Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Give me a pack of steaks

Or a roast... How many times a year do you hear that when people find out you have a moose, elk, or deer?

I give away lots of wild game meat every year, some people need it, some people don't, but nobody thinks twice about asking for it.

One guy asked for a quarter of moose and said he'd give ma a quarter of elk when he shot one. I gave him a quarter, he shot an elk..... musta forgot about the deal he made.

This year he found out I got my moose draw, so he graciously offered to help me with my moose. When I brought up the fact I was still waiting for my elk meat, I got the deer in the headlights stare. Then he says he didn't know I wanted any elk meat, even forgot about the quarter of moose I hung in his shed until his wife said "yesssss, remember he gave us a quarter of moose".

I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast. I'd rather do that, beef roast is so much easier to come by!!!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Yep I know that one. Its like they think its easy to come by. Lol
Old 10-26-2017, 01:13 PM

My aunt made the mistake of telling Dad the meat we hunted was "free". As in, "why can't I have some? you get it for free".

Dad had her come over for cutting day to have her earn some "free" meat.

She kind of sort of got it a little bit after that. You don't cut the belly open and have little brown packages fall out.

LC
Old 10-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Gone Hunting

"I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast."

This is a pet peeve of mine. Like you I have given away tons of game, but it's the entitlement to 'Free" meat that chafes me.

I've had generous souls say they don't want something for nothing, they would be happy to reimburse me for the cost of the tag.

I used to have some special game packages for those mooches. Shanks, neck roast, ground blood shot and bruised trim for stew. Coyote back straps and hips make great jerky.

Oddly the requests seem to have stopped.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-26-2017, 01:42 PM

Smile

^ HAHA! all to funny!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"I don't have a problem with giving away meat, it's just funny how people will ask for a pack of wild game, but wouldn't dare ask if you would mind running to Safeway and grabbing them a roast."

This is a pet peeve of mine. Like you I have given away tons of game, but it's the entitlement to 'Free" meat that chafes me.

I've had generous souls say they don't want something for nothing, they would be happy to reimburse me for the cost of the tag.

I used to have some special game packages for those mooches. Shanks, neck roast, ground blood shot and bruised trim for stew. Coyote back straps and hips make great jerky.

Oddly the requests seem to have stopped.
Be happy to take those shanks off your hands just don’t debone them. One of my favourite meals. Ossobuko so good. I’ll pass on the yote though Thanks

Last edited by Freerider; 11-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:47 AM

Last few years we've gone through one elk and two deer.... and we're buying meat by may or June.
I have some good friends that will call me up and let me have the sections that they don't want..... ribs... front shoulders... neck.. whatever.

My kids and I convert it all to trim and we get it done into burger.

If you got a spare moose laying around...... gimme a PM.

Teenagers are hungry critters.

I give my elk shanks and hind bones to a family that loves them.

Stew and soup! They swear by it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Last few years we've gone through one elk and two deer.... and we're buying meat by may or June.
I have some good friends that will call me up and let me have the sections that they don't want..... ribs... front shoulders... neck.. whatever.

My kids and I convert it all to trim and we get it done into burger.

If you got a spare moose laying around...... gimme a PM.

Teenagers are hungry critters.

I give my elk shanks and hind bones to a family that loves them.

Stew and soup! They swear by it.
You need to look up:
Osso Buco. Mmmmm
Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM

I don't bother keeping score but in the end I hope I have given much more than I have taken.

If anyone needs some meat, I always have lots.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:52 PM

Deer meat sure. But moose or elk? Not so much. I tell people they can have a bunch of roasts off my next moose harvest. I'm a priority 0 but I should have my draw in about 8 years in a mountain zone.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Default Safeway meat

Not sure about you guys, but Safeway meat is a lot cheaper in the end ! But we don't love being in the bush to save money.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Hey Kurt, but seriously, if you get lucky, give me a pack of steaks.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Not sure about you guys, but Safeway meat is a lot cheaper in the end ! But we don't love being in the bush to save money.
Agreed. But some years are cheaper than others. All depends on how the hunts play out...
Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Yup, and funny they think the whole deer is made up of steaks.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I don't bother keeping score but in the end I hope I have given much more than I have taken.

