Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
First off l dont sky bust at birds out of range , very seldom do l cripple , and if l do the dog go,s in and gets it , guess the dog will get the tresspassing ticket then.
Problem number one is that the very act of pass shooting is difficult to do. Maybe you are a marksman BUD. With Geese at different elevations every flock, varying speeds, as well as wind drift, the computer we call a brain can not consistently select the right amount of lead to give the target every time.
People other than an extremely talented and practiced shooter, that throws thousands of rounds down the tube every year, could not help but cripple birds. Don't lie to us here and tell us that with this scenario you kill almost every bird that you shoot at. I call shenanigans on that one.

[/QUOTE]Also like l said , l have set up in fields many , many times under my home made decoys and have geese land in my face also , in fact up at youngstown one time l had a goose land right on top of my pit cover , could have grabbed it by the leg.[/QUOTE]

If you could do this then why would you want to screw up somebody else's hunt? If the landowner didn't give you permission to shoot the field they will be choked that you are sitting in the ditch "trespassing". Your dog is your property. You can't have your property on his property. Why not just send the dog into the chicken coop from the ditch to bring back a chicken. At least you don't have to buy the shells.

You also said that no way is the proper way. How about following the law. It really ticks me off when some yahoo has a sense of entitlement and will do anything to get a bird or animal.

Mish I apologize for the hijack. Any time you have a question about goose hunting feel free to PM me. I love to hunt geese and I think I do OK at it. I would love to help you out. Maybe I can even convince you to talk my wife into giving it a go.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Problem number one is that the very act of pass shooting is difficult to do. Maybe you are a marksman BUD. With Geese at different elevations every flock, varying speeds, as well as wind drift, the computer we call a brain can not consistently select the right amount of lead to give the target every time.
People other than an extremely talented and practiced shooter, that throws thousands of rounds down the tube every year, could not help but cripple birds. Don't lie to us here and tell us that with this scenario you kill almost every bird that you shoot at. I call shenanigans on that one.

Also like l said , l have set up in fields many , many times under my home made decoys and have geese land in my face also , in fact up at youngstown one time l had a goose land right on top of my pit cover , could have grabbed it by the leg.[/QUOTE]

If you could do this then why would you want to screw up somebody else's hunt? If the landowner didn't give you permission to shoot the field they will be choked that you are sitting in the ditch "trespassing". Your dog is your property. You can't have your property on his property. Why not just send the dog into the chicken coop from the ditch to bring back a chicken. At least you don't have to buy the shells.

You also said that no way is the proper way. How about following the law. It really ticks me off when some yahoo has a sense of entitlement and will do anything to get a bird or animal.

Mish I apologize for the hijack. Any time you have a question about goose hunting feel free to PM me. I love to hunt geese and I think I do OK at it. I would love to help you out. Maybe I can even convince you to talk my wife into giving it a go.[/QUOTE]

SITTING IN THE DITCH IS NOT AGAINT THE LAW, and what makes their hunt more important then mine , because they choose to work harder? , and yes l do a lot of pass shooting and hardly ever miss.
And l am not a yahooo either.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Tori

Help me understand if the way bud is hunting in the ditch is not against the law .Why are all of you knocking it picking it apart to boost your own ego in what "YOU" think is right .I have never hunted like bud or have never seen it but if he is not breaking i say good for him .

Quote:
Sitting in the ditch to sky bust them as they fly over is hit and miss at best and can turn into a nasty altercation with fellow hunters if their hunt is screwed up because someone is too lazy to do things properly. Not to mention that you are losing 90% of the experience of goose hunting.
Sky busting can also lead to wounded birds instead of quick kills because geese can be tough critters.
I havent hunted birds much but I have to say Truely its a two way street with a statement like this same could be said for the hunter in the field also wouldn't you say .
Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 AM

I was raised by the water and do most of my waterfowling over water. I live to see my dogs working in the marsh. The variety of wildlife one encounters in a field pales in comparison to a day around a lake or marsh.

Many times other hunters have told me this is uneithical and not truly hunting.

Most of the the time I have only a couple hours before or after work and just grab a dozen blocks and head to the lake. Never the slaugther of the hunting videos but gets me and the dogs out of the house and generally we bag a few birds for the pot.

