Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Amen!
Lol
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Nice catch Full Throttle!! All I can say, I am Jealous!!! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
I never once said he wasn't allowed. What's wrong with a discussion? Only ok if everyone agrees with you?
I hardly consider your backhanded comments a 'discussion', but call it what you want to I guess.

You're clearly, or at least sound like a pro c&r only fisherman, which is perfectly fine, that is your choice. But to condemn another a fisherman for a making a choice fully within their rights seems ridiculous to me. To each their own i suppose.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
I hardly consider your backhanded comments a 'discussion', but call it what you want to I guess.

You're clearly, or at least sound like a pro c&r only fisherman, which is perfectly fine, that is your choice. But to condemn another a fisherman for a making a choice fully within their rights seems ridiculous to me. To each their own i suppose.
Yes, I suppose I was being childish in some of my posts. Still fun though!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Awesome fish!!! You have every right to keep those fish! You earned it!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:30 AM

Thanks burbot
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM

They are legal. Get your heads out of it!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Yup, we figured this would be the outcome of the thread. BTW we will be mounting the two of them. And thanks to all the sincere thank you's.
Who is doing the mounts for you? That is only if you want to say of course. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:40 AM

If you are not concerned about the effect of keeping those 3 big spawners why don't you post which lake you caught them out of.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators View Post
If you are not concerned about the effect of keeping those 3 big spawners why don't you post which lake you caught them out of.
lol don't hold your breath
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Big predators are not needed for spawning, they are needed to regulate the fishery. Kill the big sows, you cause irreprable damage. Stunt it out, flood the system with small predators, call it what ever you want, but our actions on these inland closed systems are the only reason our fisheries look like they do today. The regs need to be changed, the days of killing large predatory fish should be long gone. This stuff has been known for years. Congratulations on your catch boys. Change your tactics to avoid deep hooking these gem's. If freezers need to be filled, chase the more numerous prey species, or help our stunted out pike fisheries by killing and eating the small just legal pike. Removal of even one big predator has severe repricussions.

I wholly agree. A well respected provincial biologist told me that most Northern's in our waters that attain 40" are over 20 years old.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Good job man! Hope they taste as good as they look

Dont let the haters harsh words bring ya down!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM

Default Pike Mounts

Funny, this discussion came up between my fishing partner and I last winter when he caught a big hen weighing 25lbs. As soon as we brought her out eggs started coming out of her. In the excitement of catching the biggest pike both of us had ever been involved in my partner started saying "I'm taking this one home!!....I'm taking this one home!!" I asked why and he said because he wanted to get it mounted. Well to make a long story short I told him he didnt need to take it home just to get a mount all a taxidermist needs is a couple pics and all the measurements and you can get an exact replica made....and the fish got to go back in the water to maybe give us another THRILL another day!! We caught her on a quick strike but try not to let them run very far before setting the hook to try an avoid the hooks getting way down in the throat, this makes for more sucessful catch & releasing.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingDinger View Post
Funny, this discussion came up between my fishing partner and I last winter when he caught a big hen weighing 25lbs. As soon as we brought her out eggs started coming out of her. In the excitement of catching the biggest pike both of us had ever been involved in my partner started saying "I'm taking this one home!!....I'm taking this one home!!" I asked why and he said because he wanted to get it mounted. Well to make a long story short I told him he didnt need to take it home just to get a mount all a taxidermist needs is a couple pics and all the measurements and you can get an exact replica made....and the fish got to go back in the water to maybe give us another THRILL another day!! We caught her on a quick strike but try not to let them run very far before setting the hook to try an avoid the hooks getting way down in the throat, this makes for more sucessful catch & releasing.
It doesn't matter how much sense you make, people will still keep them until there's none left.

BTW, you probably didn't realize, but you are a jealous hater.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM

I'm not mad that you kept the fish, I'm right ticked that I can't find lake Triple X on the map though!!!

Nice fish & congrats to you all!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:40 PM

From one Piker to another - nice fish.
Dodger.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Nice catch . Those big ones look good up on the wall and contrary to popular vote taste just as good as the small ones