Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Our tv's have played second fiddle to our home theatre for the past few years (on my second projector setup and love it). However, I would say you have to consider Vizio in the mix. They turned the North American market on it's head when they came out (via their competitive pricing). A 65" 4K at Costco runs $1200'ish I believe, and should compete well with entry level sets from other manufacturers.
I would run far & fast from Vizio, had to return 2 of these things to Costco before the 90 day Costco warranty expired. One would shut off bu itself, other one had pic issues, 65 inch 4K. Customer Service said it is the TV they see the most returns of.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:19 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the 58" Panasonic TC58EX750 2017 model today at Visions. It originally retailed for $2600 then Panasonic initiated an end of year price drop to $1688 and the sales associate knocked another $200 off that. I bought the 5yr full protection plan for $300, which if I don't use (and Visions is still around in 2022 ) I can use it as store credit. I did this with a previous purchase with them and it worked out well.

It was down to the 55" LG OLED ($2400), 55" Samsung QLED (2,200) and the 58" Panny. They all looked absolutely stunning (but then again my last TV purchase was over 7 years ago.) IMHO, the OLED looked only slightly better, although it was by far the best for off angle. I'm a little skeptical of the build quality of the LG and the mounting brackets were on the bottom third of the unit which wouldn't have worked out for placement over the fireplace. The QLED, although quite nice, seems like a marketing ploy as it's still an LED and the non sale price was $3,800 which is outrageous.

I hope to get it set up soon and will post my impressions.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:33 PM

I think I’m going to buy from visions as well. I’ll see what kind of package they can put together (tv, sound bar, digital optical audio, HDMI cables)
Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I think I’m going to buy from visions as well. I’ll see what kind of package they can put together (tv, sound bar, digital optical audio, HDMI cables)
They have a kit that includes digital optical cable, 4K HDMI cable, power bar/surge suppressor and screen cleaning kit. The sales guy said it retails for $140 but he would give it to me for $40. I have all those things so didn't go for it, but at $40, it's not a bad price.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM

You'll get a lot more mileage and ROI out of a new regional library card. Very likely will save a lot of brain cells too. - Assuming the screen is intended to be plugged into the MSM (main-stream media), so they can put you in your place with advertising and the politically-correct programming so prevalent these days.

However, if it's to display your own photographic ambitions, I concur with a previous suggestion of getting a second-generation unit to avoid bleeding-edge instabilities.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
You'll get a lot more mileage and ROI out of a new regional library card. Very likely will save a lot of brain cells too. - Assuming the screen is intended to be plugged into the MSM (main-stream media), so they can put you in your place with advertising and the politically-correct programming so prevalent these days.

However, if it's to display your own photographic ambitions, I concur with a previous suggestion of getting a second-generation unit to avoid bleeding-edge instabilities.
Why do TV haters with nothing to add always butt into these discussions?

Put out your candle and go to bed
Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 PM

Last year I wanted an OLED LG but just couldnt swing it. Ended up with a regualar led which isnt as good as a good old school plasma, but we got used to it and it is fine.

That being said, that was a year ago and now OLED is your friend..it is what I would buy without a doubt.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you using a digital optical AND an HDMI? The HDMI is both audio and video?
I’m currently using a Samsung 55 “ 4 k tv (ks8500) with a Yamaha atmos receiver with klipsch rp 280 speakers and an svs sub in a 7.1.2 configuration, only using HDMI cables ... system rocks , atmos is so cool , house rattles lol, better than the big theatre lol
Old 10-24-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Out of curiosity, why are you using a digital optical AND an HDMI? The HDMI is both audio and video?
I’m currently using a Samsung 55 “ 4 k tv (ks8500) with a Yamaha atmos receiver with klipsch rp 280 speakers and an svs sub in a 7.1.2 configuration, only using HDMI cables ... system rocks , atmos is so cool , house rattles lol, better than the big theatre lol
If you don't go with a receiver, you can use the digital audio out on the TV to connect to a speaker bar forgoing the receiver completely. If your TV has 3 or more HDMI ports you can connect cable box, computer, game console, etc directly with HDMI and run all sound (via ARC) through TV to speaker bar. Although if you want 5.1 or 7.1 surround then the receiver is the way to go...

