Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Default Why not?

They wouldn't lol[/QUOTE]

What with the Lol? Why wouldn't they refund your points?
It's not like snow is keeping a guy from reaching his chosen destination. It's SRD selling you a permit to hunt a specific zone, then telling you you cannot hunt/access the zone. I fully understand the fire concerns, point refund seems like the only legal thing they can do.
Hunters need to be tougher on these things.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Someone has their cowboy hat on too tight.
It's dry, we don't need anymore hot air.
So in an earlier post you are mad because aep might utilize tools to perform an important enforcement job, now your mad because a rancher might use a tool to perform thier job. Whats next Ron, mad because the airlines are allowed to fly planes over that country? Anything you disgustingly see as somehow a demented direct outright challenge to you and what you deem as yours, should be vehemently attacked irregardless how insane your fight is. You have got to be the most decorated dirt bag in the history of said. Get a life

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
So in an earlier post you are mad because aep might utilize tools to perform an important enforcement job, now your mad because a rancher might use a tool to perform thier job. Whats next Ron, mad because the airlines are allowed to fly planes over that country? Anything you disgustingly see as somehow a demented direct outright challenge to you and what you deem as yours, should be vehemently attacked irregardless how insane your fight is. You have got to be the most decorated dirt bag in the history of said. Get a life
Yes it's dry. Thanks for your input once again.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Yes it's dry. Thanks for your input once again.
Yes it is dry. Thank you for more insight into another day in the life of, lolol

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Wouldnt surprise me if the Forest Reserve { 400 units } got shutdown for access by hunting season .
Like this at Williams Lake? Hope not.

Quote:

UPDATED: Full Backcountry Closure in Effect for the Cariboo until September 5
All Crown land within the Cariboo Fire Centre is effectively closed to public access due to the continued extreme fire danger and the sheer number of active of wildfires throughout the region.

The BC Wildfire Service made the announcement Friday afternoon.

Allison Martin is the Fire Information Officer with the Central Cariboo Area Command.

“The last thing that the Fire Service needs is more fires to start. So we’re just asking people to take precaution, make sure that they’re not doing activities which could spark another fire and stretch our already stretched resources even further. So this ban is to potentially stop any new starts from happening.”

The restriction according to Chief Fire Information Officer Kevin Skrepnek does not apply to commercial operators or commercial businesses including Barkerville Historic Town & Park.

High winds are expected over the next few days which could result in considerable growth for the wildfires.

The order will remain in effect until September 5, 2017.

“It will certainly be lifted earlier if conditions allow,” says Skrepnek. “That’s totally going to depend on fire activity and what the ongoing level of danger is to the public.”

The area restriction order means that a person must not remain in or enter the restricted area without the prior written authorization of an official designated for the purposes of the Wildfire Act, unless the person:

Enters the area only in the course of:
(a) Travelling to or from his or her principle residence;
(b) Using a highway as defined in the Highway Act;
(c) Travelling as a person acting in an official capacity; or
(d) Travelling for the purpose of supporting wildfire suppression activities.

The Cariboo Fire Centre stretches from Loon Lake (near Clinton) in the south to the Cottonwood River (near Quesnel) in the north and from Tweedsmuir Provincial Park in the west to Wells Gray Provincial Park in the east.
http://www.mycariboonow.com/23169/ba...unced-cariboo/
Old 08-11-2017, 04:47 PM

I'm a bit naive on this topic, but I finally drew my trophy antelope tag this year. Why would the dry weather affect walk in access to lease land?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I'm a bit naive on this topic, but I finally drew my trophy antelope tag this year. Why would the dry weather affect walk in access to lease land?
Cause people are idiots and can't be trusted to not accidentally start a wildfire.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really, you can't figure this out.
Just the kind we don't need in the backwoods right now, seemingly oblivious to how many wildfires are caused by humans.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Gone Hunting

The bad thing is that our last real solid drought was back in the early 2000's. We've all for the most part been walking in pretty high cotton ever since. Being around that 18 to 20 year mark we could be due for a 3 to 5 year dry spell. Old boys say somewhere in around that kind of cycle, and i think they are about on the money.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Yup

We might be in for a cycle.....
I been around long enough to remember the last dry spells.

Just heading to Edmonton right now.... this area sure looks nice and green
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-11-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Really, you can't figure this out.
Just the kind we don't need in the backwoods right now, seemingly oblivious to how many wildfires are caused by humans.
What are you talking about? I want foot access on lease land in south eastern Alberta for hunting. What does that have to do with wildfire risk? Just don't allow camping or fires which is a common approved leasholder condition anyways.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 PM

I could see the worry about people smoking on you're lease. I'm not a smoker so that's never something I think about right aways.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I could see the worry about people smoking on you're lease. I'm not a smoker so that's never something I think about right aways.
They can't take risks. People smoke, litter glass beer bottles, bullets hit rocks, drop their glasses, think they can make "just a real little fire" to heat up some food.... if it were my property and I don't know you or know someone who does..... you'd be SOL and I'm actually a pretty trusting guy.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Yeah I understand. I know I'm responsible, but everyone needs to be responsible and lots of people are careless.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Banned

In my experience the deer grow bigger antlers when it is dry/drought. You just have to be careful.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Hasn't stopped raining in Edmonton for 2 weeks. Only finally have we had a decent week. Wet up here
Old 08-11-2017, 09:49 PM

