Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 06:05 PM

Default Celebrity hunters.

When watching all the hunting shows on T.V. have you ever noticed how poorly most of these guys shoot. Shot placement is poor. More often than not, the animal gets hit in the guts or on the edges. Too high, too low, too far back...They’re always leaving it until morning and hoping that they will find it. I fully agree with when in doubt, back out, but you see way more poorly placed shot than good, clean kill shots, especially the bowhunters. No bragging intended, but in my 40 years of bow hunting, I can only recall 2 or 3 times when a shot was poor. I think mostly because shots were only ever taken at close range where complete confidence was there for proper placement. Just seems like these T.V. superstar hunters should learn to shoot better.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:09 PM

I feel for the guides at times. In the show with the retired firefighter outfitting in Idaho , I have seen more misses than any other show. But then again, perhaps it's because the other shows edit out rhe misses?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 PM

I think its the pressure of having to down an animal for the show. They take bad shots and more chances because it's their career.

I personally will only take a bow shot of I am 100% certain I can do it, but I have gone empty handed for the past couple of years because of that. I am fine and happy with it, but it would make for more of animal nature show then a hunting show if I was being filmed.

I can only think of one show where they often dont take a shot because they dont want to wound it, and walk away. I respect that and it's the only one I watch because of it.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I feel for the guides at times. In the show with the retired firefighter outfitting in Idaho , I have seen more misses than any other show. But then again, perhaps it's because the other shows edit out rhe misses?

Sparky? Not a bad guy but man what a redundant show. 90mph wind blowing in the microphone while long strings of elk jump fences. Wooey.

He had Oilers goalie Mike Smith hunting with him in one episode. I think it was Smith anyways. Could have been Rob Zombie.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 PM

I had to lend my rifle to the vice president of a well known gun manufacturer while in the Yukon. He didnt do his paperwork properly and was denied bringing his rifle into Canada.

He took my rifle and was being guided by Jim Shockey.

After the hunt ended, I was on the dock to help them unload and see how it went.

Then this VP comes up.to me complaining that my rifle was garbage/inaccurate etc. etc.....apparently he hit a caribou in the ass, a wolf in the guts and needed 4 shots to put his moose down......hmmm. I was thinking " what did this dink do to my rifle???"

Just so happens I was heading to the gravel pit later with Eva Shockey to sight in her new rifle. I took my rifle with us.

Eva put a small empty water bottle up at 100yds. I shot two holes in it, both holes touching. Eva says "do that to MY rifle!!!!"

Absolutely nothing wrong with my gun. We sighted in Eva's rifle and headed back.

Eva and I walked into Wojo's office and I put the waterbottle on Wojo's table as he and Jim were debriefing........Jim smirked and commented that this guy couldnt shoot worth beans.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-31-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I had to lend my rifle to the vice president of a well known gun manufacturer while in the Yukon. He didnt do his paperwork properly and was denied bringing his rifle into Canada.

After the hunt ended, I was on the dock to help them unload and see how it went.

Then this VP comes up.to me complaining that my rifle was garbage/inaccurate etc. etc.....apparently he hit a caribou in the ass, a wolf in the guts and needed 4 shots to put his moose down......hmmm. I was thinking " what did this dink do to my rifle???"

Just so happens I was heading to the gravel pit later with Eva Shockey to sight in her new rifle. I took my rifle with us.

Eva put a small empty water bottle up at 100yds. I shot two holes in it, both holes touching. Eva says "do that to MY rifle!!!!"

Absolutely nothing wrong with my gun. We sighted in Eva's rifle and headed back.

Eva and I walked into Wojo's office and I put the waterbottle on Wojo's table as he and Jim were debriefing........Jim smirked and commented that this guy couldnt shoot worth beans.
I'm surprised he use the competitions gun, either that or he was knocking his own company

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm surprised he use the competitions gun, either that or he was knocking his own company

He had no choice. He used my Sako.

