Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 08:02 AM

Default Minister tags?

I can’t seem to find any info. When are they drawing the minister tags? If It is already done, anyone know the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2020, 11:42 AM

Website said draw was July 30...I never recieved a call lol
Can't find winners names anywhere though...
Old 08-01-2020, 09:51 PM

Keep your pants on, they were drawn on Thursday, 2PM, at the AFGA office in Edmonton. Before the winner's slate can be announced, they have to be contacted and verified to be Alberta residents in possession of an Alberta WIN card.
Vic
Old 08-02-2020, 11:53 PM

No call yet
Old 08-10-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Not Me

And the winners are:
• Steven Johnson - Bighorn sheep
• Michael Trautman - Antlered elk
• Wayne Bowd - Antlered mule deer
WDF
Old 08-10-2020, 02:51 PM

Wayne Bowd must be an extremely lucky person, it shows in the email announcing the winners that he won the ministers sheep tag a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:36 PM

That's why i stopped buying them a few years ago seems like same people win often.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:50 PM

Their odds go up when they buy more tickets. Your odds don’t change however.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-10-2020, 04:10 PM

I would LOVE to know how many tickets Wayne Bowd has purchased. He’s been the recipient of many tags and draws in the past several years.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM

This IS THE LAST TIME I buy these. What a crap setup!!!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:33 PM

The system is way better now than it has been in the past. There was a time when sheep tickets could basically be sold to one person on the first day tickets are available. If I remember correctly there were tickets available in the last week for deer and sheep. There is a limit per day per person up to a certain date. Lots of time to get some. Like someone said above your odds on one ticket stay the same right now, whether 1 person or 5000 bought the rest. Buy as many as you choose. Everyone has a chance to buy tickets. You want a better chance, buy more. Quit whining.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I would LOVE to know how many tickets Wayne Bowd has purchased. He’s been the recipient of many tags and draws in the past several years.
I would say that the number is very very very high
Good for him
He could have probably bought it in Reno for cheaper
I met him down there at the sheep show and he’s a great guy
Hope he gets a big one
Old 08-10-2020, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
The system is way better now than it has been in the past. There was a time when sheep tickets could basically be sold to one person on the first day tickets are available. If I remember correctly there were tickets available in the last week for deer and sheep. There is a limit per day per person up to a certain date. Lots of time to get some. Like someone said above your odds on one ticket stay the same right now, whether 1 person or 5000 bought the rest. Buy as many as you choose. Everyone has a chance to buy tickets. You want a better chance, buy more. Quit whining.
They are capped
There is only a limited amount of tickets printed
Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
This IS THE LAST TIME I buy these. What a crap setup!!!
Why? Because a guy played by the rules as explained and won? Lol
Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 AM

This has happened most every year this ‘draw’ has been in place. I’m sorry if I sound petty but this draw was put in place for all folks to have a chance at these tickets. F&G refusal to make this draw more fair to all ticket purchasers shows me that it’s just another old boys club in my opinion. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
This has happened most every year this ‘draw’ has been in place. I’m sorry if I sound petty but this draw was put in place for all folks to have a chance at these tickets. F&G refusal to make this draw more fair to all ticket purchasers shows me that it’s just another old boys club in my opinion. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should!
That was the case for a lot of years. But not anymore. A few years ago a group of us lobbied for, and were successful, in having the rules of the raffle changed. As stated above, at one time there was no limit on the number of tickets that one individual could purchase, and the bulk would be sold to one person the minute the tickets went on sale, leaving none for anyone else to buy. Now the rules state that single purchases are limited to 100/person/day for the first 90 days of the sale. After 90 days the limits are removed. It's very fair for everyone now, and gives all the non-wealthy people ample opportunity to buy them.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Some of the guys who win often. They put in thousands of dollars that goes towards conservation efforts with really asking little in return. So they win more often than you do but without guys like this Alberta and any jurisdiction would be worse off. Think about how many tens of thousands, these guys put into draws and don’t win. What happens when you start limiting the amount you can buy then the draw doesn’t sell out. Most guys are always just looking for a deal on stuff with great odds when in fact we should be focused on the conservation dollars that draws like this raise.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 PM

Default Google

I just spent 2 mins exploring the ole Google machine based on "Wayne Bowd Alberta" as a search...

It's quite evident to me that Wayne has no shortage of money, and part-in-parcel no shortage of amazing hunts in the previous years.