As far as Bud wounding a bird, give me a break, we all use steel shot and there is plenty of hungry coyotes around. Your discription of the poor wounded goose dying a meaningless death sounds like something out of the mouth of an anti-sealer. There is more geese every year in my neck of the woods and they recieve very little hunting pressure.

I've been on several large set up field hunts and it boiled down to 45 minutes of out and out killing. Got nothing against it, just don't see any sport in it. The birds are out of their natural element and if you "do the work" they really have no chance.

To each their own. If your out ther enjoying the day with friends ,family and dogs; I'm all for it.

Sorry about the hi-jack.

If your planning on doing some practise shooting before you go (strongly recommended) remember that magnum loads of steel patern different and are much faster then cheap loads of lead. You should do at least some shooting with what you intend to shoot with.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
SITTING IN THE DITCH IS NOT AGAINT THE LAW, and what makes their hunt more important then mine , because they choose to work harder? , and yes l do a lot of pass shooting and hardly ever miss.
And l am not a yahooo either.
Sit wherever you want, I don't care. You cannot without the landowner's permission cause shot out of your shotgun to fall onto his/her land. That is trespassing. If the farmer says it is too muddy to be in the field but he/she is fine with you blasting away from the ditch then give'r.

With all of us here on this forum that shoot alot saying you hardly ever miss is laughable at best unless like I stated before you are some kind of expert and do alot of trap and skeet. If you do BUD then I am man enough to say I apologize for assuming you were not a pro.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Help me understand if the way bud is hunting in the ditch is not against the law .Why are all of you knocking it picking it apart to boost your own ego in what "YOU" think is right .I have never hunted like bud or have never seen it but if he is not breaking i say good for him .

I havent hunted birds much but I have to say Truely its a two way street with a statement like this same could be said for the hunter in the field also wouldn't you say .
Not sure what you mean by this.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I was raised by the water and do most of my waterfowling over water. I live to see my dogs working in the marsh. The variety of wildlife one encounters in a field pales in comparison to a day around a lake or marsh.

Many times other hunters have told me this is uneithical and not truly hunting.

Most of the the time I have only a couple hours before or after work and just grab a dozen blocks and head to the lake. Never the slaugther of the hunting videos but gets me and the dogs out of the house and generally we bag a few birds for the pot.

As far as Bud wounding a bird, give me a break, we all use steel shot and there is plenty of hungry coyotes around. Your discription of the poor wounded goose dying a meaningless death sounds like something out of the mouth of an anti-sealer. There is more geese every year in my neck of the woods and they recieve very little hunting pressure.

I've been on several large set up field hunts and it boiled down to 45 minutes of out and out killing. Got nothing against it, just don't see any sport in it. The birds are out of their natural element and if you "do the work" they really have no chance.

To each their own. If your out ther enjoying the day with friends ,family and dogs; I'm all for it.

Sorry about the hi-jack.

If your planning on doing some practise shooting before you go (strongly recommended) remember that magnum loads of steel patern different and are much faster then cheap loads of lead. You should do at least some shooting with what you intend to shoot with.
I see nothing wrong with setting up in a slough or pothole. The birds can be brought in with the blocks for some good shooting.

I am in no way any type of anti. That is crazy. As hunters we have a responsibility to try to kill the bird humanely. Why blast at birds just because they are there? Bring them into range and then you have a better chance to dispatch them quickly and cleanly. Why do you use the blocks? Same reason. Bring them to where you know the range.

Saying we all use steel and that it is to be blamed for wounding birds doesn't work for me. If people would pattern their shotguns and find which load works best with which choke, there would be alot less wounded birds. I found that some shells don't pattern worth a crap for me. I have found a load for my shotgun now that kills birds dead. Very few fliers and a consistent pattern out to 35 yards. The only trick to killing with the load is that you have to know the range consistently. I set my dekes so that any birds inside the dekes are inside my effective range. Takes out the guesswork. Do I wound birds? Sure, everyone will eventually wound some. I lost zero birds last season. Not one. The main reason is that I had permission to be on the land. I had to send the dog out on some very long retrieves but I was allowed to be there so I wasn't trespassing. I know that sooner or later I will also lose a bird or two but I am doing everything I can to prevent it.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned

