Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 AM

Smile Ice fishing over the holidays.

My wife wants to get out over the holidays and do some ice fishing. She said she wants to go at least once on this coming weekend. She told me to take her one day and she said for me to go have some fun the rest of the holidays.

Our son is working on the rigs and won't be off until next Thursday. This is the first year we won't have any family here or won't be going away for Christmas in about 30 years.

So where are you going fishing in the next while fishing?

I will have to dust off the auger, the tent, and the other gear. Hope to get some time on the hard stuff for rainbows and some pike and walleye. Not nessessarily in that order.

Rob
Old 12-23-2011, 05:09 AM
Gone Fishing

Well Merry Christmas and the best of luck fishing ! Hope the time you and the dear wife spend fishing is totally enjoyable.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 AM

Pm sent Rob. I'm in

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 12-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Merry Chritsmas Rob. I'll be in the Kootenays trying to get a double digit rainbow through the ice until the New Year. If you end up out that way or go to visit your bro or something give me a call. Hope to be out of service most of the time though.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Default Holiday fishing.

PM sent.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM

I will be out probably every day, if you head down this way let me know. I plan on a Clear/PCR trip one day too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I will be out probably every day, if you head down this way let me know. I plan on a Clear/PCR trip one day too.
Merry Christmas to you and your wife...
I hope to get out to Chain sometime over the holiday. I never iced fished and my husband is off too !!

Maybe !!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Ken , Rob , Wayne

Hey guys lets do a trip. We have not done a group trip on the hardwater for a long time. Was the last one when we rented that cabin on Gull or the night fish on PCR?? Hows about we shoot to be on ice somewhere for mid day, we can do a BBQ and stay till the wee hrs and hook into a few Burbs. We have put a few of these on at PCR. Hows about we put our heads together and shoot for somewhere that will have bigger burbs? I am sure we could get a few of the old crew out as well. Shall I make it a gathering and start sending out emails?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Ken , Rob , Wayne

Hey guys lets do a trip. We have not done a group trip on the hardwater for a long time. Was the last one when we rented that cabin on Gull or the night fish on PCR?? Hows about we shoot to be on ice somewhere for mid day, we can do a BBQ and stay till the wee hrs and hook into a few Burbs. We have put a few of these on at PCR. Hows about we put our heads together and shoot for somewhere that will have bigger burbs? I am sure we could get a few of the old crew out as well.
count me in. Im looking for burbs this weekend too in a couple new spots.
Tara I am planning to fish Clear Lake by Stavely next week, then finish off the day over at PCR for some evening fishing, it would be nice to meet you and your hubby, maybe even catch a few fish!
Jeff arent there some decent burbs in Crawling Valley? and its pretty central for Calgary and south.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
My wife wants to get out over the holidays and do some ice fishing. She said she wants to go at least once on this coming weekend. She told me to take her one day and she said for me to go have some fun the rest of the holidays.

Our son is working on the rigs and won't be off until next Thursday. This is the first year we won't have any family here or won't be going away for Christmas in about 30 years.

So where are you going fishing in the next while fishing?

I will have to dust off the auger, the tent, and the other gear. Hope to get some time on the hard stuff for rainbows and some pike and walleye. Not nessessarily in that order.

Rob
Hi Rob!!

Merry Christmas! For my very first time ever I'm going to Chain lakes next Tuesday, dec 28. First time at Chain Lakes & Ice fishing.

Hope meet you soon.

Cheers,

Oscar
Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Going to the lake 29, 30, 31, 1st to fish, sled(if we get any snow) & bring in the New Year with my kids.

Merry X-Mass everyone
Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Gone Hunting

I\ll be at lake "X" on the 28th Dec and Lake "y" on the 29 and 30 Dec. if anyone is around. catching jumbo perch with my grand daughter. 20 minutes from Calgary.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Default Holiday fishing

Hi Rob:
I'm off for the next 2 weeks and plan on doing a lot of fishing, so far my plans are Monday Kananaskis, Tuesday CV, from there I am open. Usually end up fishing by myself as most guys can't go the days I can. If you would like to meet up some where let me know
Old 12-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Smile

Thinking of going to the Upper K on Monday. Actually going Sunday too. But just to check things out on Sunday and take the dogs snowshoeing.

I have to go buy something from Best Buy on Monday morning. But that will be early. Should be heading out by 9 I figure.

Green and orange jigs are great out there as well as flies. Don't forget to read the regs. There is a bait ban there.

IceFever, which lake were you going to go to? I was thinking the upper. But the lower can be productive at times as well. I just hate fishing around that outflow.

Burbs and walleye or pike sounds good later in the week. Tuesday or wednesday. Wayne the last time I went out to Crawling Valley last year we did a lot of drilling and not much catching. Be nice if someone went along that knows where to go and what to use. I would love to catch some of those eye's out of there. Must be some nice pike in there as well?

