Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 08:20 AM

Default Thoughts on this reply from a leaseholder?

What do you think of this reply I got from a lease holder when I sent an email asking for permission to hunt the lease.

Quote:
Hello and thank you for your interest in hunting GRL *****. While access is certainly not limited to those seeking permission through CLAS, your chances of being accommodated to your specific request are much, much higher when you seek permission through CLAS. To do so, please click the following link:

https://canadianlandaccess.com/search/index?

This is where you will find all the information you will need.

For those of you who do not want to use CLAS, please reply to this automated email and list 3 reasons why your time is more important than ours. Then list 3 days (no more than 14 days out) you are seeking access for. This email is only checked once a week during hunting season, so it is entirely possible that you could be waiting an entire 7 days for a reply, as opposed to CLAS which is instantaneous. Additionally, due to the large volume of hunters, only those who are approved will be contacted. If no contact has been made, then assume we are full, or cattle are on the lease, or there is a fire ban.

Thanks,

Ranchers name
Ranch name
I bolded the part that threw me off. Basically he saying use CLAS or pizz off. This is the way that lease holders are going to deny access to public lands during the season.

This makes me want to send a snarky reply back or go to the agrologist for the area and ask for clarification on how this leaseholder is allowed to force people to sign up and pay for a third party system to access public land.

All the other lease holders I contacted were super friendly and some granted me access.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:51 AM
Banned

You let him know when you were going to be there and he acknowledged your email. Go ahead and hunt.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
You let him know when you were going to be there and he acknowledged your email. Go ahead and hunt.
Sorry but your reply is not correct. There may be cattle, fire restrictions or other conditions which may prevent access...

Being a lease holder this time of the year is not a fun job.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
This right here is where the problems lies. As long as attitudes like this remain, nothing will change
Old 09-03-2022, 10:15 AM

Forward that to the responsible agrologist and your MLA

Being a lease holder may not be fun, but fun wasn’t in the job description and they all signed up. Be fair with public access to public lands, or go get a job in town.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
This right here is where the problems lies. As long as attitudes like this remain, nothing will change
Telling me to pay for access if the problem. If there was cattle or anything else that was prevelant, the lease holder would have mentioned it, telling me "pay for a program to contact me" is not a valid excuse to deny
Old 09-03-2022, 10:28 AM
Banned

Uhhhh anyone notice all the combines in the fields these days???
Ya they are busy right now
If you want to access these leases
Play by their rules or look somewhere else
Pretty easy
Old 09-03-2022, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Uhhhh anyone notice all the combines in the fields these days???
Ya they are busy right now
If you want to access these leases
Play by their rules or look somewhere else
Pretty easy
They can't impose their own rules that circumvent the law. "There's cows on the lease" or "There's a fire hazard" are legitimate concerns and grounds for denial. "Pay for access" is not a legitimate reason. Lol
Old 09-03-2022, 11:04 AM

It’s like a toll bridge.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
They can't impose their own rules that circumvent the law. "There's cows on the lease" or "There's a fire hazard" are legitimate concerns and grounds for denial. "Pay for access" is not a legitimate reason. Lol
Your not paying the farmer to access the land
Your paying for the service that manages the access

If $9/month is too much then its best to stick to getting permission on deeded land, hunting crown land, or buying your own land
Old 09-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

If $9/month is too much then its best to stick to getting permission on deeded land, hunting crown land, or buying your own land
If managing access on leased land is too much of a task, then maybe all Leased land should be foot access only, Province wide, from October 1st through to March 31, by order of the Alberta Government. And if that doesn't work for lease holders than they can purchase Deeded land to conduct their business.

It works both ways
Old 09-03-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
If managing access on leased land is too much of a task, then maybe all Leased land should be foot access only, Province wide, from October 1st through to March 31, by order of the Alberta Government. And if that doesn't work for lease holders than they can purchase Deeded land to conduct their business.