Smoke 'em if you got'em they say...
Old 08-12-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
How is it not fair?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Good for anyone who wins. I've won a few guns at the local F&G annual supper. Guess what, it would have been way cheaper over the years to just buy the guns retail. I'm a working stiff, it's just one of the places I spend some disposable income to help out. Congrats to the winners, hope the hunts are truly memorable!
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 PM

I can’t understand why guys get bent out of shape over this. Complaining about Foss or whoever takes it home. If you buy 1 ticket. Your odds are what they are it doesn’t matter who buys the remaining tickets. If it’s all the same guy or a pile of guys who bought one a piece.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:36 PM

If this lottery was such a good money making deal then why wouldn’t afga have the winners posted on their website? It’s not hard to figure out how much money is raised by the proceeds of this lottery. What does afga do with that money? Likely not much in terms of sheep habitat restoration. Not much in terms of CWD research. Not much in terms of landowner access or property acquisition. In my opinion this is just what it is. A way for a select few cronies to dig deep and solve a few mid life crisis’. Moose river guy, math is hard. The odds of selecting 1 ticket in 5000 are all the same, except if the other 4999 are held by a minimal amount of owners. You’re right, it can happen. What I’m saying, if Afga wanted to make some real money to do good things, there are better things to raffle off and be able to raise more money for good projects that cost the money that they’re always saying they’re short of. Take a look around at other jurisdictions in North America and see what they’re doing and fundraiser accordingly.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
If this lottery was such a good money making deal then why wouldn’t afga have the winners posted on their website? It’s not hard to figure out how much money is raised by the proceeds of this lottery. What does afga do with that money? Likely not much in terms of sheep habitat restoration. Not much in terms of CWD research. Not much in terms of landowner access or property acquisition. In my opinion this is just what it is. A way for a select few cronies to dig deep and solve a few mid life crisis’. Moose river guy, math is hard. The odds of selecting 1 ticket in 5000 are all the same, except if the other 4999 are held by a minimal amount of owners. You’re right, it can happen. What I’m saying, if Afga wanted to make some real money to do good things, there are better things to raffle off and be able to raise more money for good projects that cost the money that they’re always saying they’re short of. Take a look around at other jurisdictions in North America and see what they’re doing and fundraiser accordingly.
AFGA thinks extending grouse season and getting an antlerless mule zone open are big wins. We live in the most diversified ungluate and habitat rich areas in the world and have management philosophies and ideals from the 1960s. Bios should be kicked down the road.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:45 PM

I don’t blame the bios at all in this province. I put a lot of the issues squarely on the shoulders of hunters. The hunting community should have a solid voice in this province but choose to not be involved in the political squeaky wheel and becoming a strong voice in which political ears have to listen to. Then when access issues, loss of habitat, or the messy business of hunting gets threatened there is no voice to help them. My opinion of this lottery is much the same as the draw system in place. There is so much priority out there to work itself through that the young person today will never see some of the fantastic opportunities you speak of.
But back to the original point of my post is that times are changing quickly and I feel that the Afga has been left far behind right now. If we have 100,000 people applying for draws and hunting licenses, why is there only 30,000 or so memebers? That’s my biggest issue. I say increase the cost of a wildlife certificate by 10 bucks and everyone is now a member. Put in place a fish certificate with the same process. You will increase revenue to afga far greater than this 10 bucks a ticket for a tag lottery. It’s run it’s course. Good riddance.
A question someone will ask me is why I’m not involved with this organization? Good question. I refuse to be involved with an organization that caters to cronyism. Albeit, they do some great work in regards to youth involvement in hunting and fishing, but that’s what they’re there for. They need to raise some money to hire some people to make hunting appealable to the youth. I remember when I first started hunting draws with my son and was explaining the draw wait times. He was all excited to get out there and he finds out he is going to need to wait 4, 5,10 years to draw tags. He chose bird hunting. Good choice and he likes it, he is still a big game hunter and participates in draws but has way less interest than when he was younger. I don’t know all the answers but you all remember what the definition of insanity is.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Everything in your post is wrong. lol
Old 08-15-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Everything in your post is wrong. lol
There is the great statement for debate.. come on Dave.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
There is the great statement for debate.. come on Dave.
There's nothing to debate here. Everything you've said about how the raffle is administered, how the funds raised are distributed and utilized, and even the odds of one particular ticket being drawn, is wrong.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
If you want to increase your odds
Buy more tickets
Pretty simple

I’m curious what the better things to raffle off are that your referring to?
The super tags aren’t capped and are opened to non residents...
They auction off permits at the western hunting expo and highly desirable units for 10’s of thousands of dollars. But open to non residents unlike the ministers tag raffles
Old 08-15-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
There's nothing to debate here. Everything you've said about how the raffle is administered, how the funds raised are distributed and utilized, and even the odds of one particular ticket being drawn, is wrong.

I agree. We have some guys bitching that have probably never joined a conservation or gun support group, let alone been ACTIVELY involved but has lots of opinions that are completely off base. Wonder if Calvin has even ever bought a ticket.

The AFGA is a member driven organization, anyone can run for any office, in their local club or provincially. Get involved, make you voice heard and just maybe learn something about how stuff actually works. I have been a member for over 50 years, I don't agree with every position they take but I agree with most and at least there is a large organization with a ton of people VOLUNTEERING time to try and make things better for everyone. I don't know a single person in any position that got elected to benefit themselves personally.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:20 PM

It’s a fundraiser that raises tens of thousands of dollars for fish and game and doesn’t take away any opportunity from anyone in the province. They’ve made it more fair on reducing the daily amount of tickets an individual can buy. So if someone follows the rules and buys their 100 a day and wins, who really cares?

Anyone who has a problem with the minister draw is just jealous. If they abolish it, there’s no extra hunting opportunity for those complaining and it’s thousands of dollars gone.