Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2022, 07:48 AM

Default Alberta Blue Cross

So I will try and make a long story short.

Back on Sep 15, 2021, due to a physical illness, had to get an ambulance to transport me to the Rocky hospital. Prior to the departure from my house, I gave one of the paramedic my Alberta Health Care card, along with my Blue Cross #. Ambulance cost is covered under them. Of course, I assumed at the time that all would be taken care of.

Couple of days ago, I received an "unpaid" invoice, dated Feb 09, 2022, from the ambulance service?? Almost six months after the fact. So I called them early afternoon, and left a message.

Yesterday morning, since I never got a reply yet, I called them again, and this time got a human. I explained my situation, and advised that they had forwarded the invoice to Blue Cross, and same was "rejected". They could not give me a reason. I questioned them why it took so long for them to notify me about the outstanding invoice, and they could not provide a satisfactory explanation.

So then I called Blue Cross. Because of "high volumes of calls" it would be awhile to get a "human". After 25 minutes of waiting, I gave up. I then went into their website to find out I could email them. Again though, there was a note about high volumes, and it would take awhile for a reply. So I sent one, and will now patiently wait for a reply.

I have been on Blue Cross for over 40 years. Only used them once about 28 years ago for an ambulance claim. No problems then. I will update whenever I hear back.

Anyone else had similar issues with them? If so, were they resolved satisfactorily?

Thanx...
Old 03-25-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
So I will try and make a long story short.

Back on Sep 15, 2021, due to a physical illness, had to get an ambulance to transport me to the Rocky hospital. Prior to the departure from my house, I gave one of the paramedic my Alberta Health Care card, along with my Blue Cross #. Ambulance cost is covered under them. Of course, I assumed at the time that all would be taken care of.

Couple of days ago, I received an "unpaid" invoice, dated Feb 09, 2022, from the ambulance service?? Almost six months after the fact. So I called them early afternoon, and left a message.

Yesterday morning, since I never got a reply yet, I called them again, and this time got a human. I explained my situation, and advised that they had forwarded the invoice to Blue Cross, and same was "rejected". They could not give me a reason. I questioned them why it took so long for them to notify me about the outstanding invoice, and they could not provide a satisfactory explanation.

So then I called Blue Cross. Because of "high volumes of calls" it would be awhile to get a "human". After 25 minutes of waiting, I gave up. I then went into their website to find out I could email them. Again though, there was a note about high volumes, and it would take awhile for a reply. So I sent one, and will now patiently wait for a reply.

I have been on Blue Cross for over 40 years. Only used them once about 28 years ago for an ambulance claim. No problems then. I will update whenever I hear back.

Anyone else had similar issues with them? If so, were they resolved satisfactorily?

Thanx...

Blue cross is nothing but an insurance provider. And all insurance providers pay a lot of money to have staff to ensure they don't have to pay out unless they absolutely have too.

from what I've read and heard, blue cross is trying to not pay even more than before
Old 03-25-2022, 08:16 AM
Banned

Default Maybe for larger families

Four or five years ago I needed an ambulance for a 60km trip into a Saskatoon hospital. I was still insured by Alberta Blue Cross. I was required to write a cheque to cover the $1200.00 invoice soon after which was promptly refunded. When I reached 65 my ABC coverage was dropped due to my age and retirement benefits so I reapplied and got the retirement version. After two years I dropped the policy because I was spending about $2500.00 in premiums and getting a couple of hundred in benefits. I now bank the $219.00 premium and pay for my health care needs out of pocket. Saskatchewan has a drug plan for seniors which has been helpful in my wife's needs for pharmaceuticals but the dental thing has cost me a bit of cash

The people on the phone were not the least bit helpful and seemed to encourage me to discontinue business with their firm.

Free(but not)
Old 03-25-2022, 09:06 AM

I had the same situation as you Phil about six years ago. When I got the ambulance invoice I phoned Blue Cross, gave them the particulars and they looked after it right away. Apparently the ambulance company had submitted the claim improperly and therefore rejected.

I would hope once you do get a "human" to talk to it will be straightened out quickly.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Banned

Phil ......2021
Jim ......2016....????? oranges and apples
Old 03-25-2022, 09:42 AM

Can someone more knowledgeable break down how ambulance services are carried out?

The prices below seem like what they should be imo:

Ambulance attendants (x2) @ $35hr = say $100
Gas($100)/service fee's,etc($100)/truck usage($100)

So I'm around the $500 mark..where are they coming up with these $1500 charges per trip thefts?

Back in 1988 my mom needed a 30km trip, that bill was just under $900, was the same theft then as it is now.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:57 AM

There is more to an ambulance ride than a couple of folk's wages and fuel.