We've had about 12 inches of rain since the beginning of July, 1/2 north of Westlock. Water laying everywhere and mosquitos big as birds.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I want foot access on lease land in south eastern Alberta for hunting. What does that have to do with wildfire risk? Just don't allow camping or fires which is a common approved leasholder condition anyways.
Good luck with that!!!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:44 PM

Well here's to hoping for some rain. Seems like Boone and Crockett bucks are easier to predict than the weather LOL 😂
Old 08-12-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Like this at Williams Lake? Hope not.

http://www.mycariboonow.com/23169/ba...unced-cariboo/
Just saying , it's been closed before .
Old 08-12-2017, 07:08 AM

Default Fire

More periodic fires would keep the prairies safer in these really dry years, but us humans move in and build houses and ranches and put out every fire that pops up. Only makes sense that the fuel grows. The problem won't go away, telling a specific user group they aren't allowed somewhere isn't the answer. Majority of fires, city or rural, are unintentional by the owner or a neighbor. Fire load growns uncontrolled, Fires happen, people lose things, and we rebuild. That's how it works. When was the last destructive South East Fire?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Yup

We might be in for a cycle.....
I been around long enough to remember the last dry spells.

Just heading to Edmonton right now.... this area sure looks nice and green
Edmonton and surrounding central AB region has been getting a lot of rain all spring and summer. I heard we are one of the few areas in Canada getting any real moisture at all. I have been out a lot in different areas within 120 kms of Edm this summer and the sloughs haven't been this full or the bush so thick since the 70's. Incredible year for mushrooms and berries. The thunderstorms and rainstorms that seem to move in on an almost daily basis has played hell with fishing trip plans.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
They wouldn't lol
It's not like snow is keeping a guy from reaching his chosen destination. It's SRD selling you a permit to hunt a specific zone, then telling you you cannot hunt/access the zone. I fully understand the fire concerns, point refund seems like the only legal thing they can do.
Hunters need to be tougher on these things.[/QUOTE]

Interesting point about losing 10-12 years of waiting for to draw for a tag from the govt. and then not being allowed into the specific area by the govt. Don't want to derail this weather thread so will start a new one.

EDIT... I just checked the the fire ban info for southeren AB, and it is not near as strict as some of you make it out to be. Sounds like people still have access to parks, crown land, and private property.
I still feel bad for my SIL who has waited 12 years to got his Trophy Antelope tag for 150, 151 & 152 this Sept. Sounds like he might be in tough when it comes to access.

Last edited by waterninja; 08-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdales View Post
Yup, I have been talking with a few ranchers in the South and they all said they have talked to AEP about not allowing any access for hunting SEPT-OCT if the dry conditions keep up. Hopefully wont affect my draw for November.
Are you talking about private ranches or leased ranches? A privately owned ranch wouldn't need to talk to AEP about allowing access I would think.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You reading this thread at all...?
Ft McLoed?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:10 PM

..... stop it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Hunters need to be tougher on these things.
Interesting point about losing 10-12 years of waiting for to draw for a tag from the govt. and then not being allowed into the specific area by the govt. Don't want to derail this weather thread so will start a new one.

EDIT... I just checked the the fire ban info for southeren AB, and it is not near as strict as some of you make it out to be. Sounds like people still have access to parks, crown land, and private property.
I still feel bad for my SIL who has waited 12 years to got his Trophy Antelope tag for 150, 151 & 152 this Sept. Sounds like he might be in tough when it comes to access.[/QUOTE]

That's the chance you take when you apply, and if you don't like it then don't apply. What's not so strict about a fire ban. A fire ban means NO FIRES, and for the record a fire ban has nothing to do with restricting access. The access restriction is up to the land owners and the lease holder (AEP)
Old 08-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because if you start a fire, the lease holder is responsible for the expenses of putting it out.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
More periodic fires would keep the prairies safer in these really dry years, but us humans move in and build houses and ranches and put out every fire that pops up. Only makes sense that the fuel grows. The problem won't go away, telling a specific user group they aren't allowed somewhere isn't the answer. Majority of fires, city or rural, are unintentional by the owner or a neighbor. Fire load growns uncontrolled, Fires happen, people lose things, and we rebuild. That's how it works. When was the last destructive South East Fire?
This is an incredibly uninformed, cavalier statement. You should talk to the boys at the pinhorn about this
Old 08-12-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post

I still feel bad for my SIL who has waited 12 years to got his Trophy Antelope tag for 150, 151 & 152 this Sept. Sounds like he might be in tough when it comes to access.
That's the chance you take when you apply, and if you don't like it then don't apply. What's not so strict about a fire ban. A fire ban means NO FIRES, and for the record a fire ban has nothing to do with restricting access. The access restriction is up to the land owners and the lease holder (AEP)[/QUOTE]

So if you book a flight and the airline cancels it you say "ah geez guys, no problem, stuff happens, guess that's the risk I take when I purchase your product"?
I've had zones closed South of the border and without my involvement a letter arrived apologizing for the closure, your points have been returned and here are your funds back. Now doesn't that just seem like the "Right way" to handle this?
If the threat of fire is that bad then absolutely, do what needs doing, but there doesn't need to be any victims here.