If anyone needs some meat, I always have lots.
x2.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:09 PM

Default I don't mind sharing either but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My aunt made the mistake of telling Dad the meat we hunted was "free". As in, "why can't I have some? you get it for free".

Dad had her come over for cutting day to have her earn some "free" meat.

She kind of sort of got it a little bit after that. You don't cut the belly open and have little brown packages fall out.

LC
I think I spent way more money pound for pound to shoot my Antelope this year than if I would have bought a top placing 4H calf.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM

I like giving a bit away to friends, it usually happens when I host a dinner. My wife was always on me to give away packages of meat. I told her these people don't go into their freezer and give me their food why should I give away our family's food?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I like giving a bit away to friends, it usually happens when I host a dinner. My wife was always on me to give away packages of meat. I told her these people don't go into their freezer and give me their food why should I give away our family's food?
I like the way you roll. LOL.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:40 AM

My boy and I were cleaning geese yesterday. An oriental fellow drove up in a BMW and walked up the driveway and asked if he could buy a goose. I told him that he couldn't because that is illegal. However he walked away with a goose as a gift.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM

It is really aggravating some times.

I have had one neighbor say to me once he found out I had deer in the freezer,
"I can't wait to have some deer!".... As if it is expected or an obligation of mine to give it away. Or as if we are close personal friends(we are not).

Maybe he was half joking or not really serious, but as most of you have mentioned, a lot of time, energy and work goes into harvesting these animals.

Oh well, happy hunting!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 AM

I get "requests" from my family every year. The ones that will get some meat are the ones that view it as a gift and are appreciative. The ones that don't get any meat are the ones that view it more as their right. I have no problem sharing with someone that really in need or my friends. The only person I would say is guaranteed a share of wild game is the land owner and anyone who helps me with the processing, even then its a gift. My hunting partners usually get a taste as well because they offer samples as well.

It really bugs me when people think the meat is free. By the time everything is added up I pay more for my wild game than I do for store bought. Also add in the fact that I usually make my own jerky or sausage. I even have one family member that feels it is their right to take wild meat right from my freezer without asking.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Wags, you do know it's illegal to buy or sell game. A lot of poaching is very lucrative because of this practice.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-01-2017, 09:11 AM

and when you gave a person some game meat,a week later they might sayh,that game meat you gave me smelled funny,we couldnt eat it,we throw it to garbage!now i dont give away game meat,they need to ask 10 times.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

Pretty sure a pound of ground sheep meat starts at $1,000 and goes up from there.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:07 PM

I always make a point to ask my buddies for the heart of their animal. Most people leave the best part behind in the gut pile!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM

We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves. One time we gave a bunch to a community worker to share around with people that needed it where we live. They were so amazed and thankful, there was probably 5 or 600$ worth of meat in those boxes. And of course there are all the friends that really enjoy a nice moose or elk steak to chew on.

Some people act so weird over sharing meat.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves. One time we gave a bunch to a community worker to share around with people that needed it where we live. They were so amazed and thankful, there was probably 5 or 600$ worth of meat in those boxes. And of course there are all the friends that really enjoy a nice moose or elk steak to chew on.

Let me ask you this, just exactly how many animals do you shoot a year that you kill so many you could not possibly eat it all?

I'm not going to say what I think about killing way more animals than you could possibly eat, but I will say that 2 deer, 1 moose and one elk is about what my family goes through in a year.

Those that have a limit to what they can kill understand the value of wild game.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Maybe the local food bank could hire you to kill way more than you need. Youd be like the Robin Hood of meat.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
We always give away wild meat, mostly because I shoot way more than we could ever possibly eat by ourselves.

How does one save a quote for a signature line? This has got to be one of the more profound statements I've read on this forum and really exposes what's wrong with hunting "rights".

On a side note, I put some moose through the grinder, had my Dad and a friend help out. I think it's the best sausage we've ever made! Dave was happy with his care package.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:13 PM

I just think people don't understand the value of it. There's so much that goes into harvesting and processing it. I usually have people over for big butchering parties and they all leave with a generous amount. The ones that do ask for meet the odd time might get a taste but will typically end up being invited to butcher to earn their own