate it with a passion.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:51 PM

After hearing the ad on the radio for the Mayo clinic advertising the dental appliance I decided to call and get more info. So basically if you have medium to severe sleep apnea the success rate is very low and not to mention about $3500.00 .
I hate my cpap . Have not had a good night sleep in years!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Whose got 'em and uses them, how much $$, etc. etc. I was recently tested....haven't heard the results yet but am pretty sure it will be recommended (as its the only way they make any money). I can't help but feel its a scam....
I have heard some that swear by them but I am one that swore at my cpap. I tried one for 3 years.

The best thing that happened to me was that I had a bit of a health issue and lost a significant amount of weight. I hardly snore at all now.

The people who do the test are the people who sell the product.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:20 AM

My problem is I can't get to sleep in the first place. Toss and turn all night. I envy the people who go to sleep 5 minutes after they hit the sack. In fact it ****es me off! I can doze off watching the tv while in the easy chair or on the couch but only for 5-10 minutes then I'm awake and feel more sacked out than before I dozed off. Sleeping pills don't work, tried them a few times over the years. Been like this for decades. When I actually am asleep any sound wakes me up. I have a noisy old fan that I point at my head and that helps dull outside noises. Took a sleep test years ago, of course doing the test kept me from sleeping.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have heard some that swear by them but I am one that swore at my cpap. I tried one for 3 years.

The best thing that happened to me was that I had a bit of a health issue and lost a significant amount of weight. I hardly snore at all now.

The people who do the test are the people who sell the product.
Sounds like you fixed the problem with your weight loss. A very large percentage ( but not all ) of sleep apnea can be directly attributed to excess weight.
Unfortunately you are right. There are some sleep clinics that will over prescribe CPAP just to make sales. It's pretty predictable when ever you have private industry there is always the financial incentive that is hard to pass up.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:58 AM

^^^^^^Pretty much describes me. I have very little apnea, but insomnia seemed to be my problem. They say there is no rest for the wicked Could fall asleep in seconds if I was in a chair, but no matter how tired I would not stay asleep in bed. Tried zopiclone or imovane but those did not keep me asleep but when I discontinued them a got no sleep. Then I went a direction that I would have never predicted years ago. I tried THC drops about an hour before bed. I was able to reduce the zopiclone and then totally stop taking. I still have to get up a couple time a night to pee but I get back to sleep right away and for most of the night I rest well.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Sounds like you fixed the problem with your weight loss. A very large percentage ( but not all ) of sleep apnea can be directly attributed to excess weight.
Unfortunately you are right. There are some sleep clinics that will over prescribe CPAP just to make sales. It's pretty predictable when ever you have private industry there is always the financial incentive that is hard to pass up.
Yes the weight loss fixed the apnea or the stopped breathing but did not completely cure my sleep problem. The years I hoped that the cpap would be the cure all left me not tackling the insomnia I had developed. In my previous post I mentioned that THC helped but I have also eliminated several fibrous foods and foods that contain certain substances that cause gut irritation.

It is my opinion that there are many changes that may be needed to increase quality of sleep. I am not there yet but my sleep in the last year is way better than in decades.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Default just as i thought

artical on bogus on sleep study places
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4472111

Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 PM

Default Purchasing online vs from clinic

After at least 10 years or more of feeling tired all the time, I got tested and tested positive for sleep apnea. Took a machine home from the clinic for a one month trial and slept better than I can ever remember. After the trial was over, I decided not to buy from the clinic as I see the same machine and mask online for 1/3 the price. I have not ordered it yet, and looking for any advice I need to be aware of before purchasing.

I gave back the trail machine 5 nights ago and my sleep habits returned to how bad they were before the machine. Snore like a son of a gun and always feel tired.

I called the online supplier to confirm it is new equipment and they will set it up for free when I email them my trial data from the machine I had for a month.

I can claim the machine and mask through my insurance as I have the prescription from the clinic doctor which my insurance company confirmed.

I think this is my best option unless someone knows better.

All advice is appreciated.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
After at least 10 years or more of feeling tired all the time, I got tested and tested positive for sleep apnea. Took a machine home from the clinic for a one month trial and slept better than I can ever remember. After the trial was over, I decided not to buy from the clinic as I see the same machine and mask online for 1/3 the price. I have not ordered it yet, and looking for any advice I need to be aware of before purchasing.

I gave back the trail machine 5 nights ago and my sleep habits returned to how bad they were before the machine. Snore like a son of a gun and always feel tired.

I called the online supplier to confirm it is new equipment and they will set it up for free when I email them my trial data from the machine I had for a month.

I can claim the machine and mask through my insurance as I have the prescription from the clinic doctor which my insurance company confirmed.

Had the same happen to me. The “clinic” wanted to sell it to me for $2500. I could get it online for $799 all in. I asked them why the difference in $ for the same unit and they pretty much put the phone down in my ear. They were very reluctant to send me my results from the study because they knew they would lose out on the sale (ripoff). I literally had to threaten them to give me my results.
Got the Resmed Autoset 10. Lots of YouTube videos to help you set it up.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post

Well it seems like the machine and the set up did what it was supposed to do.
Do keep in mind that frequently as people get more (and better) sleep they have a tenancy to improve other areas of their lives (weight loss and exercise tolerance). As those changes occur you may need changes on your machine settings.
With