Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Is it too dry up here in the 780....are all you guys who are finding them in the 403?
I know it's been wet down there, I've been trying to work in it lol !

Either way, was gonna head east of Edm with the kids tomorow, but might head out west to another area to throw up some trail cams if it's too dry for morels east of Edmonton.
thanks
hh
Was up in the Rocky area on the weekend and couldn't find any morels and from previous posts, it looks like people were picking them a few weeks ago in the north so they might be done up there.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Just picked 4 milk crates full at Watson Lake
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM

I was up in the Valleyview area this past week and put in a couple hours searching and came up empty handed.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM

I saw Morels at Pembina River Provincial park on the weekend , they are starting to fade but are still around !
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Default Morels still growing in Calgary

Went out today for a hour after work and was hoping that more Morels would have grew since last week. At first the same places (now very wet grassy areas) I previously found them were blank but then I started to find them under and in small bushes in quite massive clumps. So it looks like they don't really like to be that wet. And the oyster mushroom tree went insane

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Went out today for a hour after work and was hoping that more Morels would have grew since last week. At first the same places (now very wet grassy areas) I previously found them were blank but then I started to find them under and in small bushes in quite massive clumps. So it looks like they don't really like to be that wet. And the oyster mushroom tree went insane

WOW, oh I gotta get out there!!!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
Quote:
You should.

I had the best day of picking Goldens this afternoon. Over 14 pounds ( five full grocery bags) in four hours, and most were brand new. This wet cool weather is producing the best season I've ever had for them. Should be good for another week, maybe more.

They are coming up in big patches.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 PM

Wow! Nice picking WB. I was thinking of going out again tomorrow but I've exhausted my piddly two locations that I know of. Can you maybe PM me a rough area to try (different than yours)? I don't want to wander around the same area you just went through and wondering why I can't find any

My main area I found is only about 100' square and it's mostly marsh around it so I know there's nothing more around it. Was thinking of some the flat areas in fish creek near Burnsmead or Bankside.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow! Nice picking WB. I was thinking of going out again tomorrow but I've exhausted my piddly two locations that I know of. Can you maybe PM me a rough area to try (different than yours)? I don't want to wander around the same area you just went through and wondering why I can't find any

My main area I found is only about 100' square and it's mostly marsh around it so I know there's nothing more around it. Was thinking of some the flat areas in fish creek near Burnsmead or Bankside.
Take a drive across 22X southside at 24th street, park on the side of the road,, lotsa varietal coming up,,, I don't have my book handy but did see an edible but won't post till I take a pic with it's latin name. Good luck
Old 06-18-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind that removing any living material from a provincial park is prohibited. That includes mushrooms.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Can you maybe PM me a rough area to try (different than yours)? I don't want to wander around the same area you just went through and wondering why I can't find any

Try any area will large patches of Mature Cottonwoods.

You've got my number, give me a call tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I've been checking every few days and so far, nothing. Not even one.

I think it's due to the lack of rain. One good shower since mid April.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 PM

Default couple pounds near waiparous

Went out today and got about two or three pounds near waiparous. It looks like they'll be out there for a while as well as most of the ones I found were new.

They were mighty tasty tonight with a bbq striploin, baby potatoes and garden asparagus.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM

My friend and I went to Rockys last Sunday (June 12). I managed to find about 20 lb of black morels and My friend got about 13 lb.

My friend went to same spot yesterday and only find about 5 lb.

It is a long way drive but that is the only space I can find morels and will try again this weekend hope I will find more black one.

I still haven't found any of the yellow morels in or near Calgary area, I guess I just have no luck. I have friends found them in Fishcreek or silver spring( can't believe it) but not me. I hope i can find some yellow one before the morel season end,
keep my finger crossed

Last edited by DiehardFishingMan; 06-19-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You should.

I had the best day of picking Goldens this afternoon. Over 14 pounds ( five full grocery bags) in four hours, and most were brand new. This wet cool weather is producing the best season I've ever had for them. Should be good for another week, maybe more.

They are coming up in big patches.

Nice find. I am jealous

Last edited by DiehardFishingMan; 06-19-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
wow, they are awesome. The oyster mushrooms are so attractive to me. I am still not be able to find them yet
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Default Delicious

We went for a walk by the bow river in calgary, just outside of town towards bearspaw and found some nice morels this evening.

Will have to keep my eyes open for more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morels.jpg (61.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM

Hit a few spots east of the city and got skunked for morels. Found a few but they were old and dried up. Headed west toward Bragg Creek but couldn't really find any public areas not in the provincial park with mature cottonwoods.