OK,heres the scene , Mish is out scouting for birds with her uncle , their driving along a country road when they spot a flock of geese crossing the road in front of them , they look in the direction that they came from and spot another flock coming on the same flight path , uncle sees that their feeding in a field about a mile over to the south of the road , he also notices a lake where their coming from about 2 miles north of the road .
He says to Mish , lets leave the car here and we,ll run down the road and get in the ditch as we have no time to look up the landowner at this time.
They both run down the ditch and get into position where they figure their crossing , no sooner do they hunker down and they see another flock coming straight at them , now directly over their heads they both shoot ,3 geese fall in the ditch on the oposite side of the road from where their sitting , Mish runs to get them, hurry Mish ,uncle hollars , there,s more coming , after 20 minutes of non stop action , they fill their limits , and a good day is had.
You all know it is quite legal to hunt/shoot game birds with a shotgun along a road allowance , if not then you better read the rules again.
Go gettum Mish , anyway you can , legaly of course.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Sit wherever you want, I don't care. You cannot without the landowner's permission cause shot out of your shotgun to fall onto his/her land. That is trespassing. If the farmer says it is too muddy to be in the field but he/she is fine with you blasting away from the ditch then give'r.

With all of us here on this forum that shoot alot saying you hardly ever miss is laughable at best unless like I stated before you are some kind of expert and do alot of trap and skeet. If you do BUD then I am man enough to say I apologize for assuming you were not a pro.
How is it tresspassing if shot from my shotgun falls onto his/her land from the ditch , now that IS laughable , whats the farmer going to do run over and look for some 7 1/2 shot and say look , this is shot from your gun , now your in for it , HA HA aaaaaaaaaaaaaa , good grief.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Tori

Quote:
Quote:
Sitting in the ditch to sky bust them as they fly over is hit and miss at best and can turn into a nasty altercation with fellow hunters if their hunt is screwed up because someone is too lazy to do things properly. Not to mention that you are losing 90% of the experience of goose hunting.
Sky busting can also lead to wounded birds instead of quick kills because geese can be tough critters.
YOU FORGOT TO QUOTE THIS PART not sure why. thats when i said I havent hunted birds much but I have to say Truely its a two way street with a statement like yours the same could be said for the hunter in the field also for the person ditch wouldn't you say .

If bud isnt breaking the law why knock it he dose make some real good points or is it because your on the other side of the so called fence in the field Thats why you want to trash his way of hunting

Quote:
You cannot without the landowner's permission cause shot out of your shotgun to fall onto his/her land. That is trespassing.
This maybe true but until you see it happen what do you have .I will tell you the way i see it you have a guy in a ditch with his dog .
Old 05-03-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
How is it tresspassing if shot from my shotgun falls onto his/her land from the ditch , now that IS laughable , whats the farmer going to do run over and look for some 7 1/2 shot and say look , this is shot from your gun , now your in for it , HA HA aaaaaaaaaaaaaa , good grief.

Good grief is correct.
Your lack of knowledge of the Wildlife Act is actually very scary Bud.

Here it is in black and white(I added the bolding on the applicable words)

Wildlife Act
Section 38 of the Wildlife Act specifies that no person shall hunt wildlife or discharge firearms on or over occupied lands, or enter onto such lands for the purpose of doing so without the consent of the owner or occupant.

Yes by letting your shot fall on lands you do not have permission on is illegal.
Will you get busted for it every time, well most likely not, but someday in the wrong place some landowner who may have a good knowledge of the law may take you to task. Would'nt that be a PITA.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM

To say that birds aren't wounded during a field shoot is every bit as laughable. Most often in is not the bird your shooting at but a bystander that picks up some pellets in the cross fire, not unlike your "holier than thou" statement directed at Bud has irked me.

I hunt, as I stated, as the birds are returning from the field and have seen many a bird with a foot dangling or wing feathers missing.

As for steel shot; my point was not that more birds are wounded. My point was that birds of prey and other critters are not at a risk of lead poisoning should they find a wounded bird. That is why we switched to steel.

I work all week and spend Friday evening with my family. Wife drinks a bottle of wine and I look after the kids and cook super. Only break she gets. Am I too lazy "to do it the right way" because I choose not to spend the evening scouting for a field to shoot?

I have two kids who have activities they want me to attend on Saturday afternoons. Am I too lazy because I choose not to be out in a field at 4am and too tired to enjoy time with them?

I don't have the money for lay-out blinds and large spreads of big foot decoys required for successful field hunting. Should I give up hunting because I don't meet your standards?

