Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Default where are the fish at the Gull?

Opening day on ice at Sandy Point Gull Lake. fished very hard only saw one whites. Last year I could see dozen at the same spot with same technique. Skunked in the end. Looked around, most people had nothing.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Everyone limited out where we were Fishing.....

Lots of fish around!!!

MM
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 PM

Got my 3 today . Had to work for them .
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM

Default Gull Lake Skunking....Almost

So.... Opening day...got to Meridian beach before sunrise, walked on a long ways out...started in 8ft of water. Got 4 perch ranging from 4"-8"(all released)...and then nothing...moved out another 200m to 11ft of water and not a bloody thing.
So now its noon and my buddy and i are looking at each other wondering what to do next. Sandy point or Wilsons beach down the road. Wilsons it was...come down to the lake and there are a dozen trucks on the ice....and 20+ shacks within 100m of shore, targeting whites no doubt. We went out past the shacks to 9-10ft of water...not a nibble...so we went another 150m out to 15-18ft of water. My buddy gets a small walleye....and nothing. Now the sun is setting, we are demoralized, having tried everything but netting and dynamite. So we decide to pack up and hit our previous holes on the way back to the truck, and maybe scavenge on some holes left by the whitefish fisherman. Got a small jack, and then very shallow after starting the truck, I nailed a nice whitefish(released). That made my day, a 4 species day. Very slow all around, although i did see a couple whites iced. Still better out there than sitting at home. Better luck next time i guess. 13-14" of solid ice everywhere we went.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:19 PM

It's good you didn't choose the Sandy point, but Wilson beach. I grantee you nothing on Sandy point. I wonder if it is because of the construction over there, which may change the eco system and the pattern of fish environment?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM

When a big lake like Gull starts getting fished out and there is miles of fishless water it can seem like looking for a needle in a haystack. I saw it the last couple years that sheez getting tough out there. I got a few spots that get me a fish or two still but that's about it. Ive fished it early and late in the season for twenty five years and sheez hurtin. There's guys that claim they got hot fishing on gull but I beg to differ. Take it for what it is and move lots and hunt them down. Find a little gang of a dozen whites circling around a weed bed and you'll get a couple. if you don't see them on caMera or with your eyes in a half hour better get moving. That's how I roll anyway.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:04 PM

Gull is getting hit hard. Not the lake it used to be.

Too much pressure.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:15 AM

Same for me. Walked out too and saw only one white. The water was very murky but it is early so it should hopefully settle down. Caught on small pike. That's it. Went to Sylvan which was better.

It's early for sure so I'm not writing off anything Gull wise. That said, it sill has ridiculous limits on pike that cannot be sustained. That lake will probably need some protection to recover.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 PM

Funny how my few buds and I always find fish on Gull but I hear all these reports of no Fish? Search and try different tactics and you will be rewarded.

cheers

MM
Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder Man View Post
Funny how my few buds and I always find fish on Gull but I hear all these reports of no Fish? Search and try different tactics and you will be rewarded.

cheers

MM
Yeah?? Pics or it didn't happen

I walked 3.5 kms to a good spot. 6 different holes in the area yielded one white seen. 1.5 kms back stopped at a mid lake hill...nothing seen. Another 1 km back fished another mid lake hill and with the camera down this time. Seen one white in the distance. The only way I could have put in more effort would have been to get a vehicle under my butt and give er! I certainly got my exercise. It is called fishing for reason. Can't wait for the next trip to do some catching!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM

Yup my point exactly...you guys that say you are out slaughtering the whites and perch on gull these days let's have a look please. I know where to go and where the fish come from this time of year traditionally. I talk to lots of guys that fish the spots that I don't fish and they don't do any better. This "group of us caught our limit" stuff is something I would like to see. Show us gull lake regulars a dozen whites a picture if you catch that you surely archive such a great day. I know what they look like.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Are people actually surprised that the fishing is getting tougher and tougher?
Every time I go on Facebook and look at the Alberta fishing pages or look at posts on here, there are numerous posts of guy after guy keeping there limits every time they hit the ice(water).
Do guys think that with the pressure our lakes see and the number of people limiting out that it won’t have an ill effect in the years ahead.
Just my two sense.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Gull Lake (Dec 14th) it was a very disappointing day, moved 7-8 times, seen lots & lots of Whites, only caught two. Seen a few baby Perch one small Pike, no Walleye or Burbs. For a bright sunny day the visibility was 6 feet or less over sand/weed gravel/rocky bottom, I believe that’s worse than last year. Also noticed the Whites were all a bit smaller than what I remember, didn’t see any real big fish today. Did see lots of Lake Shiners, they were constantly attacking my W/W tipped with Pink Mag’s, perhaps that may contribute, too many natural bait fish. The wind the other day created a number of large cracks that opened up and yet a few guys were still driving around with trucks. Until we get some cold temps, be careful on Gull.