Nice setup BTW, the KS8500 is as good as the "new" QLED's Samsung is trying to rebrand for 2017.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Actually I just checked ... if you want to enjoy Dolby Atmos at some point, it is only compatible with HDMI not optical / coaxial ...don’t need optical cables any more really ... would imagine most new electronic all come with HDMI

Also, you can find excellent quality cables for a fraction of the cost they charge you at visions / Best Buy etc ... don’t need $100 cables ... rip off
Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Ah, sound bars don’t have HDMI ? Never used one ... also I see there is a new atmos sound bar coming out ... might be worth it to check out

And ... really happy with the tv. Have had it for a year now, no issues, pictures great. Have the curved version, which I actually like. Paid $2100 last November for it. ( actually I have one regret ... should have got the 65” lol )
Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Ah, sound bars don’t have HDMI ? Never used one ... also I see there is a new atmos sound bar coming out ... might be worth it to check out

And ... really happy with the tv. Have had it for a year now, no issues, pictures great. Have the curved version, which I actually like. Paid $2100 last November for it. ( actually I have one regret ... should have got the 65” lol )
Yeah, most sound bars still run only on digital optical or cable. I have the Vizio 42inch sound bar in the bedroom and it's great for that space. My main TV area has 5.1 with Harmon Kardon receiver. That's where the new TV is going.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:16 PM
Banned

Here’s a couple things to consider.

The best time of year to buy a TV is in late January. The Consumer Electronics show ends Jan 12 this year and when all the corporate buyers return they start trimming inventory down to make room for the new shiny.

Avoid the new shiny. You will pay a significant premium for the latest buzz word trendy whatever it is. Sometimes the manufacturers will pick a somewhat relevant feature like the refresh rate and then fall all over themselves to put a bigger misleading number on the box than the next guy. But sometimes the new shiny is just stupid too, remember 3D TVs? This year it’s going to be all about HDR.

I still don’t like the Smart TV concept. The underlying technology is moving too fast and your display should have a much longer life than the “smart” bits. My current TV is a Samsung smart that I used exactly once before I plugged my Apple TV in. Given the huge amount of options under $100 like the chrome cast, roku and fire tv I just don’t see the point of tying yourself to the built in. Tough to avoid buying one now but don’t be surprised if you aren’t using it in 6 months.

Match your TV to your content. There’s no point in buying a fancy 4K HDR tv if it’s going to be plugged into a 3 year old Shaw box. If you’re going to buy a new Apple TV and only want to watch their HDR content then giver but don’t pay a premium now for a feature you can’t use for 2 years.

If you paid more than $6 for an HDMI cable then you overpaid. I can’t understand why the fancy cable thing lingers but it’s absolute bs. Margins on TVs are super thin, retailers are making their profits on overpriced cables and ridiculous warranties.

I would keep an eye out for a Samsung MU6100 on sale. You should be able to find one for about 1k. It’s not as nice as the LG C7 but that C7 will be about 1k in 2 years.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
The optical cord would be for the sound bar, and then HDMI for the cable box, and another for my Xbox one.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Why do TV haters with nothing to add always butt into these discussions?

Put out your candle and go to bed
Sorry to go slightly off topic here but, That's awesome.

"Put out the candle and go to bed"... I'm stealing that.

Perfect.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:11 AM

I am a happy boy tonight, fixed my sharp aquos! 2 months before extended warranty ran out 3 years ago it died and they fixed it. A couple weeks ago it died again. I called the place that changed out the T conn board, and ordered the same thing from EBay. $100 and a week later my awesome TV is going strong again! Took all of 10 minutes to change out the board.
Now I'm taking back the far inferior lg 65" that I just bought for 2g, ridiculous that my old TV has a far better picture and sound.
The only thing that will ever replace the aquos is an Oled.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-25-2017, 05:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am a happy boy tonight, fixed my sharp aquos! 2 months before extended warranty ran out 3 years ago it died and they fixed it. A couple weeks ago it died again. I called the place that changed out the T conn board, and ordered the same thing from EBay. $100 and a week later my awesome TV is going strong again! Took all of 10 minutes to change out the board.
Now I'm taking back the far inferior lg 65" that I just bought for 2g, ridiculous that my old TV has a far better picture and sound.
The only thing that will ever replace the aquos is an Oled.
So ken what your saying tech wise is you adjusted the rabbit ears and the third channel came in? Back to three Chanels

I had the improvise and added a coat hanger to the rabbit ears....the ol'zenith is still kicking!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...