He wasn't the VP of Sako tho...... Lol
Old 08-02-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
When watching all the hunting shows on T.V. have you ever noticed how poorly most of these guys shoot. Shot placement is poor. More often than not, the animal gets hit in the guts or on the edges. Too high, too low, too far back...They’re always leaving it until morning and hoping that they will find it. I fully agree with when in doubt, back out, but you see way more poorly placed shot than good, clean kill shots, especially the bowhunters. No bragging intended, but in my 40 years of bow hunting, I can only recall 2 or 3 times when a shot was poor. I think mostly because shots were only ever taken at close range where complete confidence was there for proper placement. Just seems like these T.V. superstar hunters should learn to shoot better.
The humorous part of it all is some of these celebrities are sponsored and bragging up the Scorpion Optics etc then can't hit ****, I have also seen the same celebrity take a 90 yd Hail Mary shot at an Elk with a Bow...I wouldn't be advertising that part on TV.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
The humorous part of it all is some of these celebrities are sponsored and bragging up the Scorpion Optics etc then can't hit ****, I have also seen the same celebrity take a 90 yd Hail Mary shot at an Elk with a Bow...I wouldn't be advertising that part on TV.
Yeah that stopped me watching that show from that moment on, actually I don't watch much of that junk anymore.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:55 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the anti hunting lobby is behind the production of these shows in an effort to make people hate hunters. Many of those shows make us look like total idiot slobs. I can't imagine ethical hunters wanting to portray ourselves that way.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sometimes I wonder if the anti hunting lobby is behind the production of these shows in an effort to make people hate hunters. Many of those shows make us look like total idiot slobs. I can't imagine ethical hunters wanting to portray ourselves that way.
You’d almost up think so eh? I never watch hunting shows, they’re crap.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Then again, I have seen things happen in the field that are every bit as bad as what you see on the shows. A friend and I still have a laugh over a certain hunt that we accompanied a friend on. Everything was legal, but it was like watching a cartoon, with such foul ups and poor shooting.

Last edited by sns2; 08-29-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:41 PM

The only hunting shows I watch are Steven Rinella's Meateater and Randy Newberg's Fresh Tracks. Nobody else really comes close to these guys in terms of ethics, conservation and passion for the sport.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:32 PM

guys shaking after shooting a 3pt

Cant hardly talk, replaying the whole event that we all just watched.....

Ive got news for those southern bible belt hunters:

Jesus had NOTHING to do with you shooting that deer. Absolutely nothing. Maybe thank Remington or Sako instead....
Old 08-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Is that the one that wasn’t found till much later after the scavengers got to it...

LC
Old 08-03-2020, 06:52 PM

My favorite is after clients are done checking their zero.
I take out my old single shot Hiawatha .410 smooth-bore some whatsoever is cheapest for slugs and getting an equal or better group with it at 100 meters. Usually they blame it on being sighted in with yards Not our damn metric poop.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Celebrity

Just watched a show called Blitz. Same old thing, take a low quality shot and hope it works. Gotta get that dead deer footage. Why not wait for the perfect shot and nothing else?
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM

Right up there with the Celeb Chefs,all show and no tell.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

cant hardly talk, replaying the whole event that we all just watched.....

Jesus had nothing to do with you shooting that deer. Absolutely nothing. Maybe thank remington or sako instead....
☝️👌🏻👍🏻
Old 08-06-2020, 05:20 AM

Maybe its just the camera angel but some of the shots take on Episode 2 of this years Full Draw Film Tour just made me shake my head.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 AM

Default Celebrity

The thing is, even when they do get a good shot angle, they’re hitting them back in the guts, in the hind quarters, etc. Feet from the optimum kill zone. See this all the time with some of these rubes.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Jesus had NOTHING to do with you shooting that deer. Absolutely nothing. Maybe thank Remington or Sako instead....
X2
Old 08-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Stan Reiser/Guide has whole section in his hunting book on how bad most of the hunters he guided usually shoot even with the best rifles and scopes. Now I know why the guides in Yukon always insist on tripod to shoot a large bull moose at 50 yards.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Stan Reiser/Guide has whole section in his hunting book on how bad most of the hunters he guided usually shoot even with the best rifles and scopes. Now I know why the guides in Yukon always insist on tripod to shoot a large bull moose at 50 yards.

