Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Default Fly Fishing at night

Am I allowed to have a headlamp or other small light of some sort so I can still at least tie my flies on when it gets really dark out? I want to try catching some late night browns.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 AM
Banned

my head hurts...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:16 AM

I do not know but do not see why not either. Get ready for bugs if/when you turn a headlamp on
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Page 23 of the guide shows it is unlawful to: "Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling"

How this is interpreted or what it even means is way beyond my comprehension
Old 08-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Pretty sure it means you cant use lights to attract the fish some species like catfish are attracted to light and its super effective to spotlighy thewater to lure them in im pretty sure if you have head lamp to see its fine lol always use them while ice fishing
Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runewolf1973 View Post
Am I allowed to have a headlamp or other small light of some sort so I can still at least tie my flies on when it gets really dark out? I want to try catching some late night browns.
Why wouldn't you be, just turn the light off when you are finished tying it on. If you are asking can you leave the light on all the time, that is a different can of worms. I don't know the answer to that one.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-17-2017, 10:21 AM

Sometimes we really want to overthink things. The regs are talking about methods of fishing, not methods of tying on flies, or seeing where you are walking etc. You can't use lights to pitlamp fish. Pretty simple.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Well it's obvious you're not supposed to use a light to attract the fish, lol. I just want to be sure it's okay to use and posess a light out in the water for safety reasons ( like seeing where I'm wading) and tying flies on. Of course it would be turned off while actually fishing. I think you guys answered that for me, thanks.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well it's obvious you're not supposed to use a light to attract the fish, lol. I just want to be sure it's okay to use and posess a light out in the water for safety reasons ( like seeing where I'm wading) and tying flies on. Of course it would be turned off while actually fishing. I think you guys answered that for me, thanks.
I've worn a headlamp for night fishing several times. F&W visited me at Dickson Dam and had nothing to say, but it was off while i was actually fishing.

Cheers
Old 08-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I've worn a headlamp for night fishing several times. F&W visited me at Dickson Dam and had nothing to say, but it was off while i was actually fishing.

Cheers
Thanks! I've heard there's some monstrous pike at Dickson Dam caught really late at night. I thought I remember seeing a gate at the top entrance. Do they lock that at night or no?
Old 08-17-2017, 12:58 PM

What Dragless and Professori said. Can't use a spotlight to attract fish, etc. Light to help you see to tie on flies, etc. no problem.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I've heard there's some monstrous pike at Dickson Dam caught really late at night. I thought I remember seeing a gate at the top entrance. Do they lock that at night or no?
I'm not sure which gate you're referring, but you can park on the west side of the river in the parking lot (where the building is) and walk around. There's a gate there for workers to drive in, but there's an opening to walk to the dam. Or, you can drive over the dam, and park on the east side of the river, and walk to the river there.

I've fished both sides, I prefer the west side myself.

Big pike, browns (if you're lucky enough to get one) and good sized walleye as well.

Cheers
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm not sure which gate you're referring, but you can park on the west side of the river in the parking lot (where the building is) and walk around. There's a gate there for workers to drive in, but there's an opening to walk to the dam. Or, you can drive over the dam, and park on the east side of the river, and walk to the river there.

I've fished both sides, I prefer the west side myself.

Big pike, browns (if you're lucky enough to get one) and good sized walleye as well.

Cheers
Thanks!
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Use a light with a red color or lense so it doesn't ruin your night vision.

Night fishing is weird. All your senses (except sight) are on heightened awareness. A chipmunk in the wood sounds like an elephant coming.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
Use a light with a red color or lense so it doesn't ruin your night vision.

Night fishing is weird. All your senses (except sight) are on heightened awareness. A chipmunk in the wood sounds like an elephant coming.
Unfortunately, because it was night, you can only hope it was a chipmunk.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Unfortunately, because it was night, you can only hope it was a chipmunk.
My husky was needled twice at Dickson - same night. She wished it was a chipmunk.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Everything sounds bigger at night!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:46 AM

I bought a pelican waterproof AND glow in the dark flashlight to leave in my truck. Went out on the Bow in the city last week and had it in my waders to help me find my way back to the truck. It got dark and the fishing really turned on and I landed an awesome fat Brown. I pulled my camera out of my wader pocket and caught the flashlight and it fell into a couple feet of water while pitch black out...

Moral of the story...if you're bringing a flashlight and not a headlamp, waterproof and glow-in-the-dark features are lifesavers!
Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Absolutely no reason to be out there sneaking around at night when there is good shows on the TV. Nothing to see here.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Absolutely no reason to be out there sneaking around at night when there is good shows on the TV. Nothing to see here.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Nothing wrong with having a headlamp on your forehead when fishing as long as it is turned off when your line is in the water.

Nothing like night fishing though. Especially on the warmest days.

P.S. the smart ones don't attract the fish with a headlamp but a fire by the shore