Then in the evening went fishing at Bonavista and guess what, found a bunch right on the island in the lake . Unfortunately I think they spray the area with chemicals and it's full of bird poop so didn't bother to take any. Of all the places to find them after a day of driving all over hunting for them.....
Old 06-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hit a few spots east of the city and got skunked for morels. Found a few but they were old and dried up. Headed west toward Bragg Creek but couldn't really find any public areas not in the provincial park with mature cottonwoods.

Then in the evening went fishing at Bonavista and guess what, found a bunch right on the island in the lake . Unfortunately I think they spray the area with chemicals and it's full of bird poop so didn't bother to take any. Of all the places to find them after a day of driving all over hunting for them.....
was having a smoke outside a coffee shop in sw calgary and noticed a bunch amongst some poplars behind a dumpster,, it's when you aren't looking,,,, but seriously try out the 24th st area of 22x
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Wife and I checked this weekend in a couple places, came out empty handed and soaked. It did look like someone was picking in there cause the places I feel they should have been did have what looked like holes left where they were picked from. Will try again.

ON a good note, I did find a little beg in the freezer from last year, and they were cooked with the Whitetail for dinner last night.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
was having a smoke outside a coffee shop in sw calgary and noticed a bunch amongst some poplars behind a dumpster,, it's when you aren't looking,,,, but seriously try out the 24th st area of 22x
We did go to that area (I'm assuming you mean SW) but couldn't find any public areas to wander around. The stuff along the side of the road on 24th was barren as far as we could see as there's too much gravel and slope I think. I'm not a fan of looking for edibles along busy roads so I didn't look at the areas right along 22x.

I went back to an area that produced some morels last week and only found two old crumbly morels tonight so I think they might be mostly finished in the city now. The grass is sure getting really long and the mosquitos are getting deadly with this wet weather.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
We did go to that area (I'm assuming you mean SW) but couldn't find any public areas to wander around. The stuff along the side of the road on 24th was barren as far as we could see as there's too much gravel and slope I think. I'm not a fan of looking for edibles along busy roads so I didn't look at the areas right along 22x.

I went back to an area that produced some morels last week and only found two old crumbly morels tonight so I think they might be mostly finished in the city now. The grass is sure getting really long and the mosquitos are getting deadly with this wet weather.
Have you considered joining the Alberta Mycology club? They had a foray recently,, I'm going to do one for Canmore in a month (with some fishing on the side), I'll keep you posted. That will be for Bolette and Rybc

Re garding 24th, I peek over the fence's at various spots. Last year though, along the road, found another edible specimen that went well with a T-Bone,, it was almost the size of my steak.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Default What have I found?

I was out looking for Morels where I found the false ones earlier, and got skunked for morels, but found these growing out the side of a semi-dieing tree. Smooth top, firm consistency and white frills below. Edible or inedible? To me they don't look like the oysters I see posted here, but growing conditions seem to be the same as oysters.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Rabies,

Do they smell of anise (licorice)?

You found oysters ( Pleurotus ostreatus) They will be everywhere soon.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Rabies,

Do they smell of anise (licorice)?

You found oysters ( Pleurotus ostreatus) They will be everywhere soon.
I can't detect any smell. They look like they'll be delicious! What's the preferred recipe for these?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayB's View Post
I can't detect any smell. They look like they'll be delicious! What's the preferred recipe for these?
Just fry them up, butter ( NOT margarine) and a bit of salt. Or any other way you like, they are firm and a bit chewy, good with steak, seafood and stir fry.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:48 PM

Thanks Walking Buffalo, I really appreciate your helpfulness!

Now I really need to find some morels!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Hello!,

I'm reviving this thread... Been doing a lot of research on Morel Mushrooms, and I would really like to get out this year and start picking... Im thinking of setting up camp somewhere in BC for weeks at a time to pick and sell Morel Mushrooms... Only problem is I don't know very much about it.. I've learned quite a bit, but I'm guessing putting it into practice is a different story.. Would also be nice to get some experience distinguishing the between the Morel and the Fake Morel.

Anyone here pick yearly? If so, Any chance I could do a tag-along... ideally I'm looking for anyone that is interested in picking hard for the season and trying to make some cash while enjoying the great outdoors.

PM me!

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM

Check this link out. This is the organization to join to learn.
www.wildmushrooms.ws/

They do organized forays, and you will learn first hand.

If you bounce me a PM in May, I can show you a few things.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM

Further to Bolete's link^^...

On Feb 24th in Cochrane, the M.D. of Bighorn will hold their 'Living in the Natural Environment 2012' speakers series, with Martin Osis, president of the Alberta Mycological Society giving a talk on 'shrooming in Alberta.
The other speaker will be Cliff White - talking about reintroducing bison to Banff National Park. Cost is $35 - dinner is included.
For more info, call 403 233-7678 or 403 673-3611