I have no idea why so many are surprised that a lot of hunters are such bad shots. Spend any amount of time at a gun range just before hunting season and you will clearly see just how bad they are. They are that bad shooting off a bench, you never see any of them practising off a knee or offhand. The guys that don't even bother to sight their guns in are usually even worse, so that amounts to a whole lot of people that can't shoot for beans. The average "Celebrity" hunter is usually no different. They do not spend anywhere near enough time shooting to become truly proficient at it.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:24 AM

Lot's of times too they show the animal with the hunter after it's down, and conveniently don't show where the bullet/arrow actually went in
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:

In all fairness considering how well some of these clowns shoot maybe Jesus did have to help the bullet hit something

I can see it be a country song now “Jesus steer the bullet”
Old 08-06-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have no idea why so many are surprised that a lot of hunters are such bad shots. Spend any amount of time at a gun range just before hunting season and you will clearly see just how bad they are. They are that bad shooting off a bench, you never see any of them practising off a knee or offhand. The guys that don't even bother to sight their guns in are usually even worse, so that amounts to a whole lot of people that can't shoot for beans. The average "Celebrity" hunter is usually no different. They do not spend anywhere near enough time shooting to become truly proficient at it.
My previous club had a 500m range, and there were gongs and silhouettes set out for shooters to use. Once they were sighted in , a fair number of people would shoot at the gongs or silhouettes at 200 and 300m, and some all of the way to 500m. Even shooting off of a bench, there were many misses at 200 and 300m, so I wouldn't expect much from those people in the field. Yet many of those people , would not hesitate to try a 400 to 500m shot at a game animal. And those were the people that actually bothered to sight in and practise a bit, many hunters don't bother with that, and would be even less competent. So the misses and wounded animals on the hunting shows, don't surprise me at all.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:23 PM

I have watched numerous shows over the years and it seems like an accepted practice to leave animals overnight with the Guts in. I agree if the shot isn't a drop em dead shot to wait half hour , but put some effort into it.
The host says oh ya its cool enough tonight it will be fine.
Like with all butchering, you want to cool the meat as soon as possible.
Is there not a lot of bone sour that happens?
For myself its equally important to save the meat as it is the head...
Old 08-06-2020, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

While this is an awesome post and i'd love to pm you for more lol, that's it in a nutshell really. It doesn't matter who you are, what you own, what you do for a living. Being a good 'closer' afield has eff all to do with the gun, it's the nut behind the trigger. He probably does fine on the range as many do. Same old story, fall apart on game when its the real deal.

Not sure how to train that into people other than more field time killing things, pest control, whatever it takes to get some notches in the belt? I know from experience that starting young helps a lot, turning kids loose with pellet guns and .22 before double digit ages and lots of ammo will create some natural born killers for sure.

Starting later in life, or limited field experience, is a real struggle for lots of people when its go time.

If you ever feel up to it...pm me more haha.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
While this is an awesome post and i'd love to pm you for more lol, that's it in a nutshell really. It doesn't matter who you are, what you own, what you do for a living. Being a good 'closer' afield has eff all to do with the gun, it's the nut behind the trigger. He probably does fine on the range as many do. Same old story, fall apart on game when its the real deal.

Not sure how to train that into people other than more field time killing things, pest control, whatever it takes to get some notches in the belt? I know from experience that starting young helps a lot, turning kids loose with pellet guns and .22 before double digit ages and lots of ammo will create some natural born killers for sure.

Starting later in life, or limited field experience, is a real struggle for lots of people when its go time.

If you ever feel up to it...pm me more haha.
Not much more to it really...

I was busy doing expediting and flying around so I really didnt need my rifle so I offered it to him.

Dan Goodenow (RIP) was with me when this guy was complaining about the rifle........Dan and I would room together so naturally after it all, we had a good laugh. Lol

I can see getting excited and having a hard time keeping the crosshairs steady. I get that. Im past that, but i understand. Seeing such magnificent animals is a dream for many. Im a bit numb to it.

But its the hunters responsibility to ensure the planets align before he or she pulls the trigger. Thats a live animal in those crosshairs and it deserves the best youve got to offer. Anything less than that is hard to justify to me.