It works both ways
While I 100% agree with the sentiment…

You don’t want to have that conversation with a conservative government in power. They would happily sell it all for pennies and end hunting as we know it. A lot of these ranchers have strings into the UCP old boys club.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Man you never stop with the pay to play schemes. Go hunt antlered livestock on a Texas high fenced crap hole and leave the rest of us alone
Old 09-03-2022, 01:21 PM

Irritates me to no end. First it is not their land. They lease it for pennies on the dollar and t hen on top of that can collect land access fee's from oil companies that want to drill or even spit on the land. There are a few out in the east end that have collected hundreds of thousands each year for their careful stuwardship of the land. LOL

It is unlawful to charge or offer to pay for hunting access so by selling an app for so much a month they are skirting that law IMHO

I had one years ago tell me I could hunt on "our" land but foot only. No big deal for me but then he said if you kill a deer it will cost you a hundred for me to drive in and load it.

Some times I am glad i cannot hunt any more (vision) but that only lasts for a second or two. Man I miss hunting.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Man you never stop with the pay to play schemes. Go hunt antlered livestock on a Texas high fenced crap hole and leave the rest of us alone
Get real
Farmers are busy and have lives too
Did you see that ucp leadership candidates are going to push for less access to grazing leases?
Every year there is less and less access available, can you blame them?
Old 09-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:

It works both ways
How much do you pay to use lease land?
Old 09-03-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Being a lease holder may not be fun, but fun wasn’t in the job description and they all signed up. Be fair with public access to public lands, or go get a job in town.
Exactly.

I get it that they are farmers, but if they want to be dictators they should use their own land for grazing.

We own it as much as them, and we are subsidizing their operation through our taxes.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:43 PM

Not that I agree with their handling of hunting on the lease but it’s not restricting access. This sounds like they have had too many hunter annoy them and are not restricting access but instead trying to push all access through CLAS

There is no doubt in my mind these people deal with all kinds of idiots and it wears on them too.

I would likely loose my mind dealing with the bad/rude portion of hunters when it comes to access if I had a lease. Just by reading some of the posts here I could just imagine the range in attitudes they deal with
Old 09-03-2022, 01:46 PM
Banned

You want to know how you can almost guarantee to get access to that farmers land
Call him up and ask him if there’s anything that he needs a hand with this weekend
Old 09-03-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Get real
Farmers are busy and have lives too
Did you see that ucp leadership candidates are going to push for less access to grazing leases?
Every year there is less and less access available, can you blame them?

Not all lease holders are farmers

Lease holders have to accept the fact that others may want access.

If they cannot make time to deal with people requesting access then they should give up their lease to someone who will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You want to know how you can almost guarantee to get access to that farmers land
Call him up and ask him if there’s anything that he needs a hand with this weekend

That would be fairly close to paying to hunt.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
He's not asking to access the Farmers land, he's asking to access the lease land.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
That would be fairly close to paying to hunt.

No it wouldn’t
It’s a friendly gesture
Old 09-03-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
No it wouldn’t
It’s a friendly gesture

Or is it a trade?

Very slippery slope there bud

Old 09-03-2022, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not all lease holders are farmers

Lease holders have to accept the fact that others may want access.

If they cannot make time to deal with people requesting access then they should give up their lease to someone who will.

That’s why they sign up for clas
Which is an acceptable solution to the problem
Old 09-03-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Or is it a trade?

Exactly. It seems like a very grey area
Old 09-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Or is it a trade?

Not even close
Your proving that you can be trusted to ensure that wishes of the lease/land owner are followed.
That’s like saying that if you offered a land owner a couple of ducks after a hunt that it would be a problem??

Remember, that the prime minister fired the solicitor general. Because she wouldn’t drop the criminal bribery charges against one of his largest financial supporters. And there was nothing ethically or legally wrong with his actions
Old 09-03-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Yep. It’s public land that they are leasing to put livestock on. The conditions come with the agreement they signed that allow them to put their livestock on. They can explain why their time is more valuable then the other 5 million people in Alberta who own the land. If there are legal reasons to deny access they can take the time to reply and specify that.

If it’s private land they can do whatever they legally want. This public land they are leasing with conditions, they need to follow the conditions.

I manage to talk to you probably 100 different farmers while they are on a combine a year. It’s the worst part of waterfowling. I keep it brief and respectful. They have no problem fitting it in to their multi million extremely time sensitive harvests. Most machinery is automated now and there are cell phones.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 09-03-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:51 PM
Banned

Old 09-03-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:

And odds are this is not going to make lease access easier for hunters
Closed Thread