Rob
Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 PM

I found Crawling was slow too, got some smaller ones, and pretty much squat at the derby. this year I have a feeling it may be different, with the weird winter so far, Im finding the big pike at my usual haunt havent been "on" as much as last year, yet. Thinking of doing the Clear then PCR fish also, maybe Thursday, have to stay local Tuesday as Im getting tires and want to pick them up before the store closes. Tomorrow I think I will find a sheltered spot on Newell and do some Moby hunting if I can get out of the wind a bit, or at least get the tent up before the hurricane gets going.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 AM

Rob, I'm going to hit the lower lake monday out next to the open water, was there last weekend and there was 8" ice. I imagine there is no more than 10-12" on CV so will have to drive some of the lease roads to get up the lake a bit. Had great luck for eyes this summer hoping to see if I can find them now the ice is on
Old 12-24-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
Rob, I'm going to hit the lower lake monday out next to the open water, was there last weekend and there was 8" ice. I imagine there is no more than 10-12" on CV so will have to drive some of the lease roads to get up the lake a bit. Had great luck for eyes this summer hoping to see if I can find them now the ice is on
Wednesday we will be doing just that, driving to the area then walking on, feel free to come with, we can always use a good guide, especially Jeff, poor fellow doesnt catch many fish

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Poor Jeff

I am sure if he works the area hard instead of socializing like most of us do and miss half the bites he will latch in to a fish or 2. Without the pink fishing rod I am sure his luck is sure to change soon.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Ok ok slow the pitty train down for poor Jeff I will show ya all this time.

So the wife has gave me the green light for a trip. as I gather it we have :

Ken plus 1
Rob
Wayne plus one
Jeff

I will send Steve a msg and see what he is doing as well, maybe Silver will want in on this one. Next step is all of us picking the same location.

CVR
Newell "Jackfish Bay"
Badger
Lake X
Clear

Myself I would like to stick around into night and get a few Burbs. But not saying we need to stick to one location. We can do the day fishing somewhere and then move on for the Burb fest to another location if so wished. But first we need the location.

CVR could provide Eyes Pike and some Burbs at night. But my experience on there is nill So I think Ken will be the guru on that spot.

We all know a little about Badger. Wayne thats your area any word on it this year yet?

Newell has some hogs in it as we all know, but dont know about the burbs out there.

Lake X aint been doing so hot eh Wayne. Besides that a lot of pressure for that hole??

Have not heard nothing about Clear this year yet, but PCR is close for the Burbs after.

What do we think guys? As for the date Hows the 28th sound? I may be able to sneek in one more along the way but will need to be nice to the wife. Lets do the pot luck BBQ well guys, Dont need to go to the extent that we do with the gatherings. But a BBQ is a hell of an idea. Once we have a location and date set we can do a chow list.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Wednesday

So far Wayne myself and partner Dale have discussed CVR for Wednesday unless there has been some amazing fishing elsewhere that is half way south. Clear has been quiet for quite a while, Badger I can't say recently as I have not fished in a while, Newell would be new so not sure. CVR has had it's quiet moments but I have had more better days than not over on my west side haunt and we can drive pretty close to the fishing area. Good variety there as well. Pike are usually keeper size or just above so if you want a dinner they are perfect size as some can attest at last years outing there.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Burbs in there as well Ken?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Wednesday CVR then as you said we can always switch it up later if we don't get anything.

Rob
Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 PM

What do u guys think about spray
Old 12-24-2011, 01:19 PM

Ok CVR it is then. Steve is going to come as well I think. So you guys want to do a bbq out there. Will bring stuff for a fish fry as well.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Sounds good

Just got back in and Rob has confirmed for Wednesday.
Yes CVR has good burbs when you get them. Pike are usually pan size too if you want to cook one up too. Last year steve and Adam and a couple of newbies came out and caught a couple of nice keepers there too. There are perch in there too I have seen on the camera if you wish to try for them too. Lots of wallys there and big ones too but they go back in. We will fish the west side like we did last year except we will go in from the back road.
Let me know if anything else or if anyone else wants to meet up p.m. me for location details.

Ken
Old 12-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Sweet its a date.. Well not a date cause we are men and that would be gay. But a fishing date.... No not a fishing date.. Its a mandate??? No,... Ahh hell never mind see ya there lol. We just going to do the caravan thing?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Sorry Jeff I'm workin
Old 12-24-2011, 04:46 PM

Default Caravan

We can caravan or if you wish like last time we just met at the stop sign just off the hiway if that works. We could also meet at the red rock turnoff or we could just meet on the edge of the lake if everyone knows where to go.
Jeff: are you going to come down this way and out or meet with your "date" Steve and go out. Let me know as I should be OK for space. Dale may bring his grandson so we you would make a full load.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:16 PM

Im in, CVR it is, it will be just me this time around. As for Newell, lets say I had an interesting day, if anyone is up for it I will be there probably every other day this week and anyone thinking of fishing it with less than 30 pound line forget it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Later

Maybe later in the week for sure.........