Edit: You can tell the size of a nice White by it's "Rudder" .... you compare.

Cheers

David

Broke through the surface with my heal …. Scary!

First trip to Gull this year.

First trip to Gull Last year.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:01 PM

Zip, nothing wrong with a couple and glad you saw lots. Any bigger looking ones seen?

Yes. I tested several heaves on Monday and could make them move. A couple I stepped over but not before testing the other side first to ensure it was solid.

Anyone thinking of driving on...your risk. You will likely be fine but watch crossing any big cracks or heaves as they are on the move until it cools down.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Went back out to Sandy Point, dragged my stuff out, only 1 vehicle on the ice. Seen 7 Whites, got 2 left 5 behind for another day. Small Pike were really active, had a few cut me off, they also like W/W’s & Pink Mag’s. Seen a few small Perch, no Burbs.

Mr. Snap ... seen one bigger White today, in the early afternoon, it was in the order of 20-22" in 5.5 fow, hugging the bottom, it blew a few kisses at my Brass W/W & turned, came back, had a second look and disappeared never to be seen again.

I drilled down 14” over 5.5 FOW, however, ice conditions should be a concern don’t go out exploring in your vehicle, too dangerous.

A few pics.

D.

Snow’s coming … would you drive over this ?

These guys were bugging me most of the morning.

Two nice one’s, just can get 3.

Just under 19”.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Opening day a couple years ago I fished in 6 to 10 feet of water on the North east side of Gull and didn't catch anything. Moved in to 2 feet of water and limited out on whites in 30 minutes. Don't be afraid to try the shallow water. Fish hunt in the shallow water because there is less water column to chase their prey.

Same thing happened at Smoke lake by fox Creek. Fished in deeper water and nothing. Moved to 2 feet of water and caught a few 8 to 9 lb. whites.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 AM

Zip, great report and congrats! Nothing wrong with 2 at all. Nice whites

Red, great info for sure. For me I just hate staying down an hole at 2 feet of water, can't see much in any direction and it remains empty. I get what you are saying but I'm probably to impatient to pull it off. But that is just me.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:15 PM

Default Non Believers!!!

So there Snapfisher and Pikeman06 sorry I didn't post any pics sooner. Been busy at the Cancer Clinic and dealing with the rest of family get together's and as well I am not much of a picture taker and poster.

Anyways I got out for a few hours this afternoon and hit 3 different places. Well the last one produced and I got my 3 Whites in less then 45 minutes after spudding a hole. Was nice and sunny this afternoon but darn cold to say the least......- 26 when I walked in the house after doing the honors on the nice Fish I caught.

So you none believers keep getting you Mom to bait your hook, cast it out so you can reel it in. The rest of us will continue to catch fish as we have learned and will enjoy the art of fishing.

I hope everyone has and will be having a festive season.

MM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP2977.jpg (29.3 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP2975.jpg (85.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 12-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Easy there cowboy... I live there. The fishing is going downhill real fast. I can get a fish or two still as I said. What are you trying to say anyways... that it's -25 out? Brilliant. Sitting out there alone on xmas day. Way to go! You are my hero. Thanks for posting. Great contribution to the thread. Awesome pictures.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:38 AM

Good for you!

Wow, I was just poking fun with a simple comment. Sorry about your lower appendage issue. Must be some size issue that makes you want to try to "measure" up to others.

I hope your personal issues you shared work out okay and that you have a great remaining holiday season out at Gull.

In the meantime, I'll focus on other lakes and you can have all the Gull time you like.