I enjoy pass shooting-has anyone metioned shooting birds out of range is a good idea?

Point is Cowtown; your painting with a very wide brush.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Good grief is correct.
Your lack of knowledge of the Wildlife Act is actually very scary Bud.

Here it is in black and white(I added the bolding on the applicable words)

Wildlife Act
Section 38 of the Wildlife Act specifies that no person shall hunt wildlife or discharge firearms on or over occupied lands, or enter onto such lands for the purpose of doing so without the consent of the owner or occupant.

Yes by letting your shot fall on lands you do not have permission on is illegal.
Will you get busted for it every time, well most likely not, but someday in the wrong place some landowner who may have a good knowledge of the law may take you to task. Would'nt that be a PITA.
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Yes l know it states that in the regs , but its mostly applies to rifles or horizontal shooting , l,m in the ditch shooting straight up , so l,m not discharging a firearm on his land or over it , if the odd pellet lands on the other side of the fence on the way down, well ok , but the judge will laugh and throw it out of court.
What if l spit out my chaw tabaki over the fence on his land , is that tresspassing too ?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes l know it states that in the regs , but its mostly applies to rifles or horizontal shooting , l,m in the ditch shooting straight up , so l,m not discharging a firearm on his land or over it , if the odd pellet lands on the other side of the fence on the way down, well ok , but the judge will laugh and throw it out of court.
What if l spit out my chaw tabaki over the fence on his land , is that tresspassing too ?
No, it's littering BUD.
Are you 100% sure a judge will laugh it out of court?
Perhaps you'd like to confer with the Crown Council after a landowner with lots of legal knowledge , and strong plolitical ties starts ragging their back side to have you charged. What a pretty picture that does paint does'nt it. even if you did get it tossed from court how much money are you out, $5000, $10000, or more dollars, not to mention the write up in the local newspaper, and the tainting of every landowners perception as to every other hunter.
You can be part of the solution or you can be part of the problem, constantly behaving and living within a hares breath of the line dividing legal and illegal is not necessarily doing any other hunter or yourself any good.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Your point is a good one Dick, however I don't see how what Bud is doing is any different then driving the roads shooting grouse. I believe the law was more intended to protect people from stray rifle fire rather then shot gunners.

Do I think either practise is a good way to hunt? Absolutely not.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Gone Hunting

You guys don't really think you are going to teach BUD anything about hunting do you?

I would like to apologize to Mish for this mess. I'm embarrassed for the crap I've read in this thread..

Does anyone know where she could get some reasonable answers to her questions? It isn't hard to see why we don't have a bunch of new people getting into the sport.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

You guys don't really think you are going to teach BUD anything about hunting do you?

I would like to apologize to Mish for this mess. I'm embarrassed for the crap I've read in this thread..

Does anyone know where she could get some reasonable answers to her questions? It isn't hard to see why we don't have a bunch of new people getting into the sport.
same here, but pm me mish for more info
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

It,s not a bunch of crap , both types of hunt are legal , and Mish is learning from our different views about shotguning for birds from all angles.
Also who are you to apologize to Mish for this mess as you call it , your the one who NOW is making it that , so therfore l apologize for you.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Holy Cow!

Quote:
It,s not a bunch of crap , Mish is learning from our different views about shotguning for birds from all angles.
Holy crap BUD you and I agree on something.

I really appreciate the fact that we have been able to keep this thread fairly civil in our discussions. the fact of the matter is that I see this as something totally foreign to you and we are having a discussion about it. I don't feel I am being ignorant or rude and I don't feel you are either.

To say that newcomers should be afraid of this post is weird. I see this as a discussion. I don't agree that what BUD is saying is legal or right and he is telling me why he thinks it is. Isn't this what the board is for?

I thought that what was described by BUD to a newcomer should be avoided. I stated that to her (Mish).

BUD is arguing his side and Dick and I have been trying to show him ours.

I'll start a new thread and see how that goes. When I get back later today we'll get after it.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Keep this stuff up guys... It all but guarantees me exclusive access to some of the best areas around here.

Go ahead and sit in the the ditch, I'll still kill my birds and make YOU look like a fool.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM

some of my most memorable shoots have been the result of being in the right place at the right time, and some of those just happened to be a conventient ditch.