Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Got a date, and a canoe plus gear, now what

So this girl I know has been buggin me for quite awhile to take her fishing with me. And she's probably about an 8 outta 10, so I kinda want to impress a little. But I've been in manitoba all summer and haven't fished Alberta really at all this year. So what's a good spot that's happening right now? I don't care what kind of fish just as long as we get some, and I got a canoe so a lake that's not super windy on average would have to almost be a must with girls on board. oh and did I mention she wants to go TOMORROW, help me out here guys, I was thinking pine coulee but I got skunked there last time I went and, it's not very senic.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Gone Hunting

It would sure help if you had pics.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM

I'll send ya one, how do I post pics on here
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM

If you're in Calgary now, why don't you try spray lakes or something south of Canmore. Pretty easy to catch fish and doesn't get that windy. Pretty nice scenery too so you will probably slay after the fishing.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Ya I am in calgs. Spray is a beauty spot but ive never even caught a cold out there Before
Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM

You ever use little mepps spinners, seem to do the trick there
Old 08-19-2011, 11:23 AM

this usually works on the 8 out of 10's

PEACH SCHNAPPS

cant help ya with the fishing though
Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Lemon gin works pretty good too
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 AM

definatly head up to k country pick up some little mepps spinners and hit pretty much any of the trout lakes up there. theres nothing like the mountains to get a girl in the out-doors-y mood.

x2 on the peach shnapps.

patron is quicker though,

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
hunter49

If you got skunked on pine coulee, your in trouble.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM

To be fair I was ice fishing at pine coulee.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 PM

what about dickson trout pond? you could paddle to the other side were
no one goes hardly at all.
should be able to get a few bows out of there.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM

You don't want to get skunked, but I'm not talking about fish. Pick a pretty, scenic place first of all. Then think about somewhere nearby to have a nice romantic dinner at afterwards. I'd lean towards the Banff/Canmore area if I were you. THEN think of a place where she can get a fish, and you can profusely compliment her.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:10 PM

Listen to Coulee, I have a lot of experience with 8/10's. Hey, if you can do it it's not bragging. Anyway, take her to Bear Pond in South K-Country for Arctic Grayling. Beautiful drive, gorgeous little lake and exotic fish. Catch them on small spinners, dry flies, steamers and nymphs. She will have to help you carry the canoe up the hill from the parking lot, but you'll find out what she's made of. And hopefully there's a little spice mixed in with all that sugar. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer View Post
If you're in Calgary now, why don't you try spray lakes or something south of Canmore. Pretty easy to catch fish and doesn't get that windy. Pretty nice scenery too so you will probably slay after the fishing.
are you kidding? spray is one of the worst lakes for wind. every afternoon. its good in the morning and every afternoon the wind will kick up especially on the middle section of the lake.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulee View Post
Listen to Coulee, I have a lot of experience with 8/10's. Hey, if you can do it it's not bragging. Anyway, take her to Bear Pond in South K-Country for Arctic Grayling. Beautiful drive, gorgeous little lake and exotic fish. Catch them on small spinners, dry flies, steamers and nymphs. She will have to help you carry the canoe up the hill from the parking lot, but you'll find out what she's made of. And hopefully there's a little spice mixed in with all that sugar. Good luck.
bear pond winter killed and they were not prepared to stock it this year. I am not sure if that changed and a stocking happened but i definitely hadnt heard that they did. And have heard no fishing reports from bear the entire summer other than the winterkill reports
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
Maybe she's easily impressed? (ducks)
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
bear pond winter killed and they were not prepared to stock it this year. I am not sure if that changed and a stocking happened but i definitely hadnt heard that they did. And have heard no fishing reports from bear the entire summer other than the winterkill reports
I think your missing the point here Braun... Is this really about fishing here...??
Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
I think your missing the point here Braun... Is this really about fishing here...??
kind of. he said he wanted to be able to catch a fish. i agree the mountains is definitely the place to go because even if you dont catch a fish you will have lots of fun and amazing scenery. but he did mention he wanted to catch fish as well. Maybe she has never caught one before and wants to share that experience with him. who knows. If i were you I would goto the upper k. If the water is calm the entire lake is accessible. if it is windy, the wind always comes from the same direction and there is a shoreline that shelters part of the lake from the wind even on the windiest days. I have always wanted to try to fish there because i bet the fish stack up on the break of the point and wait for bait to be blown by with the current. see the attached google map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...0c7fa9489b9194
Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Callaway park.....good fishing and romantic ferris wheel......forget the canoe....they have a water ride
Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Banned

im not trying to be a downer with my comments or anything. ive been in his situation. if i am planning something for someone I am a perfectionist. My ex loved that but at the same time hated me fore it because if one little thing didnt happen I`d be a little irked by it because in my mind if it wasnt perfect, it wasn`t right. I dont like factors other than ones caused by myself to stand in my way. So i try to plan for all possible scenarios.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
are you kidding? spray is one of the worst lakes for wind. every afternoon. its good in the morning and every afternoon the wind will kick up especially on the middle section of the lake.
I can see how a little bit of wind bothers you...probably messes up your hair so you don't look as pretty for your boyfriend. The lake is so small that you're never bouncing around in waves or anything. If a little wind does bother you, drive 5 minutes north and fish a smaller body of water protected from the wind.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Default Haha good one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Callaway park.....good fishing and romantic ferris wheel......forget the canoe....they have a water ride
X2!!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post

Take her out on the docks at pine coulee bring a lawn chairs and some mino's / smelts even and you will have a blast.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Gone Fishing

I am shocked that no one has said anything about her ONLY being an 8/10....if she ever reads this your butt will have skid marks on it from being kicked to the curb ! All women we date are 10`s .....aint that the truth?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM

I just find it funny how he has to let us know that she is an 8/10 when he could of said he was taking out a pretty girl fishing and wanted to impress her.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I just find it funny how he has to let us know that she is an 8/10 when he could of said he was taking out a pretty girl fishing and wanted to impress her.
It's just his way of saying he's attracted to her and would like this to be a bit more than just "taking a friend fishing".

And his asking here reveals that he's not used to dating 8 out of 10"s. LOL Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Piece of advice... think of any girl you are out with as a 10 out of 10.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
I am shocked that no one has said anything about her ONLY being an 8/10....if she ever reads this your butt will have skid marks on it from being kicked to the curb ! All women we date are 10`s .....aint that the truth?

x10!!!

until you ruin it & marry them.lol
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumtan View Post
They are 10 out 10's at the bar thats for sure... the next day I would rather not say...
Old 08-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammer View Post
I can see how a little bit of wind bothers you...probably messes up your hair so you don't look as pretty for your boyfriend. The lake is so small that you're never bouncing around in waves or anything. If a little wind does bother you, drive 5 minutes north and fish a smaller body of water protected from the wind.

lol nice. but my ex can attest that we have had 2 days where we were almost capsized in those waves. spray lakes is narrow but it runs the same direction as the wind blows on that lake and with the length, by the time it hits the bend it can make some pretty nasty swells. remember he is in a canoe not a 18 footer like you probably fish from. But nice try to make me look like a girl. speaks alot for your character and maturity. A true keyboard warrior.

Ps I did recommend a lake and even offered him a map of some protected waters that he can fish from if winds are blowin. spray can be calm but more often than not winds pick up and most people who ice fishes spray can attest that the winds at spray if there is any are more than just "a little bit of wind"
Closed Thread