- Dispatch service
- Price of the ambulance amortized over the life of the vehicle
- Vehicle maintenance
- Clean-up afterwards (gotta sterilize everything)
- Supplies and re-stocking

Pretty easy to rack up $1200-$1500

Regarding ABC, it's a provincially funded health care plan for drugs/services that are not covered by healthcare. Carefully review your plan policy regarding ambulance rides. The policy will specifically state what or what proportion is covered.

ABC will have a copy of the invoice for the ambulance ride. Speaking with them to resolve the difference between the invoice and your coverage should be straight forward.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
There is more to an ambulance ride than a couple of folk's wages and fuel.

- Dispatch service
- Price of the ambulance amortized over the life of the vehicle
- Vehicle maintenance
- Clean-up afterwards (gotta sterilize everything)
- Supplies and re-stocking..
Could you break down the above pittman?
Seems a taxi service could apply much of the above also..
Old 03-25-2022, 10:06 AM

The MIL had cancer last March and had to take an ambulance from Lloyd to Saskatoon for a biopsy. She was too weak to walk so that was the only option. They drove her there, waited 2hr, drove back to Lloyd, turned around a couple hours later and picked her up. Bill was just over $3k. She had AB Blue Cross through work but was a SK resident and the ambulance service was SK based. They rejected the 1st bill. I called and they said they seem to always reject the first time when it’s out of province. She said re-submit and dispute it. We did and they paid the bill.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:39 AM

Ok.

After about 1.5 hours on the phone with Blue Cross and service provider...

Again, long story short...

Prior to Feb 02,2022, my Blue Cross coverage was administered by Medavie(VAC). I turned 65 last January, and now administered by Alberta Blue Cross. Ambulance coverage is included.

The Ambulance Service sent the invoice to the wrong place, thereby the rejection. Apologies were rendered and all is good. Invoice has now been forwarded to the right place, and will be dealt with accordingly.

And since the rate question was asked, my invoice was documented as:

Basic Rate: $385.00
Mileage: 48 kms at $0.00/km

So total was: $385.00
Old 03-25-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ok.

Prior to Feb 02,2022, my Blue Cross coverage was administered by Medavie(VAC). I turned 65 last January, and now administered by Alberta Blue Cross. Ambulance coverage is included.

The Ambulance Service sent the invoice to the wrong place, thereby the rejection. Apologies were rendered and all is good. Invoice has now been forwarded to the right place, and will be dealt with accordingly.

I paid 385 also end of last summer. cabbed it home after a couple hours in the hospital. gave the taxi a 2 dollar tip. total cost by cab 7.00. next time I cab it. 2 years ago had to ride from work to Brooks hospital then on to the Foothills in Calgary. really happy work had to pay that bill!
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2022, 11:29 AM

Along those lines, my GF had to deal with a similar incident. She resolved it by going to this link https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...tfeedback.aspx

There is also a link to the ombudsman on that page if you don't get the results you expect.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-25-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Phil ......2021
Jim ......2016....????? oranges and apples
How so???
Old 03-25-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Ok.

Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes these sort of issues can get more than just a little frustrating.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I paid 385 also end of last summer. cabbed it home after a couple hours in the hospital. gave the taxi a 2 dollar tip. total cost by cab 7.00. next time I cab it. 2 years ago had to ride from work to Brooks hospital then on to the Foothills in Calgary. really happy work had to pay that bill!
Hospital to hospital transfers are covered by alberta health.
You do not pay for this service.
I have taken many ambulances from the Rocky and Rimbey hospitals to Red Deer hospital, as well as from Red Deer Hospital to Foothills hospital.
NO charge.
YOu only pay if you need a ambulance to bring you to the hospital.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Sounds like you're suggesting an ambulance ride is the same as a taxi ride? Or am I reading too much into it?

What medical care do you get in a taxi?
Old 03-25-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Got a better idea. Call up your boy Kenny. Tell him you have an idea to save some money - that you want to replace all the ambulance drivers with Uber drivers.

Medical care is that simple right?

Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-25-2022, 01:42 PM
Banned

How much do the junkies pay when they overdose and 911 is called
Asking for a friend?
Old 03-25-2022, 02:02 PM

I've seen plenty of hard-up folks get hit with fees for an ambulance ride. It's too bad that it's not covered to be honest.

Tell me, what's worse - your prejudice towards a person's disease, or that you think all people don't deserve the same care?

Err, sorry. I mean for your friend.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:00 PM

When driving taxi in Edmonton (in the 70s) I had several medical emergency fares. One guy I picked up one block from UofA hospital was having a heart attack. I said easy trip but no - he insisted on going to the Royal Alex hospital! Traffic was light so he was still alive at the er

Not a big tipper either.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
How much do the junkies pay when they overdose and 911 is called
Asking for a friend?
Pretty simple answer. We all pay except the over dosing junky. They get free ride and a clean place to stay. They don't need any coverage.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:19 AM

Just found out Blue Cross has not been covering my heart medication. What the H do we have insurance for, just to give companies money $$ each month. Had major problem with Sun Life before, they are All robbers.